United Nations to Begin Accepting Applications for Deep-Sea Mining

Doc7505

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2016

Eco-activists hardest hit. And guess which country is a leader in deep-sea mining!
7 Apr 2023 ~~ By Leslie Eastman

While I do cover a great deal of space news for Legal Insurrection, I would also like to note that the deep sea is a vastly under-explored frontier. Given all the pseudoscience published about the “climate crisis,” the importance of understanding our ocean, locating new resources, and determining its complex influence on our climate should be prioritized.
To put this in perspective:
United Nations to Begin Accepting Applications for Deep-Sea Mining
Eco-activists hardest hit. And guess which country is a leader in deep-sea mining!

LI-100-Deep-Sea-Mining.png

Technologies have improved dramatically in recent years, including the ability to direct remote work. Now the United Nations has made a move that may help this process: It is beginning to accept applications for deep-sea mining….because of the demands for metals associated with battery production.
Deep-sea mining would extract cobalt, copper, nickel, and manganese – key battery materials – from potato-sized rocks called “polymetallic nodules” on the ocean’s floor at depths of 4 to 6 km (2.5 to 4 miles). They are abundant in the Clarion-Clipperton Zone (CCZ) between Hawaii and Mexico in the North Pacific Ocean.

However, some in the green energy industry appreciate the need for actual materials to produce their technologies. (Subscribe to read | Financial Times)
However, China is a leader in deep-sea mining exploration and does not appear to be letting up on its quest for marine resources anytime soon. (Deep-sea mining efforts to increase)

Commentary:
My first impression and thoughts are to reject every instance in which an organization formed as an intergovernmental debating and diplomacy society tries to act as if it were an extraterritorial government entity with legislative powers over national citizens.
Unfortunately, those we have elected are allowing the UN to do so.
But I’m assuming this activity is in “international waters” which no country owns. In which case, it makes a certain amount of sense for world governments to come together to at least try to agree on what is and isn’t permitted in them.
A fully libertarian solution would have no “international waters” to begin with, because they are classical “commons.” And the Japanese fishing fleet has exposed that particular version of the tragedy of the commons.
While the Chinese CCP is extending their territorial gains island by island.

I did not know the United Nations controlled mining in international water.

I did not know the United Nations controlled mining in international water.

My first clue was the focus on battery metals ... too funny ... it's phosphorous that would be mined from the ocean bottom, an imperative fertilizer necessary for our modern food production ... all the other materials talked about are pervasive in our culture ... batteries are a very small percentage of the uses of, say, copper ...

Better is dispute the electricity used refining aluminum ...

My first clue was the focus on battery metals ... too funny ... it's phosphorous that would be mined from the ocean bottom, an imperative fertilizer necessary for our modern food production ... all the other materials talked about are pervasive in our culture ... batteries are a very small percentage of the uses of, say, copper ...

Better is dispute the electricity used refining aluminum ...
That is not surprising, making a lot of sense actually. I just didn't know the United Nations was over that kind of thing. Somehow I can't see China bending to the United Nations and the United Nations was not mentioned in the ChinaToday article. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not too trusting of the United Nations and didn't know they regulated activity on the bottom of the sea.

That is not surprising, making a lot of sense actually. I just didn't know the United Nations was over that kind of thing. Somehow I can't see China bending to the United Nations and the United Nations was not mentioned in the ChinaToday article. Maybe it's just me, but I'm not too trusting of the United Nations and didn't know they regulated activity on the bottom of the sea.

The United Nations regulates what the United States tells her to regulate ... even if the regulations don't apply to the United States ... international courts don't have any jurisdiction in the USA ...

The only thing the UN is good at is making reports on trivial things longer than ten Bibles ... that's half the length of The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan ...

The United Nations regulates what the United States tells her to regulate ... even if the regulations don't apply to the United States ... international courts don't have any jurisdiction in the USA ...

The only thing the UN is good at is making reports on trivial things longer than ten Bibles ... that's half the length of The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan ...

Try to keep up.

Forum List

Back