US has hIghest teen pregnancy rate of industrialized nations

The point of your OP was that abstinence ed contributes to teen pregnancy. I say that is way overblown. Fatherless daughters have a higher pregnancy rate - look it up. Fatherless children receive more entitlements - look it up. Common sense seems to have no place in discussions anymore. No wonder these kids are so messed up.

Stop making excuses for irresponsible behavior. If a teen is "mature enough" to have sex, they have to be mature enough to accept the consequences. That goes for the boys as well. Sperm donors do not daddies make.

So why can't we expect teens to accept the consequences and also teach them about birth control?

I fail to see how those two things are at odds with each other.

Good topic. Could be a good debate.
Instead it went to crap.
They always do.
The flag waverz declare FreeDumb of speech and want zero control over the internet.
The reason China got on Google's ass is a search for a medical problem...."trouble swallowing".........returns something completely different than the intent of the search.

Well, not my problem, its the parents. So when I have a kid, I'll do my part to teach them to be responsible. Another thing I'll do is not vote for any abstinence only pushing politicians.

what's up with people thinking posting opinions on message boards and making threads means anything other than posting opinions to kill some time and see how other's feel on the matter. I'm not out on any crusade or anything, geez

you're so quick to criticize someone else who's doing something to try to alleviate the problem that i thought maybe you had a reason other than being a raving asshat.

my mistake, sorry.

What's wrong with pointing out that what they're doing to try to solve the problem won't work?

It would work if people would do it?? The solution is good. you ever hear of long distance pregnancy?? DUmmie?

You dummies keep saying abstinence don't work... it would if people abstained.. now wouldn't it?? so the problem isn't abstinence,, it's compliance.

You dummies keep saying abstinence don't work... it would if people abstained.. now wouldn't it?? so the problem isn't abstinence,, it's compliance.

Yeah and people are not listening, and you can't force compliance.

So why not also teach them about safer sex?

Logic and expoerience is the best source.

If you prefer to read it somewhere and not apply your own logic, go for it.

Certain things dont need "sources" to confrim.

Experience does not a scientific poll make. Also there's little logic to teens wanting to get pregnant, what possible good would come of that? And yes I know some teens (or at least that group from MA) decided to get pregnant but I have a hard time believing that most teens want to.

I apologize for posting an abbreviated post. my point would be understood based on the post I was responding to that simply asked "source"?

My source that teens get pregnant on pourpose is basic logic. Teens know that sex creates pregnancy. All teens (except rape) have sex on purpose. Therefore, they go through the necessary acts USED to get pregnant, on purpose.

The fact that they get pregnant is a rersult of an act done on purpose.

Just becuase they dont think it will happen to them does not minimize the fact that they know that the act can often cause pregnancy.

So yes, logic says that their getting pregnant is by no menas an accident.

Sorry if my abbreviated post was confusing to you.

Experience does not a scientific poll make. Also there's little logic to teens wanting to get pregnant, what possible good would come of that? And yes I know some teens (or at least that group from MA) decided to get pregnant but I have a hard time believing that most teens want to.

and no logic that simply telling kids "no" and nothing else means they won't have sex.

I even admitted in my post that of course not having sex is 100%, but telling people that does not stop them from having sex. maybe if we didn't stigmatize sex so much there wouldn't be as big a problem

and no logic that simply telling kids "no" and nothing else means they won't have sex.

I even admitted in my post that of course not having sex is 100%, but telling people that does not stop them from having sex. maybe if we didn't stigmatize sex so much there wouldn't be as big a problem

Or maybe if we did not make it so easy for them to rid themselves of the issue of pregancy, they would be a little more concerned about using protection?

Maybe?

We are not saying abstinence doesn't work, we are saying abstinence only education doesn't work, as kids will do it anyway, regardless of how much ytou tell them its wrong or they aren't supposed to

We are not saying abstinence doesn't work, we are saying abstinence only education doesn't work, as kids will do it anyway, regardless of how much ytou tell them its wrong or they aren't supposed to

Yes, this is true

and so what makes you think they will listen when you provide furthur details about cause and effect?

No doubt, all republicans were abstinent before they were married.
I don't believe you cold prove that. You could however prove that all unwed mothers had sex before they were married. Since most of those mothers are Democrats that goes to support the conclusion that Democrats are B@$^@&*$

Or maybe if we did not make it so easy for them to rid themselves of the issue of pregancy, they would be a little more concerned about using protection?

Maybe?

I really doubt that's the number one reason why they have unprotected sex, or even high on the list, as abortion is not some flippant little procedure that is not without risks. Kids can be dumb, fall to peer pressure, etc. As much as we want everybody to be responsible, sadly that is not the case. I think stressing sex ed, really driving home the consequences in showing nasty images of STD patients, and the struggles of pregnancy, on top of telling them they should not treat sex very loosely, would help.

We are such prudes compared to many european countries when it comes to sex, which does seem to correlate with our teen pregnancy rate. Same with alcohol, kids drink with parents in europe and don't nearly have as much problem with drinking issues as we do in the US> ANd what happens to kids from extremely strict parents that forbid them from doing anything, when they go to college? They tend to go overboard with binge drinking.

Focus on the 'tend", I'm not making statements that everybody does it, as I've found many people usually like to imply

yes, that's the ticket, get em drunk, legalize marijuana, and teach them about condoms.. problem solved.. good job libruls..

Maybe?

I really doubt that's the number one reason why they have unprotected sex, or even high on the list, as abortion is not some flippant little procedure that is not without risks. Kids can be dumb, fall to peer pressure, etc. As much as we want everybody to be responsible, sadly that is not the case. I think stressing sex ed, really driving home the consequences in showing nasty images of STD patients, and the struggles of pregnancy, on top of telling them they should not treat sex very loosely, would help.

We are such prudes compared to many european countries when it comes to sex, which does seem to correlate with our teen pregnancy rate. Same with alcohol, kids drink with parents in europe and don't nearly have as much problem with drinking issues as we do in the US> ANd what happens to kids from extremely strict parents that forbid them from doing anything, when they go to college? They tend to go overboard with binge drinking.

Focus on the 'tend", I'm not making statements that everybody does it, as I've found many people usually like to imply

Fair enough. You make a good point. You made several valid points.

So your solution?

and so what makes you think they will listen when you provide furthur details about cause and effect?

HOw is being educated on forms of birth control and consequences of unprotected sex a bad thing? Nobody says we should just teach about birth control and not abstinence, but abstinence only doesn't teach them anything.

HOw is being educated on forms of birth control and consequences of unprotected sex a bad thing? Nobody says we should just teach about birth control and not abstinence, but abstinence only doesn't teach them anything.

What is a valid age to expose school children to sex ed?

Forum List

Back