Unemployment rate to 8.8%

We can banter all day long on this....the only thing I can see that's changed in the last 3 months was that Congress was taken over by the republicans. Perception on the direction of the economy may have changed in the last election. Just sayin....

Well the private sector has been creating jobs for over a year now.

Just sayin...

And the civilian labor force has shrunk by 489K while the Civilian Population has increased by over 1.8M. A year ago, the labor force participation rate was 64.9%; now it is 64.2%.

If we had the same participation rate as a year ago, unemployment would be:

Civilian Population: 239.0M

Labor Force 155.1M @ 64.9% participation rate
Labor Force 153.4M @ actual participation rate
Net increase 1.7M
Official Unempl. 13.5M
Adj. Unempl. 15.2M

Adjusted U3 Unemployment rate = 9.8%

THE ONLY REASON WHY UNEMPLOYMENT HAS FALLEN IS BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE NO LONGER BEING COUNTED AS UNEMPLOYED BECAUSE THEY HAVE GIVEN UP LOOKING FOR WORK.

Employment Situation Summary Table A. Household data, seasonally adjusted

Total Employed 139.9M

Sounds about right. In spite of all the 'good news' stories, and those where the 'unexpected' bad news cannot be ignored stories, the consumer confidence numbers indicate that the people are getting it. They are not quite ready to lay the blame on Obama, but then again it's not election time. Considering his oil speech, he may be in for much more trouble than any of us can imagine:

Stephen Hayward: The Secret to Brazil's Energy Success - WSJ.com

He's just not serious.

THE ONLY REASON WHY UNEMPLOYMENT HAS FALLEN IS BECAUSE PEOPLE ARE NO LONGER BEING COUNTED AS UNEMPLOYED BECAUSE THEY HAVE GIVEN UP LOOKING FOR WORK.

I'm not sure if you're intentionally lying or your simply wrong. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you simply don't know any better.

I'm not sure if you're intentionally lying or your simply wrong. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you simply don't know any better.

I read the unemployment reports, you sad moron.

The entire story is in the labor force participation rate. The Government has quit counting 1.7M in the labor force in the past year.

That is why unemployment has dropped.

So, in six months when another 2, 3 million drop off unemployment or quit looking, the labor dept is going to laud this as economic recovery?! I mean....really? I guess this admin can spin and fool some people but it cant spin forever.

Unemployment, that is...

216,000 jobs added

The is very good news.

March nonfarm payrolls up 216,000, rate at 8.8% - MarketWatch

The reason unemployment percentage is going down is because those people have run out of benifits. It doesn't mean jobs were created to employ the unemployed. But the left was going into a panic when the unemployment numbers went from 4.5 4.6

The number of unemployed persons (13.5 million) and the unemployment rate
(8.8 percent) changed little in March. The labor force also was little changed over
the month. Since November 2010, the jobless rate has declined by 1.0 percentage
point. (See table A-1.)

So, in six months when another 2, 3 million drop off unemployment or quit looking, the labor dept is going to laud this as economic recovery?! I mean....really? I guess this admin can spin and fool some people but it cant spin forever.
When people report they are no longer looking for work they get the boot from the laborforce. UE is utter BS. Changes in laborforce participation plus U6 is the only dependable rule of thumb and it has its problems. Female workers with pre-school children are part of the laborforce and counting involuntary reduced nurture as economic good news is a huge stretch. That this custom only goes back to LBJ's inflationary "guns and butter" is a real clue to how bogus the laborforce participation rate is but it is lightyears better than U3 or even U6.

Well, she's right, but inaccurate. It IS true that people not looking for work are not counted as unemployed. She's wrong that that's the ONLY reason it's gone down. The Labor Force has gone up the last 2 months, so people are not dropping out of the labor force.

The reason unemployment percentage is going down is because those people have run out of benifits.
Benefits has never had anything to do with the unemployment rate. It's not even asked.

When people report they are no longer looking for work they get the boot from the laborforce.
Well, yeah. Duh. Why should people not participating in the labor market be considered part of the labor market? What exactly do we learn about the labor market from people not participating in it?

Well, she's right, but inaccurate. It IS true that people not looking for work are not counted as unemployed. She's wrong that that's the ONLY reason it's gone down. The Labor Force has gone up the last 2 months, so people are not dropping out of the labor force.

The reason unemployment percentage is going down is because those people have run out of benifits.
Benefits has never had anything to do with the unemployment rate. It's not even asked.

gone up?:eusa_eh:labor force as in participation or ? what do you mean exactly, because its still stuck at a 25 year low, 64.2%.

They simply don't want people employed. And if they are unemployed..they don't want them to get unemployment checks.

After you are born..and if you are not one of the Bushes, Koches, Thanes, or any number of billion dollar babies..they want you to die..and die quickly.

And miserable.

I thought I had seen a report that Rdean had died stuck to a chair.....:eusa_eh:that was a fast rebirth.

Eh?

Three words.

Governor Jan Brewer. 2 notches on that belt and counting.

Nuff said.:clap2:

you know you are becoming the master of hyperbole and mis-characterization and conflation, really.

Benefits has never had anything to do with the unemployment rate. It's not even asked

What do you mean it has never been asked They get the unemployment percentage numbers from the number of people on unemployment.

gone up?:eusa_eh:labor force as in participation or ? what do you mean exactly, because its still stuck at a 25 year low, 64.2%.

The Labor Force level has gone up. Jan it was 153,186,000, and March was 153,406,000, and increase of 220,000. And all of that is an increase in Employment (Unemployment level has gone down). Which means people are not dropping out. That the rate is staying the same just means it's not outpacing population growth (which was 296,000). Fine, it doesn't need to. The last time the LF participation rate was 64.2, that was a 35 year high. The LF participation rate is not a direct measure of the labor market.

The whole "if the LF participation rate was the same as year X"...is horsecrap. It's assuming the entire amount of the difference is people who would be unemployed. But if we go the opposite direction and use the LF participation rate of the 50's or 60's, and use the same math, that would mean the UE rate would be about 2%.

I read the unemployment reports, .

Then you are simply wrong and misinformed. I can't be held accountable for your ignorance.

What do you mean it has never been asked They get the unemployment percentage numbers from the number of people on unemployment.

I can't even begin to fathom the ignorance involved in believing what you just said. The unemployment rate has nothing to do with the number of people claiming unemployment.

At least we are losing jobs, aka Bush's last year in office.

Dagnammit! Another lib hoping for the downfall of the American economy!

Or did you really mean... "At least we are NOT losing jobs"?

For the record, I am more than ready for the economy to turn upwards... I'm still waiting.

Immie

The Labor Force level has gone up. Jan it was 153,186,000, and March was 153,406,000, and increase of 220,000. And all of that is an increase in Employment (Unemployment level has gone down). Which means people are not dropping out. That the rate is staying the same just means it's not outpacing population growth (which was 296,000). Fine, it doesn't need to. The last time the LF participation rate was 64.2, that was a 35 year high. The LF participation rate is not a direct measure of the labor market.

The whole "if the LF participation rate was the same as year X"...is horsecrap. It's assuming the entire amount of the difference is people who would be unemployed. But if we go the opposite direction and use the LF participation rate of the 50's or 60's, and use the same math, that would mean the UE rate would be about 2%.

argue with them...*shrugs*

Labor Force Participation Rate Remains At 25 Year Low 64.2%, Birth/Death Adjustment: +112,000
Tyler Durden's picture
Submitted by Tyler Durden on 03/04/2011 09:41 -0400

* Unemployment

Wonder why the unemployment rate is at an artificially low 8.9%? Three simple words: Labor Force Participation. At 64.2%, it was unchanged from last month, and continues to be at a 25 year low. Should the LFP return to its 25 trendline average of 66.1%, the unemployment rate would be 11.6%. And indicatively, the Birth/Death adjustment was +112,000.

Labor Force Participation Rate Remains At 25 Year Low 64.2%, Birth/Death Adjustment: +112,000 | zero hedge

here -

Hiring Picks Up In March, But Participation Stays Low

By SCOTT STODDARD, INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY Posted 07:18 PM ET
Featured Stocks

Hiring rose more than expected last month and the jobless rate unexpectedly dipped to a two-year low, the Labor Department said Friday, bolstering expectations that the economy can keep growing without another round of Federal Reserve stimulus.

Employers added 216,000 jobs in March, topping views for 185,000. The unemployment rate fell 0.1 point to 8.8%, down from 9.8% in November, according to a separate survey of households.

Faster hiring could fuel consumer spending and provide a floor for still-slumping home sales and prices. U.S. auto sales rose to a 13.1 million annual rate last month, led by double-digit gains at Ford (F) and Chrysler.

Still, payrolls remain 7.25 million jobs below where they were before the recession. The average unemployment duration rose to a fresh record of 39 months.

Also, the labor force participation rate held at a 27-year low of 64.2% even though the work force expanded for the second straight month, suggesting that hiring is just strong enough to absorb new entrants.

http://www.investors.com/NewsAndAna...ng-Up-But-Still-725-Mil-Jobs-Off-Old-Peak.htm

Last edited:
are those "burger flipping" jobs?

Factories added 17,000 jobs in March, marking the fifth straight month of gains. Retailers added nearly 18,000 jobs, after cutting them in February. Financial services expanded payrolls by 6,000, following two straight months of cutbacks. Education and health services expanded employment by 45,000, leisure and hospitality added 37,000 jobs.

You want fries with that?

Wages flat and CEO pay up 28%. good times.

Forum List

Back