US Navy veteran ordered to remove American flag wrap from mailbox

A mailbox covered with the American flag is at the center of a dispute brewing between a retired U.S. veteran and a homeowners association in Florida.

I agree with the HOA. I don't understand why people move into neighborhoods with an HOA and then complain when they get dinged for not following the rules. The HOA says he can fly 4 flags total year round. He can also put the American flag wrap on his mailbox during July 4th - 30 days before and 15 days after. It sounds reasonable to me. The HOA is designed to keep property values up for everyone. They have to draw a line somewhere. I would tell this vet to just fly 1-4 flags and take the wrap off his mailbox 15 days after July 4th or move to a house with no HOA.
Yep...no sense having pride in our nation. Guess that HOA will defend our nation. Fucking assholes.

So he can't show pride by flying the American flag outside his house?

The important point here is he can fly a flag. He can fly 4 in fact. He can even put the flag on his mailbox during and around the July 4th. The HOA just wants to keep a uniform mailbox during other times. Sounds to me he's just being difficult for no reason.
So what does the HOA feel about the United States Postal Service delivering the mail in their red , white, and blue truck with American flag on it by a letter carrier who is most likely a veteran?

The mailman didn't sign the HOA agreement and his truck isn't a permanent fixture so the HOA would be fine with it. If this is your way of supporting your side I think you lose.

A mailbox covered with the American flag is at the center of a dispute brewing between a retired U.S. veteran and a homeowners association in Florida.

I agree with the HOA. I don't understand why people move into neighborhoods with an HOA and then complain when they get dinged for not following the rules. The HOA says he can fly 4 flags total year round. He can also put the American flag wrap on his mailbox during July 4th - 30 days before and 15 days after. It sounds reasonable to me. The HOA is designed to keep property values up for everyone. They have to draw a line somewhere. I would tell this vet to just fly 1-4 flags and take the wrap off his mailbox 15 days after July 4th or move to a house with no HOA.

Are you going to agree with the HOA when they tell you what words you can't speak because it's " Their Law"

I’m convinced that most people who buy into mandatory HOA neighborhoods have no idea what they’re stepping into – until they run afoul of the association board.

If you don’t already get it, the primary purpose of HOAs is to maintain and improve property values in the neighborhood. Before you go thinking that’s a good thing, imagine that your house is controlled by a stock broker, who’s only objective is to increase the value of your property.

Once you’ve been prohibited from doing something with your property, or made to do something you don’t want to, you begin to get a clearer picture of what’s really going on.

To add insult to injury, should you be found to be in violation the HOA has the legal right to impose legally enforceable fines on you, that are automatically attached to your property.

Some Real Life Examples of What an HOA Can Do

Why You Should Avoid Buying in HOA Neighborhoods

I have to side with the HOA on this one. I don't see the "1st amendment right" argument some are making. All cities that I have ever lived in have laws dealing with signage and folks don't make a federal issue out of it. With permission to fly 4 flags I don't see he is being unduly restrained from getting his message out.

Yep...no sense having pride in our nation. Guess that HOA will defend our nation. Fucking assholes.

So he can't show pride by flying the American flag outside his house?
Not what is true at all.

Although I agree that HOA can have rules, my question is why there is even rule that prevent flying American flag in America. Who can be offended by that anyways?

Last edited:
For this guy and all the flag forcers.

Suppose a neighbor wants to paint a flag the size of his driveway on his driveway? It immediately brings down the property values on the entire street. Or what about someone that wants to paint the front of their entire house as an American flag? It would drive property values down. Or perhaps put in a red white and blue striped lawn.

As the OP says, if you read the rules and sign the rules of the HOA before moving in then you are violating your own oath. Your signature.

It is so tiring people that think rules don't apply to them. Yes we all love the flag, now paint the inside of your bedroom as a huge flag and you have no problems. Or put in a flag carpet. Or order red white and blue toilet paper.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q4IIF22/?tag=ff0d01-20

For this guy and all the flag forcers.

Suppose a neighbor wants to paint a flag the size of his driveway on his driveway? It immediately brings down the property values on the entire street. Or what about someone that wants to paint the front of their entire house as an American flag? It would drive property values down. Or perhaps put in a red white and blue striped lawn.

As the OP says, if you read the rules and sign the rules of the HOA before moving in then you are violating your own oath. Your signature.

It is so tiring people that think rules don't apply to them. Yes we all love the flag, now paint the inside of your bedroom as a huge flag and you have no problems. Or put in a flag carpet. Or order red white and blue toilet paper.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Q4IIF22/?tag=ff0d01-20

He put the flag on the freaking mailbox.

HOA's can be rough. The HOA in the golf course property my folks are in can do shit like, if you don't mow your lawn regularly they can take over and send you the bill, or if you rent they can take you to court, if you put in more than something like 40% lawn vs "natural" landscaping they can come pull out the "offensive" bit, fix it, send you the bill. Thing is, it's a legally binding agreement tied to purchasing the property - gated community in this case (the M&M family home is there), but also with planned [un-gated] residential neighborhoods (an example of that near where I live is Eaglewood and I think Powder Ridge/Powder View have an HOA as well - I'm in an old school HOA that basically has no rules, but we have a community "plan" of sorts - monthly meetings to go over local shit and talk about bus stops and safe home locations etc, added benefit of thanking our police officers in person too, 7 officers live on my short street they even hunted down a "protected by Anchorage Police Department" sign for me <3 )

There was plenty to be proud of in 1945 and the 1969 moon landing was a proud moment too. Got anything else?

1st and 2nd Amendment.

If you don't like the rules......move elsewhere

4 flags is enough to show his patriotism. What if he wants to paint his house red, white and blue?

And what if the homeowner told the HOA to go fuck themselves, I'm not removing it?

What could the HOA do?

When my HOA tried to pull a similar type bullshit on me related to something I did, we went to magistrate's court. When I was done with them, I didn't have to tell them to go fuck themselves. The judge did, in a manner of speaking.

4 flags is enough to show his patriotism. What if he wants to paint his house red, white and blue?

Still determining things for others you have no place determining?

Oh Lord some pussy in the neighborhood probably got OFFENDED and cried to the HOA................

Want some damned Wine with that cheese.

BRAVO ZULU SHIPMATE..............

Not me....The HOA

I would never, never buy a house in an HOA. But if you are stupid enough to do so, you need to follow their stupid rules

Don't blame me if you have to take down your Christmas decorations by Jan 15 or have your garbage cans in by 6 PM the next day

Not me....The HOA

I would never, never buy a house in an HOA. But if you are stupid enough to do so, you need to follow their stupid rules

Don't blame me if you have to take down your Christmas decorations by Jan 15 or have your garbage cans in by 6 PM the next day

Oh, you're stupid enough to think I was referring to the HOA rule.

We have an HOA and we have found over the years that the best defense is to get on the board....my wife and I have tag teamed on that for almost 17 years now.....We've been lucky lately that most on the board (if you can get a quorum) are younger, gainfully employed people. It gets really dicey when you've got the older, retired crowd running things....they've got nothing better to do than run around and find "violations"...we had one older woman who we called the "palm frond lady" because anyone who had more than one brown palm frond on their palm trees, they got a violation....I think she was getting kick backs from the trimming company.

We have an HOA and we have found over the years that the best defense is to get on the board....my wife and I have tag teamed on that for almost 17 years now.....We've been lucky lately that most on the board (if you can get a quorum) are younger, gainfully employed people. It gets really dicey when you've got the older, retired crowd running things....they've got nothing better to do than run around and find "violations"...we had one older woman who we called the "palm frond lady" because anyone who had more than one brown palm frond on their palm trees, they got a violation....I think she was getting kick backs from the trimming company.

So you finally found something where you think it means you actually matter?

Forum List

Back