Undocumented Teens Outsmarted MIT—and Still Cant Get Real Jobs in America

R

rdean

‘Underwater Dreams’ tells the uplifting story of how undocumented Mexican teen engineers took on MIT in a competition and won—and the sad story of what happened after.
The subtext of the tough talk about the tens of thousands of child refugees flowing up from Central America is that like Mexicans they will be a drag on the American economy—wards of the state who suck taxpayers dry.

Valid point, but it ignores the fact that poor, undocumented Hispanics—the ones most denigrated by Tea Party know-nothings—have much to offer, too, just as penniless immigrants (i.e. your ancestors) always have.

After Carl Hayden does the impossible and beats MIT for first place, the film takes a disturbing turn that left me and the rest of the preview audience in tears.

A decade after the competition, MIT professors invited the winners to Cambridge, Massachusetts for a reunion with the MIT team they beat. Not surprisingly, the losers were now winning engineers; one of the MIT graduates had gone on to invent ear buds for Apple.

The undocumented winners haven’t done so well.

Underwater Dreams will be screened soon in the White House. It should also be seen in every high school in the country, where it will inspire thousands of kids, and in Congress, where it might just jolt a few politicians out of their stupor and help them see young people for who they are, and who they can be.

These Undocumented Teens Outsmarted MIT, and Still Cant Get Real Jobs in America

-----------------------------------------------------------

It's these kinds of kids that terrify Republicans. These kids want to learn and they have the talent. Republicans feel education makes you liberal and even suggesting that with education, you have a better chance of getting a job is a terrible insult. All you need is hard work. Not that liberal education that doesn't mean anything and only turns you into a "communist". Deep down, they know they simply don't have what it takes.

Think about how much better their countries will be when they go back!

Plenty of people come here, get an education and go back home. Some even end up in high ranking Gov't Positions.

Meanwhile my two brother in laws can not get in the Country while illegals pour across the border daily.

I didn't realize your two brother-in-laws were children fleeing a dangerous country. Sorry to hear that. Hope they're OK.

Think about how much better their countries will be when they go back!

Plenty of people come here, get an education and go back home. Some even end up in high ranking Gov't Positions.

And worse off ours will be. Course, that's the GOP plan. Destroy this country. Even Republicans won't want to live here.

Our teens in the country can't find summer jobs because of all the illegals taking fast food, lawn care, etc

but hey, don't worry over them

A co-worker was talking about how great Illegal Aliens are and how they'll accept low pay and work hard. He said Americans are "fat, lazy and dumb".

It could have been easy for me to ask him: "Does the Dumb apply to you too?" but I didn't.

Instead I asked him: "Would you be ok with Illegals doing OUR jobs and forcing wages down?" (We make pretty good money).

No response.

Last edited:
‘Underwater Dreams’ tells the uplifting story of how undocumented Mexican teen engineers took on MIT in a competition and won—and the sad story of what happened after.
The subtext of the tough talk about the tens of thousands of child refugees flowing up from Central America is that like Mexicans they will be a drag on the American economy—wards of the state who suck taxpayers dry.

Valid point, but it ignores the fact that poor, undocumented Hispanics—the ones most denigrated by Tea Party know-nothings—have much to offer, too, just as penniless immigrants (i.e. your ancestors) always have.

After Carl Hayden does the impossible and beats MIT for first place, the film takes a disturbing turn that left me and the rest of the preview audience in tears.

A decade after the competition, MIT professors invited the winners to Cambridge, Massachusetts for a reunion with the MIT team they beat. Not surprisingly, the losers were now winning engineers; one of the MIT graduates had gone on to invent ear buds for Apple.

Underwater Dreams will be screened soon in the White House. It should also be seen in every high school in the country, where it will inspire thousands of kids, and in Congress, where it might just jolt a few politicians out of their stupor and help them see young people for who they are, and who they can be.

These Undocumented Teens Outsmarted MIT, and Still Cant Get Real Jobs in America

It's these kinds of kids that terrify Republicans. These kids want to learn and they have the talent. Republicans feel education makes you liberal and even suggesting that with education, you have a better chance of getting a job is a terrible insult. All you need is hard work. Not that liberal education that doesn't mean anything and only turns you into a "communist". Deep down, they know they simply don't have what it takes.

Don't you people want businesses that hire ILLEGAL (not undocumented) aliens to be punished?

I find it odd that you criticize businesses for obeying the law.

Enter the country legally and they could get any job they were hired to.

It's called following the law. I know laws don't matter much to you rdean, but the rule of law is something our society is built upon. Without obedience to the law we have anarchy and violence.

Don't you people want businesses that hire ILLEGAL (not undocumented) aliens to be punished?

I find it odd that you criticize businesses for obeying the law.

That's what he does.

Our teens in the country can't find summer jobs because of all the illegals taking fast food, lawn care, etc

but hey, don't worry over them

All you did was move to a different corner. One with more traffic.

Meanwhile my two brother in laws can not get in the Country while illegals pour across the border daily.

I didn't realize your two brother-in-laws were children fleeing a dangerous country. Sorry to hear that. Hope they're OK.

There is no war in Central America. Go peddle your stupidity to someone dumb enough to believe it.

When gangs fight, they call it a "gang war". Do keep up.

The horrors driving thousands of Central American kids to take the dangerous journey to the U.S.

Forum List

Back