US economic sanctions on Sudan double edged weapon

sudan

Oct 17, 2012
The Sudanese government could have taught US hard lesson in retaliation of the unilateral economic sanctions imposed on Sudan for 16 years.

These sanctions have delayed inauguration of White Nile Sugar Factory, a major sugar plant in Sudan. Unknown to Sudanese managers, the company providing plant software for Africa’s largest sugar plant had been bought out by a US company, which immediately applied sanctions, refusing to initiate satellite technology that engages machinery from thousands of miles away.

Later, the plant was eventually opened in July, months later than planned, after sanctions waiver licence was granted to the software company.

The economic sanctions are only political. Khartoum is skeptical after Washington failed to honour past promises to reward the north (Sudan) for allowing South Sudan to secede and accuses US of shifting the goalposts.

The sanctions are double edged weapon. In retaliation of US sanction, Sudan can stop exporting some articles including ethanol and gum Arabic.

US imports Gum Arabic from Sudan. The exception of gum Arabic exports from sanctions is expected to increase gum Arabic exports returns from $100 to $300 annually.

Lately, the managing director of Kenana Sugar Company announced that an American company has submitted a request to the US Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) to import Ethanol from Sudan.

Sudan can dispense with US. Sudan's rising oil production lured public and private investors from China, India, Malaysia etc . These countries have found Sudan a good place for investment.

LOL it thinks the USA needs mastic and ethanol from SUDAN-----
I have a strong impression that "sudan" does not know what
ethanol is. sudan dear------hint----I can make ethanol in my
kitchen if I so wish and gum arabic is not at all a rare commodity---
-----it seeps out of trees. A very good idea would be
bombing sudan out of existence (the country ---not our
dear fellow poster) That hell hole has been the center of
slave trade for more than 3000 years

Forum List

Back