Unfit to lead

and, why would you pay $308 a month for medicare if you could get private insurance for less

$221.

And you're not going to find private insurance with the coverage, deductibles and copays that medicare offers for less than that. I was just online earlier checking for coverage for my daughter, and it was higher priced.
try Cinergy Health - Your Life - Your Health - Your Plan

i hope i spelled that right

You did. But it doesn't matter:

We apologize for the inconvenience; however, we are not presently accepting new members for the Cinergy Health Preferred Plans.

$221.

And you're not going to find private insurance with the coverage, deductibles and copays that medicare offers for less than that. I was just online earlier checking for coverage for my daughter, and it was higher priced.
try Cinergy Health - Your Life - Your Health - Your Plan

i hope i spelled that right

You did. But it doesn't matter:

We apologize for the inconvenience; however, we are not presently accepting new members for the Cinergy Health Preferred Plans.
well, i MUST have if the link worked

* National health spending is expected to reach $2.5 trillion in 2009, accounting for 17.6 percent of the gross domestic product (GDP). By 2018, national health care expenditures are expected to reach $4.4 trillion—more than double 2007 spending.1
* National health expenditures are expected to increase faster than the growth in GDP: between 2008 and 2018, the average increase in national health expenditures is expected to be 6.2 percent per year, while the GDP is expected to increase only 4.1 percent per year. 1
* In just three years, the Medicare and Medicaid programs will account for 50 percent of all national health spending. 1
* Medicare's Hospital Insurance (HI) Trust Fund is expected to pay out more in hospital benefits and other expenditures this year than it receives in taxes and other dedicated revenues. In addition, the Medicare Supplementary Medical Insurance (SMI) Trust Fund that pays for physician services and the prescription drug benefit will continue to require general revenue financing and charges on beneficiaries that will grow substantially faster than the economy and beneficiary incomes over time. 2
* According to one study, of the $2.1 trillion the U.S. spent on health care in 2006, nearly $650 billion was above what we would expect to spend based on the level of U.S. wealth versus other nations. These additional costs are attributable to $436 billion outpatient care and another $186 billion of spending related to high administrative costs. 3

NCHC | Facts About Healthcare - Health Insurance Costs

That's 2.5 trillion for all healthcare, public and private!!!

Why do we even have private insurance????

* National health spending is expected to reach $2.5 trillion in 2009, accounting for 17.6 percent of the gross domestic product (GDP). By 2018, national health care expenditures are expected to reach $4.4 trillion—more than double 2007 spending.1
* National health expenditures are expected to increase faster than the growth in GDP: between 2008 and 2018, the average increase in national health expenditures is expected to be 6.2 percent per year, while the GDP is expected to increase only 4.1 percent per year. 1
* In just three years, the Medicare and Medicaid programs will account for 50 percent of all national health spending. 1
* Medicare's Hospital Insurance (HI) Trust Fund is expected to pay out more in hospital benefits and other expenditures this year than it receives in taxes and other dedicated revenues. In addition, the Medicare Supplementary Medical Insurance (SMI) Trust Fund that pays for physician services and the prescription drug benefit will continue to require general revenue financing and charges on beneficiaries that will grow substantially faster than the economy and beneficiary incomes over time. 2
* According to one study, of the $2.1 trillion the U.S. spent on health care in 2006, nearly $650 billion was above what we would expect to spend based on the level of U.S. wealth versus other nations. These additional costs are attributable to $436 billion outpatient care and another $186 billion of spending related to high administrative costs. 3

think Emma's numbers are WAY WAY off

I think this is where Obama has failed to communicate the problem. the present "system" that includes both private and public health care, the whole thing........is wayyyyyyy too much of our GDP.

I think most people think it's the public insurance that is costing us too much, but it's all of it and we need to get the percentage down.......like in half.

Plan B premium income totals 55.2 billion. So total premiums currently paid into both equals $58.1 billion. I'm adding nearly 3 1/2 times that to the total income through just premiums.

Now double the employee contribution to the medicare portion of the payroll tax from 1.45% to 2.9% and you've added another $115 billion to the pot to equal $313 billion in additional revenue through payroll and premiums.

Current income from both sources is $256.8 billion for plan A and B.

I think this is where Obama has failed to communicate the problem. the present "system" that includes both private and public health care, the whole thing........is wayyyyyyy too much of our GDP.

I think most people think it's the public insurance that is costing us too much, but it's all of it and we need to get the percentage down.......like in half.

Over 17 % GDP? That is freakin' insane.

Will you explain how? You keep saying that but you're not telling me where or why they're off lol.

I'm getting these numbers from the trustee's report.

Yes it is. And you don't hear the Republicans talking about it either. It's always nothing, nada, no public option, no universal healthcare, nothing, tort reform, fart, death panels, higher taxes, nothing. Pretty soon the whole deal will collapse and it WILL be nothing.

The situation is comparable to a full out world war, we should go universal and make it our mission to get costs down any way we can. Start a health corps or something, like yesterday........:eek:

Will you explain how? You keep saying that but you're not telling me where or why they're off lol.

You accounted for $315B, that's roughly 12% of total healthcare costs for 2009. I don't know what percentage of the population that covers. But we're in big freaking trouble.

Yes it is. And you don't hear the Republicans talking about it either. It's always nothing, nada, no public option, no universal healthcare, nothing, tort reform, fart, death panels, higher taxes, nothing. Pretty soon the whole deal will collapse and it WILL be nothing.

The situation is comparable to a full out world war, we should go universal and make it our mission to get costs down any way we can. Start a health corps or something, like yesterday........:eek:
That's completely unsustainable. And it's only going to rise.

Oh. Something I forgot to fix was the cost of medications. I'm going to search for that link I posted a while back...

because you are assuming that the costs of adding those people to it will be less than it currently is
and remember, 4 people are paying to cover ONE person now
if you put those 4 people on it also you will need to jump the payroll deduction by a factor of at least 5
now you are talking about taking 15% for the medicare deduction alone
sorry, but that will float like a lead balloon(and not the one the mythbusters team did)

thats pattenly FALSE
the GOP has a plan
there is even a thread on it but you guys go in and deflect

Forum List

Back