UNPRECEDENTED: Sen Shelby is placing a hold on ALL Nominees FOR WHAT? TO GET PORK!

And while we're all up-in-arms here, what of the higher maintenance costs, vastly lower efficiency and risks to our USAF servicemen of mechanical failure, by needlessly keeping in service aircraft built during the Eisenhower administration, all over mere politics?

This righteous indigence stuff cuts both ways, gang.

This disgusts me.
Sen. Richard Shelby (R-Ala.) on Thursday placed a blanket hold on all of President Barack Obama's nominees before the Senate, according to his spokesman.

Shelby's holds mean that the Senate cannot vote on a nominee unless the hold is broken using a cloture vote that requires 60 senators or if the senator lifts the hold.
Sen. Shelby puts hold on all Obama nominees - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room

Foul piece of shit senator.

Using extortion to get his Piggy Piggy PORK.

Picked up Jesse Helm's job, I see.

Crap, earmarks and pork nothing...Airbus/Northrop/Grumman won the bid to produce something to serve in one of the few actually legitimate functions of the federal gubmint.

You're going to get this when the previously agreed upon rules of the process are thrown out by fiat.

Unless I'm mistaken, and I'm not, Airbus is a European corporation.

This guy is upset because the Air Force chose a purely American contract instead of one that is at least partially foreign owned?

And because of THAT, he's holding up appointments necessary for defense?

And YOU of all people are defending this guy???

What about the term "consortium bid" is eluding you?

Northop/Grumman is still an American company which employs lots of American employees. Airbus was merely the engineer/designer and builder of major components to be assembled right here.

Crap, earmarks and pork nothing...Airbus/Northrop/Grumman won the bid to produce something to serve in one of the few actually legitimate functions of the federal gubmint.

You're going to get this when the previously agreed upon rules of the process are thrown out by fiat.

I completely agree that Airbus and Northrop got hosed, and Shelby should be pissed. However, federal defense spending IS NOT based on rational market mechanisms but instead on need and political expediency.

just a bit of trivia.

A new Iraqi army: In late June 2003, Vinnell won a $48m contract to train the nucleus of a new Iraqi Army. Vinnell and its subcontractors began working at various locations on July 1st under this one-year contract. 10

CAAT Publications - Northrup Grumman [US]

Vinnellis a subsidiary of Northrup Grumman.

They didn't want the Europeans to get the contract for our defense needs. Whether or not it was right or wrong is a different story and can be argued that we shouldn't outsource our defense needs to other countries.
It was a consortium bid. Most of the components would be built and all of the assembly would be done in America, by Northrop/Grumman and their contractors.

Well well well...what do we have here!!!!????
Political Shift
In the end, many analysts think the contract won't be decided on these exacting requirements but on politics. While the initial award was made when the Republicans were still in power and would have brought jobs to GOP strongholds such as Alabama and South Carolina, the political winds have since shifted. With the Democrats in control, that bodes well for Boeing, since most of its factories and employment hubs are concentrated in blue states such as Illinois, Connecticut, and Washington.
Already some Democrats, such as Senator Patty Murray (D-Wash.) and Representative John Murtha (D-Pa.), have pressed the Pentagon to pick Boeing, since the World Trade Organization issued a preliminary ruling in mid-September that European governments had given improper subsidies to Airbus.

A Twist in the Boeing-Airbus Tanker Saga - BusinessWeek

There was a whole logjam of nominees being held up over the seven or so "extremist" (i.e. not down-the-line liberal hack) judges. That's the fact.

BTW...If we were talking about a grant to the Montgomery Boll Weevil Museum here, I'd be on your side. But it's not.

The bid won by Airbus/Northrop/Grumman was thrown out for pure politics and nothing more. Crap like this is going to happen.

The Republicans blocked many multiples of nominees during the Clinton administration than the Democrats did during either Bush administration.

In fact the Republican-controlled Senate blocked approximately 60 Clinton nominees.

I completely agree that Airbus and Northrop got hosed, and Shelby should be pissed. However, federal defense spending IS NOT based on rational market mechanisms but instead on need and political expediency.
Expediency expediency, along with the laws that apply to the rest of us, dictate that the rules agreed upon beforehand should be enforced, with the consortium building the tanker.

Northop/Grumman is still an American company which employs lots of American employees. Airbus was merely the engineer/designer and builder of major components to be assembled right here.

I understood it perfectly. That's why my post reflected it.

The consortium you mention is partially a foreign entity, working on a defense contract.

Why would you be angry that we would choose a different contract that did not have a foreign component???

They didn't want the Europeans to get the contract for our defense needs. Whether or not it was right or wrong is a different story and can be argued that we shouldn't outsource our defense needs to other countries.
It was a consortium bid. Most of the components would be built and all of the assembly would be done in America, by Northrop/Grumman and their contractors.

Political Shift
In the end, many analysts think the contract won't be decided on these exacting requirements but on politics. While the initial award was made when the Republicans were still in power and would have brought jobs to GOP strongholds such as Alabama and South Carolina, the political winds have since shifted. With the Democrats in control, that bodes well for Boeing, since most of its factories and employment hubs are concentrated in blue states such as Illinois, Connecticut, and Washington.
Already some Democrats, such as Senator Patty Murray (D-Wash.) and Representative John Murtha (D-Pa.), have pressed the Pentagon to pick Boeing, since the World Trade Organization issued a preliminary ruling in mid-September that European governments had given improper subsidies to Airbus.

Been trying to say....

Thanks for digging that up. :)

Expediency expediency, along with the laws that apply to the rest of us, dictate that the rules agreed upon beforehand should be enforced, with the consortium building the tanker.

Sweet, so when the Bush administration awarded no-bid defense contracts to Halliburton, the Democrats should have responded by filibustering all nominees.

Is that your assertion?

Been trying to say....

Thanks for digging that up. :)

No worries. I knew there had to be some reason why this whole thing was being pre-emptively blamed on Republicans.

I understood it perfectly. That's why my post reflected it.

The consortium you mention is partially a foreign entity, working on a defense contract.

Why would you be angry that we would choose a different contract that did not have a foreign component???
Americans were fine flying the P-51, which was built to a Brit spec and ultimately fitted with a Rolls Royce engine, when it suited us.

After a bit of research it appears that Northrup grumman is pretty much THE military industrial complex.
They are the only ones to build nuclear powered carriers. Have the largest shipyard. are one of 2 that build nuke submarines. Have subsidiaries such as Vinnell which are suppliers of mercenaries and such.

do some research folks.

I tell ya, it's pretty fucked when we are almost 18 months since Obama's election we STILL don't have an NSA director confirmed yet.

Let's see. Sen. Shelby put a hold on nominees yesterday. So what's Barry's reason for not getting an NSA director in the 17 mos and 29 days prior to yesterday? Could it be he was busy failing to capture the Olympics and picking up his Nobel Prize instead of focusing on the job he was hired to do? It's not as if he hasn't had a filibuster proof Congress for most of the last year.

Sweet, so when the Bush administration awarded no-bid defense contracts to Halliburton, the Democrats should have responded by filibustering all nominees.

Is that your assertion?

I would think not because when Clinton awarded all of those no bid contracts to Halliburton the Democrats didn't filibuster those either.

Is that your assertion?
Are just playing dumb here?

First of all, Halliburton has had no-bid contracts for decades and throughout several administrations, with different parties controlling congress.

This situation involves the blatant voiding of a competitive bid process, for no better reason than political grandstanding.

HUGE difference.

Americans were fine flying the P-51, which was built to a Brit spec and ultimately fitted with a Rolls Royce engine, when it suited us.

So it's ok now to favor a European-Government subsidized foreign manufacturer, as part of a consortium, rather than go with a purely American manufacturer, because people made have done it in the past? On a contract that directly effects our national security?

Especially now, when the country is starving for jobs?

Come on, is this seriously the argument here?

And then a Senator throws a hissy fit about it, and as a result, blocks federal nominees?

And you're defending that???

I tell ya, it's pretty fucked when we are almost 18 months since Obama's election we STILL don't have an NSA director confirmed yet.

Let's see. Sen. Shelby put a hold on nominees yesterday. So what's Barry's reason for not getting an NSA director in the 17 mos and 29 days prior to yesterday? Could it be he was busy failing to capture the Olympics and picking up his Nobel Prize instead of focusing on the job he was hired to do? It's not as if he hasn't had a filibuster proof Congress for most of the last year.
A single senator can place an anonymous hold on any appointee.

At this point right now, there are something like 170 unconfirmed nominees that are being held up.

Tell me you didn't know this.

Forum List

Back