US aid to Haiti =100 million. US banker annual salary bonus=100 million.

Yeah, I know he makes billions for the company. But is he worth $360,000 per day? I say this from the outside looking in, but nobody, NOBODY, should earn that kind of money. It's that our perception of money has become out of whack with reality. I bet that guy sits at home in a $30,000 recliner and thinks "I deserve this".

And what the fuck are you going to do when someone makes something that nets them more than that per day, like say Windows?

And that one guy was responsible for windows?

None of the programmers, hardware tech, testers, even janitors contributed a bit, it was all that CEO?

Yeah, I know he makes billions for the company. But is he worth $360,000 per day? I say this from the outside looking in, but nobody, NOBODY, should earn that kind of money. It's that our perception of money has become out of whack with reality. I bet that guy sits at home in a $30,000 recliner and thinks "I deserve this".

And what the fuck are you going to do when someone makes something that nets them more than that per day, like say Windows?

None of the programmers, hardware tech, testers, even janitors contributed a bit, it was all that CEO?

No but what the fuck happens when his cut gets bigger than that because it sells through the roof?

This nation is built on freedom, especially economic freedom. The idea that we should be able to tell other people they cant make a certain amount of money is absurd and unamerican. Let's just screw that guy because we wont do what he has done or cant do it. How does screwing other people over benefit us?

No but what the fuck happens when his cut gets bigger than that because it sells through the roof?

Well that is obviously the sales dept not the CEO.

the bigger the boss the more people they keep busy generating reports and spreadsheets for them.

the bigger the boss the more people they keep busy generating reports and spreadsheets for them.

So you can't think of a single scenario where someone could legitimately make more than that arbitrary number of yours?

So you can't think of a single scenario where someone could legitimately make more than that arbitrary number of yours?

Nope not doing it on his own.

CEO's have trouble wiping their own butts without a staff to help them.

Good CEO's are far more valuable in smaller companies. There the CEO wiull take a much more active role.

Your language weakens your replies. Seriously.

Without reading the thread, I'm going to assume someone pointed out the problems with salary caps for bankers. Never mind the fact the OP is comparing the aid that the U.S. Government gives compared to private industry earnings? :eusa_eh:

Beyonce and Jay Z made 260,000,000 dollars last year, should they have a cap on what they can earn?

and all the pro sports players......

no whining about that....just the guys in suits, they are evil because they don't shoot hoops, tackle, or hit home runs

liberal logic

Baseball is the only major sport without a salary cap.

The title says it all. One mans bonus (Goldman Sachs) can help an entire country. Its sickening. 100 million sounds like a lot to some people (most people), but to some, their annual "bonus" is just that, a bonus. What in the world does one person do to "earn" a bonus that big? It's because the banks are indeed, corrupt. This is why the middle class is going to disappear. We're going to end up like a 3rd world country, either filthy rich or dead broke. It might take a hundred years, but if we don't change something, it will happen, no more middle class.

How about a salary cap? Say only 10 million per year? Oh my, what will happen to those bankers? Can they scrape by on 10 million? I'm afraid they might go hungry........Do these bankers not have a conscious? Do they really think they are "worth" it? :eek:

Ok how about we salary cap all those professional sports stars? After all they make MILLIONS a year. If 100k is obscene then I can just imagine what you think of the MILLIONS a year.

How about Rock Stars and singers? Actors? Doctors?

This nation is built on freedom, especially economic freedom. The idea that we should be able to tell other people they cant make a certain amount of money is absurd and unamerican. Let's just screw that guy because we wont do what he has done or cant do it. How does screwing other people over benefit us?

I don't think screwing anyone over will benefit us. I'm just saying screwing over the MAJORITY for the benefit of a FEW is wrong. Especially when the majority has no control, and the few have all the control. What gets me fired up the most about the whole bank bailout ordeal was that hardly any of these guys were fired for making their banks fail. They were given bonuses! EVERYONE on this board would probably be fired if you did a horrible job at your company, or if you own your own business, you wouldn't be bailed out if you ran it into the ground. They weren't liable, and this is disgusting.

Again, I'm not so sure about salary caps. In one way, they sound good, but they aren't so good in other ways. I just threw it out as an idea. Off the top of my head, I can't think of ways salary caps would be bad, but I can think of many that would be good. They have even been debated in my industry. A salary cap would be horrible if you put it down low, good if you put it way up at the top.

The title says it all. One mans bonus (Goldman Sachs) can help an entire country. Its sickening. 100 million sounds like a lot to some people (most people), but to some, their annual "bonus" is just that, a bonus. What in the world does one person do to "earn" a bonus that big? It's because the banks are indeed, corrupt. This is why the middle class is going to disappear. We're going to end up like a 3rd world country, either filthy rich or dead broke. It might take a hundred years, but if we don't change something, it will happen, no more middle class.

How about a salary cap? Say only 10 million per year? Oh my, what will happen to those bankers? Can they scrape by on 10 million? I'm afraid they might go hungry........Do these bankers not have a conscious? Do they really think they are "worth" it? :eek:

Ok how about we salary cap all those professional sports stars? After all they make MILLIONS a year. If 100k is obscene then I can just imagine what you think of the MILLIONS a year.

Most professional sports already fall under a salary cap and they all have a rookie cap that ensures team control at a "cheap" price for the first few years of their career.

Most professional sports already fall under a salary cap and they all have a rookie cap that ensures team control at a "cheap" price for the first few years of their career.

Ya sure thing, they have a GENERAL cap that lets them pay a LOT for one guy if they want. Once again you are missing the point. It is NONE of your business how much someone gets paid. YOU have no right to demand they get paid less then they do. Nor are Bonuses your business.

"Ok how about we salary cap all those professional sports stars? After all they make MILLIONS a year. If 100k is obscene then I can just imagine what you think of the MILLIONS a year."

I'm not sure if you would call this a "cap", but here's an example from my sport, motorcycle racing. We have a huuuuuuuge salary range in our sport right now. Some make 800,000 per year that only race once! Then we get guys who race all season long, 16 races, risking their lives for around 60,000 per year. What has happened a few times in the past is that these title sponsors for the riders lose huge money and disappear. What some managers and agents have brought up is to set a cap at 100,000 per rider, then put the rest of the money into the purse money. You have to understand that currently to win a MAJOR race gets you around $10,000. No kidding. With the cap in place, a rider could win $80,000 per event, all the way down to $10,000 for last place. But you would have to race to earn it. Our problem right now is that riders aren't racing to earn it, they sign a contract, get hurt, sit out the season, and EVERYONE suffers. From the fans to the sponsors, and from the manufactures to the riders. And basically the sport in general.

The only ones that protest this are the guys at the top making the big bucks and thier agents. Kinda sounds like whats going on with our banking industry, only replace the riders with bankers, and agents with the government.

Last edited:

Ya sure thing, they have a GENERAL cap that lets them pay a LOT for one guy if they want. Once again you are missing the point. It is NONE of your business how much someone gets paid. YOU have no right to demand they get paid less then they do. Nor are Bonuses your business.

Actually, they have a fairly hard salary cap and if they go over it the owners have to pay a hefty luxury tax. This includes baseball, even though it doesn't have a formal salary cap like the other three majors. Look up how much money in luxury taxes the Yankees have paid in the last 10 years.

The rookie cap is also much more strict in all the sports.

And once again, you assume a position when I never gave one. What I did was correct your incorrect post. I never stated an opinion either way re: the OP.

I think It's best you stick to things you know something about.

"Ya sure thing, they have a GENERAL cap that lets them pay a LOT for one guy if they want. Once again you are missing the point. It is NONE of your business how much someone gets paid. YOU have no right to demand they get paid less then they do. Nor are Bonuses your business."[/QUOTE]

But when it does affect us, like with the banking industry, I think it should be some of our business. Did you and your children and grandchildren become exempt from paying taxes on the bailout plan? Of course not, you pay for the bonuses and salaries these bankers received on each and every paycheck you earn, and same with the next couple of generation of US employees who pay taxes.

"Ya sure thing, they have a GENERAL cap that lets them pay a LOT for one guy if they want. Once again you are missing the point. It is NONE of your business how much someone gets paid. YOU have no right to demand they get paid less then they do. Nor are Bonuses your business."

But when it does affect us, like with the banking industry, I think it should be some of our business. Did you and your children and grandchildren become exempt from paying taxes on the bailout plan? Of course not, you pay for the bonuses and salaries these bankers received on each and every paycheck you earn, and same with the next couple of generation of US employees who pay taxes.[/QUOTE]

Want to control bank pay? Buy stock in the bank till you have enough to matter and vote in the Board meetings. Asking the Government to ILLEGALLY cap a Private business is UNCONSTITUTIONAL.

So what your saying is that if someone thinks an employee is worth 100 million dollars, they shouldnt be allowed to pay him and that an employee is not allowed to negotiate the amount he feels he is worth just because you dont like it?

Why on earth should we lose our freedom to work hard and find the American dream just because you cant?

Those big megabucks are all done by a good ol boy network. Not HR and such.

And no that is not what I said. I said they do not deserve the big bucks for taking the risks, because there is no penalty for them failing.

The taxpayers paid the penalty, but get no benefit for the payout, are, instead, being penalized...

Forum List

Back