Unfit to lead

I already suggested this.......somewhere...yesterday......some piker told me I was greedy!!

hehhehe

yup, universal healthcare........it makes so much sense.

ok, now, are you going to charge the people currently paying for it again to use it?
and if you are going to charge them again for it, and the current level is barely enough to cover just seniors and the disabled, how will it be able to pay for the services of all these new people?

What do you mean 'charge them again'?
they are already paying for it through payroll deductions, currently its for them to benefit when they retire or become disabled

And?

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Because Medicare funds rely on employee payroll taxes to pay for recipient services, the ratio of those employed to those drawing on Medicare benefits is crucial to maintaining future solvency. Currently, there are 3.7 workers for every person receiving Medicare benefits. HI Fund trustees calculate that there will be 2.4 workers for every retiree in 2030 and only 2 workers per retiree in 2075; each individual employee will be responsible for a far greater share in supporting each recipient.
[/FONT]

Online NewsHour: The Medicare System | Financing | PBS

a bit beyond midway down the page

here is what I posted yesterday:

You are aware that Medicare is paid for by the subsequent generations behind/younger than the people that receive it don't you? Or not? Because your children and grandchildren and great grandchildren ARE already paying for your Medicare. That's how it works, if you didn't know already, which it seems you didn't based on your above statement. So the subsequent generations want to pay for you and have a program where they pay for themselves......they want to buy in on the system with a public option. How can you argue with that?

Additionally, what if I don't want to enrich the private sector but instead wish to pool my money with other citizens and put it into the government program? Why can't I have that choice? I'm already supporting the Medicare pool, why can't we have a program for "underage" people????

http://www.usmessageboard.com/healt...care/85537-the-ugly-truth-of-obamacare-2.html

here is what I posted yesterday:

You are aware that Medicare is paid for by the subsequent generations behind/younger than the people that receive it don't you? Or not? Because your children and grandchildren and great grandchildren ARE already paying for your Medicare. That's how it works, if you didn't know already, which it seems you didn't based on your above statement. So the subsequent generations want to pay for you and have a program where they pay for themselves......they want to buy in on the system with a public option. How can you argue with that?

Additionally, what if I don't want to enrich the private sector but instead wish to pool my money with other citizens and put it into the government program? Why can't I have that choice? I'm already supporting the Medicare pool, why can't we have a program for "underage" people????

http://www.usmessageboard.com/healt...care/85537-the-ugly-truth-of-obamacare-2.html
because you could never contribute enough(unless you pay the same thing you would pay to a private insurer in the first place) to keep it sustained
and thats only if the government could actually do it for what they do
since a large amount of the opperative costs of medicare are passed off onto the private co insurance
and by that i mean the overhead

What overhead? Medicare has no overhead, the providers have overhead. The VA has overhead because they are a totally closed government system.

What overhead? Medicare has no overhead, the providers have overhead. The VA has overhead because they are a totally closed government system.
the people that decide what is and what isnt covered are generally working for some private co-insurer

ok.

166 million people pay for medicare through payroll taxes.

The portion of payroll tax specifically for medicare (part A) is only 1.45% (on total earnings), each from employees and employers (total 2.90%).

Part A operated a net decrease in assets of $4.7 billion, taking in $230.8 billion, while expenditures were $235.6 billion ($321.3 billion in assets at the end of 2008).

Now part B actually shows an increase in assets; it's funded at 75% through government funding, and the remainder is paid through premiums set at $96.40 per month, with higher premium through surcharges for those in high income brackets (above $85,000 for individuals, $170,000 for joint filers). In 2008, its revenue = $250 billion, its expenditures = $232.6 billion for a net increase in assets of 17.4 billion. (net assets at end of 2008 60.3 billion)

Doubling the percentage of payroll taxes for Medicare would only be 2.9% of total earnings (let's just make it for employees; I'm saving the economy too ya know).

That would increase Medicare revenue by $115.4 billion per year, taking it out of the red and giving it a total income of $346.2 billion, with a net increase in assets of $105.9 billion (total $427.2 billion).

ok have to hit submit, cuz my computer's freezing and if I lose this post my head will explode.

the people that decide what is and what isnt covered are generally working for some private co-insurer

What?
maybe i didnt word it right
but the private companies doing the medicare suplimental coverage are usually the ones that say what is and isnt covered

ok have to hit submit, cuz my computer's freezing and if I lose this post my head will explode.

lol3.gif

What?
but the private companies doing the medicare suplimental coverage are usually the ones that say what is and isnt covered

That has nothing to do with overhead. Overhead is the cost of doing business, like salaries, insurance, heat, electricity, phones, a building, equipment.........yada yada.....

In government this is called "Administrative costs" because the government is not concerned with making a profit, they tax. The VA has the full boat, Medicare has paperwork and employees.

Private insurers don't dictate to Medicare what it can cover, they either cover the co-pay or they don't.

That has nothing to do with overhead. Overhead is the cost of doing business, like salaries, insurance, heat, electricity, phones, a building, equipment.........yada yada.....

In government this is called "Administrative costs" because the government is not concerned with making a profit, they tax. The VA has the full boat, Medicare has paperwork and employees.

Private insurers don't dictate to Medicare what it can cover, they either cover the co-pay or they don't.
i admit i might have worded it wrong
yes, medicare says what it does and doesnt cover
in a database that the private insurers have access to
the medical people will contact the co-insurer first

that way, they not only get what medicare covers, but also what the co-insurance covers
its part of the costs that are covered by the private sector

Last edited:
Mad Math Skillz, The Sequel

Ok.

Let's toss those 45 million souls onto medicare just for shits and giggles.

According to the premium link, 5% of people pay into the higher surcharge premiums for part B. Income-related premiums range from $134.90 to $308.30. So let's split the difference. $221.60.

So 2,250,000 will pay $5,983,200,000 into part B. The remaining 42,750,000 will dump an additional $49,453,200,000, for a total of $55,436,400,000.

Now my head hurts. I hope you're satisfied.

Last edited:

i admit i might have worded it wrong
yes, medicare says what it does and doesnt cover
in a database that the private insurers have access to
the medical people will contact the co-insurer first

that way, they not only get what medicare covers, but also what the co-insurance covers
its part of the costs that are covered by the private sector

I'd rather the medical people did medical things and swiped the card and didn't get people on the phone or the computer and waste time. I'd also rather not have two sets of paperwork and envelopes and stamps........and on and on and on. Put a Medicare rep in each hospital.

Ok.

According to the premium link, 5% of people pay into the higher surcharge premiums for part B. Income-related premiums range from $134.90 to $308.30. So let's split the difference. $221.60.

So 2,250,000 will pay $498,600,000 into part B. The remaining 42,750,000 will dump an additional $4,121,100,000, for a total of $4,619,700,000.

That was Mahvelous........now do the figures for the whole gaggle of us, all 300 or so million.........heheheheh

Ok.

So 2,250,000 will pay $498,600,000 into part B. The remaining 42,750,000 will dump an additional $4,121,100,000, for a total of $4,619,700,000.

nope
because you have nearly 4 people paying to cover ONE on medicare, you would need to more than quadruple the medicare payroll deduction
(if my math is anywhere near correct, if not its likely WAY more than it would be less)

You might be surprised just how precarious the precipice is we're teetering on.

Not really. You survived (and I use the term lightly considering the state he left the country in) Bush for 8 years. You'll survive Obama for 8...probably be better off than when he started....

Say aaaaahh grump... you wanna bet the little community organizer never sees another term? I think a pretty safe bet is he WON'T...

3823455842_ef00f23cb6_o.jpg

Forum List

Back