US Government Spends A Record $433 Billion In One Month As Deficit Explodes

So Republicans did nothing, while Obama tripled it, and you're happy with the later?
You dopes always refer to Obama as if he never had to address a failing economy that no modern president has.
Spending was required to get us out of the hole we were in. The deficit was cut later.

Trump has blown those deficit reductions up in a good economy.
You mean the way you douchebags had to deal with the collapse of Clinton's tech bubble, 9/11 and the war on terror?

Great. What was left for Obama? He managed to reduce the deficit by nearly 75%.

How did Obama reduce the deficit by 75%? :popcorn:
We have cut 'our deficits by almost three-quarters,' Obama says in State of the Union

We, meaning not just Obama. My point (which I have been repeating a number of times) is that presidents are not in charge of the federal budget. Obama didn't reduce the deficit, the federal government did. Obama played a part, but saying it as though he went and reduced the budget by himself is ridiculous.

Only after he increased it by 150%

How did Obama increase the deficit by 150%?

The so-called "stimulus."

Ah. Was the stimulus passed by executive order? I thought Congress passed it and Obama signed it into law.
So Trump isn't responsible for the last budget Congress passed?

Only indirectly, as with any president.

As I've said, presidents can certainly influence budgets, but Congress has to pass them. People in the US seem to give presidents far too much credit and blame.

The last two Dem presidents were sincere as they both reduced the deficit, dope.

That's a bit of a misleading statistic where Obama is concerned, because the deficit in his first year was so astronomically high. Even then, the deficit went up in some of the Obama years, including going up at the end of his presidency.

Put another way, there was only one year during Obama's presidency in which the deficit was not higher than any year under any other president. In 2015 the deficit was $438 billion, which was less than the deficit in 2008. That's it. Every other year during Obama the deficit was higher than at any other point in US history.

It's great that the deficit went down from the almost $1.5 trillion of 2009. The situation was a lot different from other periods, though.

Besides, presidents don't hold the purse-strings. Congress should be looked at more than presidents when it comes to spending, IMO.

Is the U.S. Budget Deficit Really That Bad?

This shows both the president's party and which party has control of the senate and house, giving a more complete picture about who is in charge during different deficit years.
U.S. Federal Deficits, Presidents, and Congress

Great. Now take spending for inherited wars and recovery out of the equation and add the savings from deficit reductions back in.

Where's Trump's war and recovery spending?
Where's his deficit reduction and spending cuts? Is it even a priority? I haven't even heard him discuss it.

What does Trump have to do with this? I haven't claimed Trump is lowering deficits.

I never said he did. In fact I made the point that he has not.

Your points on Obama ignore the significant factors that required such spending when he entered office. The fact is, Obama made significant deficit reductions despite the shitshow he had to manage earlier.

Trump squandered those reductions for approval points.

There is no equivalency.

You misunderstand. I was asking what Trump had to do with this because you brought him up. Why bring him up when responding to me?

And to repeat: Congress holds the purse-strings, not the president. I don't deny that presidents influence congressional budgets, but this simplistic 'Obama lowered the deficit' as though he single-handedly wrote and passed the federal budget during his terms is just silly.

Obama worked with congress to do it just as Clinton did and just as Reagan and Bush did not.

Because this is the thread.

The better question is, why bring up Obama?

You dopes always refer to Obama as if he never had to address a failing economy that no modern president has.
Spending was required to get us out of the hole we were in. The deficit was cut later.

You mean the way you douchebags had to deal with the collapse of Clinton's tech bubble, 9/11 and the war on terror?

Only after he increased it by 150%

Because of what was left to him, dope.

There was no justification to pass a $1 trillion dollar "stimulus" that served only to keep parasites on the government payroll.

Your opinion. Nothing else.

That's a bit of a misleading statistic where Obama is concerned, because the deficit in his first year was so astronomically high. Even then, the deficit went up in some of the Obama years, including going up at the end of his presidency.

Put another way, there was only one year during Obama's presidency in which the deficit was not higher than any year under any other president. In 2015 the deficit was $438 billion, which was less than the deficit in 2008. That's it. Every other year during Obama the deficit was higher than at any other point in US history.

It's great that the deficit went down from the almost $1.5 trillion of 2009. The situation was a lot different from other periods, though.

Besides, presidents don't hold the purse-strings. Congress should be looked at more than presidents when it comes to spending, IMO.

This shows both the president's party and which party has control of the senate and house, giving a more complete picture about who is in charge during different deficit years.

Great. Now take spending for inherited wars and recovery out of the equation and add the savings from deficit reductions back in.

Where's his deficit reduction and spending cuts? Is it even a priority? I haven't even heard him discuss it.

What does Trump have to do with this? I haven't claimed Trump is lowering deficits.

Your points on Obama ignore the significant factors that required such spending when he entered office. The fact is, Obama made significant deficit reductions despite the shitshow he had to manage earlier.

There is no equivalency.

You misunderstand. I was asking what Trump had to do with this because you brought him up. Why bring him up when responding to me?

And to repeat: Congress holds the purse-strings, not the president. I don't deny that presidents influence congressional budgets, but this simplistic 'Obama lowered the deficit' as though he single-handedly wrote and passed the federal budget during his terms is just silly.

Obama worked with congress to do it just as Clinton did and just as Reagan and Bush did not.

You actually did in mentioning the last 2 Democratic presidents. I merely pointed out that the deficit being reduced during Obama was an unusual situation because the deficit was at $1.5 trillion in his first year, so using his presidency as an example of how Dems reduce deficits is misleading. That's also true because Congress was majority Republican for most of Clinton's terms.

Democrats, Republicans, both parties have generally increased the deficit and debt.

How did Obama reduce the deficit by 75%? :popcorn:
We have cut 'our deficits by almost three-quarters,' Obama says in State of the Union

We, meaning not just Obama. My point (which I have been repeating a number of times) is that presidents are not in charge of the federal budget. Obama didn't reduce the deficit, the federal government did. Obama played a part, but saying it as though he went and reduced the budget by himself is ridiculous.

So, you're saying that congressional Republicans will only lower deficits for Dem presidents? They certainly didn't for Repub presidents. Or maybe those Repub presidents just never asked them to?

There is no equivalency.

You actually did in mentioning the last 2 Democratic presidents. I merely pointed out that the deficit being reduced during Obama was an unusual situation because the deficit was at $1.5 trillion in his first year, so using his presidency as an example of how Dems reduce deficits is misleading. That's also true because Congress was majority Republican for most of Clinton's terms.

Democrats, Republicans, both parties have generally increased the deficit and debt.

It's not misleading in any way. You are attempting to make it so. Is that deliberate? Decreasing deficit spending reduces the deficit. Period. There is no other meaning you can apply.

There is no equivalency.

Yes. Dems just way, way less.

There is no equivalence to be made.

There is no equivalency.

It's not misleading in any way. You are attempting to make it so. Is that deliberate? Decreasing deficit spending reduces the deficit. Period. There is no other meaning you can apply.
So you support cutting Dim social programs?

Which ones?

The debt continues to grow, we just want to blame. Name the last President when the debt went down from the time they entered the office and when they left office.

Calvin Coolidge, the last conservative president.

Yep, since then the parties have just spent and spent and spent, but that is okay as long as yours is the one spending.
But there are different levels of bad spending. For instance deficits dropped drastically under Clinton and he ended with a balanced budget. Obama spent a ton to get out of a recession and then deficits declined. Now we are spending a ton in a good economy? WTF?

The Congress and the President, share the responsibility. Which again puts the blame on the two parties in charge.
We currently have one party in charge....

I realize that, my point I don’t hold. President entirely responsible for the debt, Congress is also a key factor. Neither party will do the right thing and cut spending, it political suicide to do so.

I am all for a huge cut in spending.

The Dems should cut the budget by $1 trillion after they win the house in 2 months.

When it comes to spending the only difference between the parties is what they overspend on not the overspending it's self.

Well, of course a big difference that has been drawn is in the actual efforts that have been made by one party to lower spending and the other party that seems to not only erase those gains but surpass the previous spending.

There is no way Republicans can call themselves fiscally responsible at all.

Calvin Coolidge, the last conservative president.

Yep, since then the parties have just spent and spent and spent, but that is okay as long as yours is the one spending.
But there are different levels of bad spending. For instance deficits dropped drastically under Clinton and he ended with a balanced budget. Obama spent a ton to get out of a recession and then deficits declined. Now we are spending a ton in a good economy? WTF?

The Congress and the President, share the responsibility. Which again puts the blame on the two parties in charge.

I realize that, my point I don’t hold. President entirely responsible for the debt, Congress is also a key factor. Neither party will do the right thing and cut spending, it political suicide to do so.

The last two Dem presidents did just that.

There is no difference between the two parties when it comes to spending. This you can count on, both parties will spend and spend when in office and both will complain about it when they are out of office.

Neither party will stop the madness. Higher taxes, cut spending is the only way out but neither side is interested in it.

There is no difference between the two parties when it comes to spending

There is a difference. Your false equivilancies won't change that fact.

The debt continues to grow, we just want to blame. Name the last President when the debt went down from the time they entered the office and when they left office.

You just want to blame equally.
Obviously that is not reality.

Better yet, name the last Republican President to lower the deficit.

No, I am being realistic, you can’t answer my question, he your silly deflection and in reality Congress is just as responsible for the huge debt.

/—-/ No, since you’re so dense, I’ll spell it out for you. If democRATs were sincere about reducing the deficit they would have offered their own balanced budget but they never did. Still confused?

The last two Dem presidents were sincere as they both reduced the deficit, dope.

Why should we take any of that out? When do you turds ever take the cost of Dim social programs out?
Repubs control everything and spending is out of control. No more excuses for you. Sorry.

They need to quit blaming, they need to be the conservatives they claim be.

The last two Dem presidents did just that.

Clinton had to deal with a GOP Congress as did Obama, which is always a good scenario, a Congress of NO is always good, we will see that after November.

Forum List

Back