US Marines defile dead Afghans on camera

Back in those times Soldiers and Marines had a more free hand to get the job done, war crimes and other atrocities like that didn't start being reported until the Vietnam was when the press was following our troops every move. War is a ugly thing, if you really think all our troops were acting like boy scouts and saints during WW2 you are completely off the mark.

Never said they were boyscouts but it sure seems like there was more honor. I know my father would never even have thought about pissing on a dead body in WWII.

Let me ask you this. Do you think they should have pissed on them? What punishment should they receive? And if it were your brother who was pissed on, would you seek revenge?

I don't think they should have pissed on them, but I can understand why they did it. I was in the Military for 7 years and did 2 deployments to the Middle East, I was never in direct combat but I served with people who were, when you are sent on multiple deployments you end up dehumanizing your enemy in order to be able to successfully kill them and survive, this is something civilians have trouble comprehending apparently. No disrespect to your father but if he did piss on a dead Jap or Kraut, you think he would tell you about it? nobody who's really been in the shit likes to go around talking about it.

As far as the punishment for these Marines, I think they should be given a stern talking to and a refresher course on the ROE's and Geneva conventions.

i agree that they shouldn't have pissed on them and am surprised at anyone who picks this as a battle that they want to fight (that it's okay for US Military personnel to piss on dead bodies). i can understand debating their punishment but to say that it's okay to do is a bad side to take.

what do you think their CO thinks and what punishment do you think they'll actually get?

I am afraid this thread has gone to a pissing contest.

RimshotBadumtsh.jpg

Never said they were boyscouts but it sure seems like there was more honor. I know my father would never even have thought about pissing on a dead body in WWII.

Let me ask you this. Do you think they should have pissed on them? What punishment should they receive? And if it were your brother who was pissed on, would you seek revenge?

I don't think they should have pissed on them, but I can understand why they did it. I was in the Military for 7 years and did 2 deployments to the Middle East, I was never in direct combat but I served with people who were, when you are sent on multiple deployments you end up dehumanizing your enemy in order to be able to successfully kill them and survive, this is something civilians have trouble comprehending apparently. No disrespect to your father but if he did piss on a dead Jap or Kraut, you think he would tell you about it? nobody who's really been in the shit likes to go around talking about it.

As far as the punishment for these Marines, I think they should be given a stern talking to and a refresher course on the ROE's and Geneva conventions.

i agree that they shouldn't have pissed on them and am surprised at anyone who picks this as a battle that they want to fight (that it's okay for US Military personnel to piss on dead bodies). i can understand debating their punishment but to say that it's okay to do is a bad side to take.

what do you think their CO thinks and what punishment do you think they'll actually get?

I am not sure what their CO thinks but since this is all over the web now their careers could probably be ended by this, it depends how bad this blows out with the media though.

I am not sure what their CO thinks but since this is all over the web now their careers could probably be ended by this, it depends how bad this blows out with the media though.

agreed.

i do think it's another headache that higher ups in the military didn't want to have to deal with. they have an almost impossible task as it is. little stuff like this probably drives them crazy (as they try to get assistance/cooperation from crazy groups/people around the world).

agreed.

i do think it's another headache that higher ups in the military didn't want to have to deal with. they have an almost impossible task as it is. little stuff like this probably drives them crazy (as they try to get assistance/cooperation from crazy groups/people around the world).

Oh you are 100% correct, its hard enough being over there just doing your job without having to deal with a media war and everyone trying to find out what these Marine's punishments will be.

Forum List

Back