Unions Threaten to Walk Out of AFL-CIO

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
I'm not a big fan of labor unions, especially of their dishonest accounting procedures meant to allow mandatory union dues to go to Democrat politicking. But I had no idea that the unions were about to start a major infighting war.

-------------------
Unions Threaten to Walk Out of AFL-CIO
Abid Aslam, OneWorld US

WASHINGTON, D.C., Jun 16 (OneWorld) - Five of the nation's largest labor unions are forming a breakaway coalition in hopes of reversing the declining membership and political fortunes of the premier U.S. labor federation, the AFL-CIO.

''American workers cannot win a better life unless more workers belong to unions, and unless those unions have the focus, strategy, and resources to unite workers in their industry and raise standards for pay, health care, pensions, and working conditions,'' leaders of the five unions said Wednesday in a joint statement launching their ''Change to Win'' coalition.

Coalition members--representing workers in growing industries including retail, healthcare, hospitality, construction and transportation--timed the launch of their new group to precede the AFL-CIO's annual convention next month in Chicago. There, they hope to persuade the federation to increase budget allocations for organizing drives and to take steps to stop affiliates from poaching each other's members.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/oneworld/20...QM_upis0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3b3JuZGZhBHNlYwM3MjE-

I am a staunch union man that believes in the union 100%. But I am very much disillusioned with them. I belong to a construction union. I haven't worked out of a union in 35 years, but I still pay my dues even after retirement for the privilege of voting. I have worked union and non union members for a lot of years. When our AFL-CIO president endorsed the Democrat party I went bonkers. A lot of us wants our international to pull out of the AFL-CIO also, but they won't.
One Story: Back in 1971 we were making $14.00 an hour. April 1, 1972 was the start of our new contract and we were supposed to get a 50 cent an hour raise. When we came into work that morning, someone had posted on the bulletin board that we were going to take a 50 cent cut in pay instead of getting one. We thought at first that is was an April fools joke, but it wasn't. That was 33 years ago and the scale on the same job today is $13.27 an hour. Our international don't mind taking our money but because we are a right to work state, they won't even discuss assisting the union people with getting a living wage, mainly by getting out of the AFL-CIO. The same work in some of the other states without right to work is $40.00 an hour on your check and about $8.00 in benefits.

Merlin said:
That was 33 years ago and the scale on the same job today is $13.27 an hour. Our international don't mind taking our money but because we are a right to work state, they won't even discuss assisting the union people with getting a living wage, mainly by getting out of the AFL-CIO. The same work in some of the other states without right to work is $40.00 an hour on your check and about $8.00 in benefits.

That's why I think right-to-work laws are so important: they allow labor to be priced by the market, not by union bosses.

This is good news for us scabs! Scabs Unite! We're hungrier, we're leaner, we're like illegal mexicans.

I have a comment to make regarding the AFL-CIO wanting to come into Health Care. I personnaly see this as a way for them to just grab some union dues money from people they dont have the ability to help.

I have worked in Health care for 15 years and have always had a very good living and believe it or not even enjoy an occasional recession. This being said I have to strongly oppose Unions coming into health care.

Health care is not a 9-5 job where you do the same thing over and over again. There are a great deal of variables during the day.

Unions say they will help with our work schedules!! How in the hell are they going to help our work schedules if there is NO ONE TO WORK FOR YOU. There is a major shortage of health care workers in this country so how with a shortage of people to pool from are the unions going to help us. Also the unions require dues for help and insurance. Most hospital based health care employees have pretty darn good insurance as it is, so what would the average employee recieve from joing a union in the health care fields???

A lot of unions have out lived there time. Dont get me wrong there was a time and a place for unions however right now is not the time.

I have a friend who works for GM They had an employee who was stealing radios out of the trucks, he was caught and sent to jail for 2 years the Union came in and said that the company had to give him his job back, aND THEY DID, what kind of crap is that.

What about union workers at GM making in excess of $25.00 an hour base pay for assembly type work. Dont we all think this is a little excessive for non-skilled labor. That my friends is why we are spending over $20,000 for a car that the Koreans can sell for $10,000

Unions have done a lot of good in this country in the past but they are severly harming the ability of the US to compete in a global market...

And if they ever get into the medical field it will be worse than the Government running it..
First thing that comes to mind is "Strike"..imagine a strike that shuts down a hospital.

Mr. P said:
And if they ever get into the medical field it will be worse than the Government running it..
First thing that comes to mind is "Strike"..imagine a strike that shuts down a hospital.
All I can say is EXACTLY!!!!!

The are not the same kinds of business..

Mr. P said:

They do have unions in hospitals, however it is illegal for them to strike much like the police. That is why the police and nurse's unions often have the Blue flu when the time to renegotiate their contracts comes.

gop_jeff said:
That's why I think right-to-work laws are so important: they allow labor to be priced by the market, not by union bosses.
I agree to a point. But the non union pay in the same plant, doing the same job is $20.plus. Union members cross the line to non union side quite often when there is enough work. When there isn't much work, the plant keeps a token amount of union members to fulfill the contract and do maintenance because they are cheaper. I forgot who posted it, but I read the article about the right to work states making more in the long run than the other states. That is the biggest piece of propaganda I've read in a long time.

no1tovote4 said:
They do have unions in hospitals, however it is illegal for them to strike much like the police. That is why the police and nurse's unions often have the Blue flu when the time to renegotiate their contracts comes.
How is it illegal...Police are state Gov. employees, Docs' Nurses are not..
Air Traffic Controlers are Federal ..Reagan delt with that..But Hospitals?

Mr. P said:

The reason Nurses can't strike is because if they all left people would die. That's a little different from police or pilots walking out.

Some hospitals have a nurses union and as far as I've seen they don't do any good since a unions threat is always a walk out and nurses can't do that. Yes they can have a group "flu day", but not in essential areas like CCU, ICU trauma or surgical nurses. Most nurses are in the field because they care about patients and wouldn't want to leave them high and dry.

Mr. P said:

governments all have laws making it illegal for emergency workers to strike...
Hospital workers in emergency care are covered under this along with police,fire etc.... :bye1:

archangel said:
governments all have laws making it illegal for emergency workers to strike...
Hospital workers in emergency care are covered under this along with police,fire etc.... :bye1:
Sure..but that only covers emergency..what about the rest?

Trigg said:
The reason Nurses can't strike is because if they all left people would die. That's a little different from police or pilots walking out.

Some hospitals have a nurses union and as far as I've seen they don't do any good since a unions threat is always a walk out and nurses can't do that. Yes they can have a group "flu day", but not in essential areas like CCU, ICU trauma or surgical nurses. Most nurses are in the field because they care about patients and wouldn't want to leave them high and dry.
I know that Trigg..But I'll bet everyone knows the Unions don't give a chit. So that means anyone in these fields will simply be paying dues for nothing really..cuz they take their job/responsibility seriously..in MOST cases it's not about money.

Ps..The Air Traffic Control stike was not about Pilots..It was Air traffic Controlers..And BTW it was the best thing that happened to the system...they needed to be fired.

Forum List

Back