Universal background checks

So... the same list we have now, with the same information?

The difference, in the what they are talking about here in Virginia, is that the check is not just available to gun dealers. I think there needs to be some protections in it so people don't just go around doing background checks on people to see if they can't pass a background check. So, you could require a small fee like $5 or $10. And, you could make them fill out a form of some sort. It gets tricky though. I don't think you want them to put any details about the gun being transferred. That's not the point. The point is to know whether somebody knows this guy is a potential bad actor or not and to not use it as a cheap employment background check.
That's why whatever law they come with for UBC will require a dealer for the transfer.

Just say NO to UBC! I will not comply. But, the system they are talking about here is for a voluntary background check for private sellers.

That would be a half a loaf. Right now, private sellers can sell the weapons they own and they can't do a background check on whoever they sell it to. Given the chance, probably many private sellers would if it weren't too much of a pain in the butt. Nobody (law abiding that is) wants to sell a gun to a bad gun. It would suck to be robbed at the point of a gun you used to own. So, that program would help some. It's not universal so it keeps the government a little unsure of themselves which is better for all of us.

The sex offender list has details of the conviction. A "Gun Restriction List" would be a simple Yes or No. That should not cause many problems.

What is the alleged purpose of this list? I mean other than notify the gov't whose house needs to be raided first.
Does anyone really think criminals will declare their guns?

The government already has this list. They should make this list public so we can all keep an eye out to make sure we don't let them have a gun. Those violent people with guns reflect poorly on us rational "Good Guy" gun owners. It is in all of our interest to keep guns out of their hands, not just the gun shops who keep records of those of us who bought guns legally.

I don't think the names on the list should be made available, but I do think that if I want to sell my gun to someone, I should have the option of checking the list.

The sex offender list has details of the conviction. A "Gun Restriction List" would be a simple Yes or No. That should not cause many problems.

What is the alleged purpose of this list? I mean other than notify the gov't whose house needs to be raided first.

The list is just the one we already have now. The difference is who has access to check against the list. The return being, yes you can sell to this individual or no you cannot sell to this individual. The list would just be everyone you shouldn't sell to so I'm not sure how it would help you figure out who to raid. Most of the list would be felons. They probably have guns anyway, being as how they're criminals. Probably ought to check the crazies too. So, I don't think it helps in the raiding area.

If I'm a felon with a gun to sell why would I care who I sold it to?

The government already has this list. They should make this list public so we can all keep an eye out to make sure we don't let them have a gun. Those violent people with guns reflect poorly on us rational "Good Guy" gun owners. It is in all of our interest to keep guns out of their hands, not just the gun shops who keep records of those of us who bought guns legally.

I don't think the names on the list should be made available, but I do think that if I want to sell my gun to someone, I should have the option of checking the list.

You already ahve the option of taking the gun and the buyer to a licensed dealer to do the background check.

The difference, in the what they are talking about here in Virginia, is that the check is not just available to gun dealers. I think there needs to be some protections in it so people don't just go around doing background checks on people to see if they can't pass a background check. So, you could require a small fee like $5 or $10. And, you could make them fill out a form of some sort. It gets tricky though. I don't think you want them to put any details about the gun being transferred. That's not the point. The point is to know whether somebody knows this guy is a potential bad actor or not and to not use it as a cheap employment background check.
That's why whatever law they come with for UBC will require a dealer for the transfer.
Just say NO to UBC! I will not comply. But, the system they are talking about here is for a voluntary background check for private sellers.
Private sellers always have the option to complete the transaction thru a dealer, if they are so motivated.

yep, especially if that is the loophole we are allegedly trying to close. so are we ready to start creating siuch lists and making them public? I mean, that is what anti gun liberals are really suggesting

The list is just the one we already have now. The difference is who has access to check against the list. The return being, yes you can sell to this individual or no you cannot sell to this individual. The list would just be everyone you shouldn't sell to so I'm not sure how it would help you figure out who to raid. Most of the list would be felons. They probably have guns anyway, being as how they're criminals. Probably ought to check the crazies too. So, I don't think it helps in the raiding area.

The crazy felons still get guns because having dealers alone doing background checks on new purchases has had little effect on criminals ability to get a gun. If everyone is able check to make sure they don't accidentally sell or give a gun to someone on that list or they will get in trouble, it has a chance of enforcement. We the people have to keep an eye out for the violators or it will never work just like now. We may as well do away with gun dealer background checks all together.

The crazy felons still get guns because having dealers alone doing background checks on new purchases has had little effect on criminals ability to get a gun. If everyone is able check to make sure they don't accidentally sell or give a gun to someone on that list or they will get in trouble, it has a chance of enforcement. We the people have to keep an eye out for the violators or it will never work just like now. We may as well do away with gun dealer background checks all together.
You didn't answer his question.

If I'm a felon with a gun I want to sell, why would I care who I sold it too? If my buddy at work wants to buy my gun, why would I want to drag him to a dealer for a background check?
The number of people accidentally selling to prohibited people is miniscule. The issue is people knowingly doing it. And you can't stop that.
As for doing away with dealer background checks, that works for me. It's nothing but a boondoggle and a waste of time.

You wouldn't. Criminals are criminals. But, if you're you, and you sold one of your guns, you might want to make sure you didn't sell it to a criminal by mistake.

You already ahve the option of taking the gun and the buyer to a licensed dealer to do the background check.

That's not too easy and you have to pay a transfer fee.

Yeah... but if you're that worried about it, that's what you do.

yep, especially if that is the loophole we are allegedly trying to close. so are we ready to start creating siuch lists and making them public? I mean, that is what anti gun liberals are really suggesting

Ultimately, they just want to take your guns. I don't care what they say. All of these half-steps are just a stop on the road to confiscation. So, I don't try to spend too much time trying to untangle their convoluted knots.

But, for law abiding citizens who wish (again it's optional) do a background check to make sure the person they are selling to is not on the bad guy list, the same list that dealers check should be available to private owners for a nominal fee.

Yeah... but if you're that worried about it, that's what you do.

So, the proposed legislation in VA would be an improvement over that situation. Again, if you are worried about it. It's not happening this year anyway. All the anti bills were successfully killed in the VA legislature. There are a few pro-gun bills still alive though. The gun show loophole bill was killed by talk of this bill coming up next year.

If I'm a felon with a gun I want to sell, why would I care who I sold it too? If my buddy at work wants to buy my gun, why would I want to drag him to a dealer for a background check?
The number of people accidentally selling to prohibited people is miniscule. The issue is people knowingly doing it. And you can't stop that.
As for doing away with dealer background checks, that works for me. It's nothing but a boondoggle and a waste of time.

The dealer registration for background check & sale is just creating gun owner list that find their way into government's hands when dealers go out of business & such. We need to do away with that crap & allow everyone keep an eye on the criminals. If someone wants to break the law & sell to a criminal, everyone will be watching & listening. They have a much greater chance of getting nailed.

The law specifically prohibits the government from making a list, which explains why no one has access to it.

My guess is that any gun shop you went to right now would be happy to broker a gun sale for you if you are worried about a criminal buying your gun. If the guy you are selling to objects, then you can refuse to sell to him. Maybe the problem here is that you think the only solution is the government instead of actually doing it for yourself.

You wouldn't. Criminals are criminals. But, if you're you, and you sold one of your guns, you might want to make sure you didn't sell it to a criminal by mistake.

I'd be unlikely to encounter any violent criminals. The worst would be some guy with a conviction for insurance fraud or something.
But that isn't really much of a problem in society. Criminals dont meet up with law abiding citizens and buy their guns. They steal them, and resell them to other criminals. This proposal does nothing to stop that and inconveniences honest citizens.

Private sellers always have the option to complete the transaction thru a dealer, if they are so motivated.

Apparently, if the government is not involved, it doesn't count.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back