Universe has 2 trillion galaxies, astronomers say

Hubble telescope images from deep space were collected over 20 years to solve the puzzle of how many galaxies the cosmos harbors

There are a dizzying 2 trillion galaxies in the universe, up to 20 times more than previously thought, astronomers reported on Thursday. The surprising finding, based on 3D modeling of images collected over 20 years by the Hubble Space Telescope, was published in the Astronomical Journal.

Scientists have puzzled over how many galaxies the cosmos harbors at least since US astronomer Edwin Hubble showed in 1924 that Andromeda, a neighboring galaxy, was not part of our own Milky Way. But even in the era of modern astronomy, getting an accurate tally has proven difficult.

To begin with, there is only part of the cosmos where light given off by distant objects has had time to reach Earth. The rest is effectively beyond our reach. And even within this “observable universe”, current technology only allows us to glimpse 10% of what is out there, according to the new findings.

Imagine how many planets?? Hard to believe there' aint life on none of them.
Not hard at all. You are assuming that life is the result of evolution. There is plenty of real science that shows a naturalistic origin is probably impossible. Even the simplest life has thousands of components that must be in place at the same time for life to exist. There is no way that this could happen by chance. In other words, life had a Creator. No other explanation makes sense.

There was a thread here a while ago, which argued a bio centric universe, after a theory of prof. Lanza and co. I think it is possible that life comes from where everything was before the Big Bang.

Life is a construction of particular atoms, many of which can only be created inside stars and some of which can only be created when a star explodes. Life is a result of the creation and death of stars and the elements they produce. It all happened in this universe.

ONE ASPECT of life is ... all that you have written here.

I can't believe that in this day, and age; the very people who's lives as they know them, the decisions that they will make, and the first to run to science for tangible, real results... Try to deny the very science that makes their lives possible.

Odd yes, science is to be revered if your doctor prescribes something or tells you you have liver disease and need surgery, or cancer, but anything that doesn't benefit these people is just 'scientific speculation'.

I find it so childishly lame and laughable. The thread is about 2 trillion galaxies and I am awed not only at the number but that we live in a time when the human race can make such discoveries.

I wonder though, who counted them!

Last edited:
Hubble telescope images from deep space were collected over 20 years to solve the puzzle of how many galaxies the cosmos harbors

There are a dizzying 2 trillion galaxies in the universe, up to 20 times more than previously thought, astronomers reported on Thursday. The surprising finding, based on 3D modeling of images collected over 20 years by the Hubble Space Telescope, was published in the Astronomical Journal.

Scientists have puzzled over how many galaxies the cosmos harbors at least since US astronomer Edwin Hubble showed in 1924 that Andromeda, a neighboring galaxy, was not part of our own Milky Way. But even in the era of modern astronomy, getting an accurate tally has proven difficult.

To begin with, there is only part of the cosmos where light given off by distant objects has had time to reach Earth. The rest is effectively beyond our reach. And even within this “observable universe”, current technology only allows us to glimpse 10% of what is out there, according to the new findings.

Imagine how many planets?? Hard to believe there' aint life on none of them.
Agreed. Of course we still have Fermi's Paradox.

It appears that part of the reason might because life is extremely rare. That intelligent life is even rarer. Our own history is filled with lucky chances. The human race almost died out in Africa before exploding into fruition. The planet has experienced several impact events and supervolcanoes, which we could experience again. Effectively wiping us out as a civilization and even a species.

Odd yes, science is too be revered if your doctor prescribes something or tells you you have liver disease and need surgery, or cancer, but anything that doesn't benefit these people is just 'scientific speculation'.

I find it so childishly lame and laughable.
OK. Answer me this. What experimental evidence exists that supports a naturalistic origin of life? Give me just one example. And speaking of doctors, they kill more people than guns do. Know why? Because the pharmaceutical companies are corrupt, money grubbing bastards. Doctors prescribe this poison, because there is no alternative. Then there is endemic malpractice involved too. Anyway, none of this is relevant to the discussion we are having. We were discussing the origin of life.Not doctors.

Odd yes, science is too be revered if your doctor prescribes something or tells you you have liver disease and need surgery, or cancer, but anything that doesn't benefit these people is just 'scientific speculation'.

OK. Answer me this. What experimental evidence exists that supports a naturalistic origin of life? Give me just one example. And speaking of doctors, they kill more people than guns do. Know why? Because the pharmaceutical companies are corrupt, money grubbing bastards. Doctors prescribe this poison, because there is no alternative. Then there is endemic malpractice involved too. Anyway, none of this is relevant to the discussion we are having. We were discussing the origin of life.Not doctors.

Nah, the thread is about galaxies.

Then why are you discussing the Origin of life? Granted, I brought up the topic of Creation, but you ran with it. Me thinks, thou doth protest too much.

Then why are you discussing the Origin of life? Granted, I brought up the topic of Creation, but you ran with it. Me thinks, thou doth protest too much.
77c.jpg

Absence of evidence isn't evidence of absence. We didn't know what atoms looked like until the last century, but the idea dates back to the Greeks. Just because we don't know how life started doesn't mean it can't happen. As posted above, I think it's extremely rare.

That said, I believe in an Almighty. I'm not a Bible literalist, but I definitely believe God is powerful enough and knowledgeable enough to figuratively cast out a handful of sand and know that in 13.8 Billion years life would spring forth like a farmer sowing a field.

How do they know that?
I mean if Universe is endless how could they be so accurate? :eusa_think:

The universe isn't endless. It's estimated to be about 150 billion light years across. It started expanding at the point of the Big Bang and space itself is not bound by the speed of light so it has been expanding faster than the speed of light. Apparently.

But are we the only Universe?

But are we the only Universe?
No, we are not the only universe.

There has already been evidence found of previous universes and we have very consistent and strong theories supported by other evidence that there are other universes parallel to ours.

Life is a construction of particular atoms, many of which can only be created inside stars and some of which can only be created when a star explodes. Life is a result of the creation and death of stars and the elements they produce. It all happened in this universe.
That is one theory. A materialistic perspective on the question.

Another is that the universe and matter itself does not have a certain level of existence unless it is perceived by a sentient being.

I can't believe that in this day, and age; the very people who's lives as they know them, the decisions that they will make, and the first to run to science for tangible, real results... Try to deny the very science that makes their lives possible.
Or the Law Maker upon which the very notion of the Laws of Science are based.

There's a shitload of them. Why don't you think we've had first contact yet? Do you think there is evidence on Earth of previous extraterrestrial contact?

The distances are too great and we've only been transmitting signal for at maximum 100 years. And according to the link a general radio wave or tv wave degrades as it heads out into space. Only a focused signal would travel any meaningful distance and be picked up. I didn't know this until reading the article. It appears most of what has been transmitted from Earth is only viable for a few lights years away, after that it becomes very difficult to pick out patterns against background noise. The same would be the case of signals reaching us from elsewhere. It appears to be a huge hurdle for coherent contact between intelligences across the vastness of space. But, it isn't impossible. We're talking only a few light years so far, while our galaxy alone is 100,000 light years across.

How Far Have Our Radio Signals Traveled From Earth?

There isn't any evidence I've seen that extraterrestrials have visited Earth before or currently. We'd have something concrete.

As far as other universes this is only speculation at the moment. Mathematically possible and I think probable according to some physicists, but certainly no evidence. If they were to spring up I would guess they would be related to super-massive black holes. Somehow a new 'bubble' erupts out of a smbh into another dimension because of the gravity and energies involved. But no evidence of this. We also see streams of particles emitted from huge black holes. This seems counter-intuitive to me. If a black hole is so dense and has such immense gravity that even light can't escape then how does anything escape. I've also read that super-massive black holes are what produce dark matter as the center of smbh operate outside normal space.

Incredible and infinitely interesting to say the least.

Last edited:
There's a shitload of them. Why don't you think we've had first contact yet? Do you think there is evidence on Earth of previous extraterrestrial contact?

The distances are too great and we've only been transmitting signal for at maximum 100 years. And according to the link a general radio wave or tv wave degrades as it heads out into space. Only a focused signal would travel any meaningful distance and be picked up. I didn't know this until reading the article. It appears most of what has been transmitted from Earth is only viable for a few lights years away, after that it becomes very difficult to pick out patterns against background noise. The same would be the case of signals reaching us from elsewhere. It appears to be a huge hurdle for coherent contact between intelligences across the vastness of space. But, it isn't impossible.

How Far Have Our Radio Signals Traveled From Earth?

There isn't any evidence I've seen that extraterrestrials have visited Earth before or currently. We'd have something concrete.

As far as other universes this is only speculation at the moment. Mathematically possible and I think probable according to some physicists, but certainly no evidence. If they were to spring up I would guess they would be related to super-massive black holes. Somehow a new 'bubble' erupts out of a smbh into another dimension because of the gravity and energies involved. But no evidence of this. We also see streams of particles emitted from huge black holes. This seems counter-intuitive to me. If a black hole is so dense and has such immense gravity that even light can't escape then how does anything escape. I've also read that super-massive black holes are what produce dark matter as the center of smph operate outside normal space.

Incredible and infinitely interesting to say the least.

I expect the following to be true:

1. There are millions of sentient species in our galaxy as the number of planets to each star is far higher than ever imagined before and life is capable of existing on nearly all of them.

2. The first few sentient species that were capable of manipulating and designing tools likel hit space travel millions of years ago if there is even a 1% variation on the time required to achieve this over the course of billions of years of life. This implies that they have been traveling throughout the galaxy for millions of years as well.

3. They are likely already here inhuman form and they likely have been searching for other life forms in order to subtley guide us to a cultural condition that will allow us to adopt to interstellar association and trade ( assuming we have anything that they could plausibly want from us).

4. They are good beings that are likely the inspiration for most of our religious books and traditions. We have absolutely nothing to fear from them at all.

Forum List

Back