US Coal Plant Closures Likely To Eliminate 30 Million Tons Of Annual Coal Demand

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
US Coal Plant Closures Likely To Eliminate 30 Million Tons Of Annual Coal Demand

April 24th, 2017 by Joshua S Hill

The United States is closing 46 coal-fired generating units at 25 electricity plants across 16 states over the next few years, transitioning to natural gas or intentionally closing them, and a new report shows that this will likely result in eliminating about 30 million tons of annual coal demand by the end of 2018.
The Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA) published its new research brief last week, working step-by-step through the implications inherent in the expected coal-fired generating closures over 2017 and 2018 (the full list can be seen at the bottom). The brief concludes that the expected closures will eliminate about 28.2 million tons of annual coal demand by the end of 2018, worth nearly $1.1 billion (2016 prices).

Coal is fucked.

The United States is closing 46 coal-fired generating units at 25 electricity plants across 16 states over the next few years, transitioning to natural gas or intentionally closing them, and a new report shows that this will likely result in eliminating about 30 million tons of annual coal demand by the end of 2018.
The Institute for Energy Economics and Financial Analysis (IEEFA) published its new research brief last week, working step-by-step through the implications inherent in the expected coal-fired generating closures over 2017 and 2018 (the full list can be seen at the bottom). The brief concludes that the expected closures will eliminate about 28.2 million tons of annual coal demand by the end of 2018, worth nearly $1.1 billion (2016 prices).

Coal is fucked.
Ah no moron it's not! My coal stocks are doing great! China just signed a trade deal with Trump.
China needs two million six hundred thousand tons per month! More then 70 percent of their energy comes from coal.
Moron

Great. Now all they have to do is find someone to buy that other 27.4 million tons.

Why am I not surprised that furby has coal stocks? Probably got tobacco, oil, asbestos, and weapons in his portfolio as well.
Conservative philosophy: If I can profit from it, I want it, no matter how much damage it causes.

Why am I not surprised that furby has coal stocks? Probably got tobacco, oil, asbestos, and weapons in his portfolio as well.
Conservative philosophy: If I can profit from it, I want it, no matter how much damage it causes.
nothing wrong with buying stock in any company

people will always smoke, drink, whatever whether or not you buy stocks in the companies that provide products that people CHOOSE to consume

tell me if people who smoke don't care about the damage they are doing to their bodies why the hell should anyone else?

25 Michigan coal plants are set to retire by 2020

East Jordan Iron Works also is building a new foundry and will eliminate coal.

No matter what Trump says everyone is going clean.
Not China! Coal does not have to be sold here to have a market now does it?
I think you might find some hard resistance in some of the port cities to handling coal. It is a filthy product, and where the rail lines follow the rivers, there will inevitably be trains going into the rivers.

nothing wrong with buying stock in any company

people will always smoke, drink, whatever whether or not you buy stocks in the companies that provide products that people CHOOSE to consume

tell me if people who smoke don't care about the damage they are doing to their bodies why the hell should anyone else?
Oh, I don't discourage people from smoking. After all, the more that smoke, the further the SS money goes. Especially if they kick off before they are 65.

Coal is fucked.

Reduction in supply in a country has no requirement to be matched with a reduction in demand. Was the report so STUPID as to say this directly, or is this just an ignorant poster who can't think repeating what some other idiot wrote who didn't know any better?

Coal is fucked.

Reduction in supply in a country has no requirement to be matched with a reduction in demand. Was the report so STUPID as to say this directly, or is this just an ignorant poster who can't think repeating what some other idiot wrote who didn't know any better?
Idiot poster.

Coal is fucked.

Didn't read the link, did you?

CT-Jo.png

Nearly 46 percent of the coal no longer required at these units, or 10.6 million tons, came from the Powder River Basin, and further 23.6 percent came from the Illinois Basin, making these the two hardest-hit regions,” said Seth Feaster, IEEFA data analyst and author of the report. Nearly 70% of coal that was purchased in 2016 was delivered to plants that will be closing.

“While some plants may have flexibility in which mine they purchase from, significant regional shifts in coal sourcing are unlikely, both because of economic reasons such as shipping costs and limits on changing the physical properties of the coal each plant uses,” the report explained. “This means that the coal shipments cited here are likely to represent permanent losses in demand for each mining region.”

The IEEFA also believe that coal mining operations in the Four Corners region of the Southwest US — Colorado, Utah, Arizona, and New Mexico — will take a sharp hit from plant closures. Additionally, those with operations in Appalachia and the Uinta Basin of Utah will continue to be affected, having already suffered loss of demand.

As for individual coal producers, Peabody Energy and Cloud Peak Energy are both expected to suffer the most. IEEFA predicts that by the end of 2018, Peabody Energy will lose nearly 4.9 million tons of coal sales to nine different plants — the most of any company. Cloud Peak Energy will suffer losses of 4.1 million tons to five plants.

Looks like a fairly well written article. If you shut down the coal fired plants, and the coal companies have no other customer, a lack of demand will result in a decrease in production.

Coal is fucked.

Idiot poster.
That is not a fact? So, why don't you post some links that prove otherwise?

Stands to reason. For twenty years or so the coal fired industries have been fined and over regulated. About the same time they relent and suck up a new sheriff comes to town who does not cow to the evironmentalists, wants to protect the coal industry, so now coal fired industries are supposed to reverse plans again. Penelope, you are simply amazing. What a crock you are. You are so far out of touch.

Stands to reason. For twenty years or so the coal fired industries have been fined and over regulated. About the same time they relent and suck up a new sheriff comes to town who does not cow to the evironmentalists, wants to protect the coal industry, so now coal fired industries are supposed to reverse plans again. Penelope, you are simply amazing. What a crock you are. You are so far out of touch.

They are choosing to go clean. Coal is a thing of the past, just like whaling. Neither was too healthy. Any black lung ex miner who wishes for his kids and their kids to work in the minds is nuts to wish that on your offspring.

They are choosing to go clean. Coal is a thing of the past, just like whaling. Neither was too healthy. Any black lung ex miner who wishes for his kids and their kids to work in the minds is nuts to wish that on your offspring.

Sadly, many of them do wish that, because they see no alternative. People will beg, fight, and pray for jobs that they know will kill them, if it's the only way they see to feed their families. You can't expect them to just walk away from the mines without training and alternative jobs to walk to. This is the tragic way Trump is failing the people in coal country. He keeps them tied to a dying technology until it will be too late for many to find something else.

Coal will be around much longer than you or I and there is nothing that you or I can do about that fact. As long as there is a need for coal. Go to post #2. While I do not care for his writing style, what he say's is very true. And China is simply the tip of the elephants trunk. There is an entire elephant behind it. As long as coal is a cheaper alternative, coal will be used. The cleaner cause costs money also and the end user controls that factor. Black lung is no joke and I do not make it out to be. However, the fact is, big industry is in business to make money and if they can and it can save a buck using coal, they will. And if mom and pop want to cook on coal they will also. It is called supply and demand.

Forum List

Back