US quits Unesco over 'anti-Israel bias'

They say it's in Palestine, because it's in the West bank.

They don't have the right to determine whether or not any part of Area C in the West Bank is part of Palestine or part of Israel. You know why? Because those areas are disputed. According to the current, legally binding, peace treaty (aka international law) H1 is under Palestinian control and H2 is under Israeli control. When negotiations determine a final status, there will be a final status. In the meantime, international bodies should recognize the importance of the site to both cultures, and truthfully, its Jewish nature and origin.

They say it's in Palestine, because it's in the West bank.

They don't have the right to determine whether or not any part of Area C in the West Bank is part of Palestine or part of Israel. You know why? Because those areas are disputed. According to the current, legally binding, peace treaty (aka international law) H1 is under Palestinian control and H2 is under Israeli control. When negotiations determine a final status, there will be a final status. In the meantime, international bodies should recognize the importance of the site to both cultures, and truthfully, its Jewish nature and origin.

But they did recognize the important to ALL THREE cultures, not just the two. So what's the problem?

Shall I tell you the problem?

The US and Israel didn't want Hebron's old town to become a UNESCO World Heritage Site at all.

Basically it's people using UNESCO to promote their own politics. Then they complain when UNESCO doesn't do what they want it to do.

But they did recognize the important to ALL THREE cultures, not just the two. So what's the problem?

They assigned it to "Palestinian sovereignty" which is in error. It is not under Palestinian sovereignty. It is currently under shared sovereignty and its final status won't be known until a peace treaty is signed between Israel and some unknown future entity.

In other words, they are pre-supposing the final status of a tangible Jewish cultural heritage site.

Let's put into another perspective. What if UNESCO declared the Old City of Jerusalem, its walls and the entire Temple Mount as an Israeli cultural heritage site? How do you think the Arab Palestinians would react to that?

They assigned it to "Palestinian sovereignty" which is in error. It is not under Palestinian sovereignty. It is currently under shared sovereignty and its final status won't be known until a peace treaty is signed between Israel and some unknown future entity.

In other words, they are pre-supposing the final status of a tangible Jewish cultural heritage site.

Well, the assigned it to Palestine. Is it in Palestine? Yes.

They've recognized Palestine as a unit under UNESCO.

Jerusalem gets on the list as a separate entity too.

Take this

Old and New Towns of Edinburgh

Old Town Edinburgh

"the planned Georgian New Town of Edinburgh, Scotland,"

They say it's in Scotland. Oh, no. Do you see English people going fucking crazy because it's in SCOTLAND and not the United Kingdom?

Come on, Palestine has THREE World Heritage Sites and Israel has 9 and somehow there's biased against Israel.....

Or maybe it's the Israelis playing the pathetic victim again.

Let's put into another perspective. What if UNESCO declared the Old City of Jerusalem, its walls and the entire Temple Mount as an Israeli cultural heritage site? How do you think the Arab Palestinians would react to that?

Yes, I think they would react to that.

I think there are people using UNESCO on both sides for their pathetic games that cause too many problems and cost lives of people on both sides.

I think there are people using UNESCO on both sides for their pathetic games that cause too many problems and cost lives of people on both sides.

UNESCO should be above all that.

And what has UNESCO actually done? Nothing other than say that Hebron is inside the limits of one of its members.

Israel doesn't like that this is the case because Israel spends its whole time keeping the war going just so that it can take land whenever it thinks it can get away with it.

If Israel got the chance it would ethnically cleans the whole area, and no doubt the right win Palestinians would do the same.

So, it's in Palestine and Israel can't cope with that, it wants that land.

And what has UNESCO actually done? Nothing other than say that Hebron is inside the limits of one of its members.

Yep. Exactly. Which it has no right to do.

It has no right to say that something is inside one of its members?

Why does it need a right to do anything? Does it have any rights? Can a UN body have rights at all?

It certainly has the POWER to do this, and Israel has the power to play pathetic games over this pretending, somehow, that it's a victim of something or other. And the US has the power to pull out too because it licks Israel's ass all the time.

That's power for you.

I'm unclear where UNESCO has been "anti-Israel" for the US to decide to quit...

Is it because UNESCO granted membership to Palestine?

Feels a rather weak excuse if that is the case!

Saying that the Jewish people have no connection to Jerusalem Temple Mount is not being Anti-Israel?

Are you really that dance you don't see it?

UNESCO’s new head issues ‘don’t quit’ plea to US and Israel
Audrey Azoulay says she hopes member states will become more involved in organization rather than abandon it at its time of crisis

Azoulay reiterated that the “first thing she would endeavor” if confirmed by the General Conference in November, would be to “restore the credibility” of the organization and the confidence of member states.
Azoulay was named to head the UN’s embattled cultural agency on Friday, beating her Qatari rival after a politically charged contest clouded by Gulf tensions and accusations of anti-Israel bias...

UNESCO’s new head issues ‘don’t quit’ plea to US and Israel

She was minister of culture in France, her father Andre Azoulay is advisor to the royal family of Morocco.
But the question is to what extent does the head of UNESCO has any power to overrule biased, discriminatory decisions?

Pathetic much.

The U.S. and Israel are pulling out of UNESCO over what they call an ‘anti-Israel bias,’ but the move may actually underscore their bias towards basic Palestinian rights. Meanwhile, Palestinian factions Fatah and Hamas have reached a new unity deal.

Why UN should say “good riddance” to Israel
VIDEO OF THE DAY ~~ ‘GOOD RIDDANCE ISRAEL!’

Israel doesn't like that this is the case because Israel spends its whole time keeping the war going just so that it can take land whenever it thinks it can get away with it.

If Israel got the chance it would ethnically cleans the whole area, and no doubt the right win Palestinians would do the same.

I guess that not being Jewish, you don't understand the visceral Jewish reaction to a political party calling not only the city of Hebron, but even the Tomb of the Patriarchs/ Cave of Machpelah, a Palestinian heritage site. It's the second holiest spot in Judaism, and it's where the Fathers and Mothers of the Jewish People are buried (namely Abraham and Sarah, Isaac and Rebecca, and Jacob and Leah). It's like if you came to your parents' graves to bring some flowers and you see someone changing the names on their tombstones. So you ask, "What the hell do you think you're doing? Those are my parents' graves!" And they say, "No, they aren't and we're putting their real names on here. And furthermore, we're going to have to protect these tombstones, because they're in danger of being destroyed!" "By whom?" "By you, of course."

I guess that not being Jewish, you don't understand the visceral Jewish reaction to a political party calling not only the city of Hebron, but even the Tomb of the Patriarchs/ Cave of Machpelah, a Palestinian heritage site. It's the second holiest spot in Judaism, and it's where the Fathers and Mothers of the Jewish People are buried (namely Abraham and Sarah, Isaac and Rebecca, and Jacob and Leah). It's like if you came to your parents' graves to bring some flowers and you see someone changing the names on their tombstones. So you ask, "What the hell do you think you're doing? Those are my parents' graves!" And they say, "No, they aren't and we're putting their real names on here. And furthermore, we're going to have to protect these tombstones, because they're in danger of being destroyed!" "By whom?" "By you, of course."

Has UNESCO changed the names of things?

No, they haven't changed the name of things. This is just people trying to get angry because they want to be angry.

Forum List

Back