Under Islamic law gay man given 100 lashes with sharp metal wires in Ghana

"Under Islamic law gay man given 100 lashes with sharp metal wires in Ghana"

Cite the source of this 'Islamic law,' does this represent the consensus of Islamic scholars.

Or is this the consequence of culture, where Islam has been misappropriated and misrepresented.

The culture there and Islam is intermeshed, regardless of your apologist attempt to separate them.
As quoted above:

Further, Geller's own link source here says the act was committed by a vigilante group called "Safety Empire". A vigilante group by definition has nothing to do with "law". The fact is Ghana runs as a parliamentary representative democracy -- it has no "sharia law". And the majority religion is Christian.

Islamic law doesn't have to be the law of the land to get the blame for the acts of these idiots. These morons think it is the law, they use Islam as the excuse, regardless of what cultural backing it originally came from.

Agreed. Understanding that "these idiots" refers to the OP and Pamela Geller, that's a solid assessment.

Not agreed. I am talking about the Vigilantes in question.

Fair point, include them too. It applies to all three entities.

pogo dear----my grasp of islam in sub-Saharan Africa comes from
subsaharans------islam if kinda a "FACTIONAL" thing in places like
Nigeria and Kenya etc-------pious muslims like to IMPOSE it here and
there-------it IS islam that they impose. Subsaharans who have been
my informants include Christians and hindus and-----south east Asian
muslims who also ended up there.......generally

Cite the source of this 'Islamic law,' does this represent the consensus of Islamic scholars.

Or is this the consequence of culture, where Islam has been misappropriated and misrepresented.

The culture there and Islam is intermeshed, regardless of your apologist attempt to separate them.
As quoted above:

Further, Geller's own link source here says the act was committed by a vigilante group called "Safety Empire". A vigilante group by definition has nothing to do with "law". The fact is Ghana runs as a parliamentary representative democracy -- it has no "sharia law". And the majority religion is Christian.

Islamic law doesn't have to be the law of the land to get the blame for the acts of these idiots. These morons think it is the law, they use Islam as the excuse, regardless of what cultural backing it originally came from.

Agreed. Understanding that "these idiots" refers to the OP and Pamela Geller, that's a solid assessment.

Pamela Geller is TOO AGENDAED to be a source----but she is no more an idiot than 80% of the people who post here who are also agendaed------SUCH AS YOU

As quoted above:

I don't lump together people spouting opinions, and people who whip other people with metal wire.

pogo dear----my grasp of islam in sub-Saharan Africa comes from
subsaharans------islam if kinda a "FACTIONAL" thing in places like
Nigeria and Kenya etc-------pious muslims like to IMPOSE it here and
there-------it IS islam that they impose. Subsaharans who have been
my informants include Christians and hindus and-----south east Asian
muslims who also ended up there.......generally

Well then you lose the point because "Islam" takes no position on homosexuality, ergo it's not "Islam" they're imposing; it's their own thing. Just as if the Klan did this they could claim all day and three nights that they did it for "Christianity" but you wouldn't see Pam Geller touching it.

As quoted above:

Pamela Geller is TOO AGENDAED to be a source----but she is no more an idiot than 80% of the people who post here who are also agendaed------SUCH AS YOU

The difference between Pam Geller and me is that --- I didn't post a link that disproves my own point.

As quoted above:

I don't lump together people spouting opinions, and people who whip other people with metal wire.

I don't either. But people stirring up the shit with ignorance, hey I'm happy to help lumping them in too. The only difference is Pam Geller and the OP aren't using wire.

As quoted above:

The difference between Pam Geller and me is that --- I didn't post a link that disproves my own point.

Well lets see what was said:

1st line of the article:

It is terrifying for gay people to live in a country that is under the sharia or even respectful of sharia law. - See more at:

A predominant Muslim community in Ghana’s capital, Accra – has flogged a man suspected to be gay.

The suspect received about 100 lashes from the vigilante group popularly known as Safety Empire. According to the group, its aim is to wage a crusade against homosexuality.

The man was whipped mercilessly when he allegedly tried to lure another resident into the controversial act.

He was found guilty based on Sharia laws, the group said in a Facebook post.

She does explain that it was a group in the community that did it, not the government. The group did reference Sharia law as their basis for said whipping.

As quoted above:

inconsequential difference. I am neither you nor pam.
IMO shariah stinks. In my experience with many many score
"highly educated muslims from muslim lands" ----well they were literate----mostly medical school graduates------ISLAM IS ISLAM----and muslims IN GENERAL----may not, themselves, adhere to shariah law------(especially that no beer and pray dozens of times per day)
consider that vile and disgusting legal code some kind of GLORIOUS IDEAL. It is no surprise to me that children born to educated muslim
parents in the USA -----GRAVITATE TO ISIS to recover the GLORY OF ISLAM (btw----everyone in a caliphate is delirious with joy----including Christians, jews and hindus who are just delighted to live
under Islamic oppression-------Islamic oppression is better than no islam at all)

I don't either. But people stirring up the shit with ignorance, hey I'm happy to help lumping them in too. The only difference is Pam Geller and the OP aren't using wire.

The guy was whipped, Islam was the reason given by the very people doing the whipping.

and your last statement is just stupid.

As quoted above:

1st line of the article:

It is terrifying for gay people to live in a country that is under the sharia or even respectful of sharia law. - See more at:

A predominant Muslim community in Ghana’s capital, Accra – has flogged a man suspected to be gay.

The suspect received about 100 lashes from the vigilante group popularly known as Safety Empire. According to the group, its aim is to wage a crusade against homosexuality.

The man was whipped mercilessly when he allegedly tried to lure another resident into the controversial act.

She does explain that it was a group in the community that did it, not the government. The group did reference Sharia law as their basis for said whipping.

thanks ---very consistent with that which islam is in sub-Saharan africa

The guy was whipped, Islam was the reason given by the very people doing the whipping.

You can claim any reason you want for doing something, ESPECIALLY with religion. That's nothing new. It's been used to justify homocide, wars, slavery, burning people at the stake and other tortures, all sorts of conquest. That's always the danger of Big Religion. But when you look inside the religion, their base of justification does not exist. Therefore it's dishonest to claim that it does. Hope that makes it clearer.

Is Pam Geller using wire then? Is the OP? Doesn't show up on my screen.
Your statement that "these morons think it is the law, they use Islam as the excuse, regardless of what cultural backing it originally came from" is perfectly valid. It applies to the vigilante group; it applies to Pam Geller; and it applies to the OP. It works all three ways.

You can claim any reason you want for doing something, ESPECIALLY with religion. That's nothing new. It's been used to justify homocide, wars, slavery, burning people at the stake and other tortures, all sorts of conquest. That's always the danger of Big Religion. But when you look inside the religion, their base of justification does not exist. Therefore it's dishonest to claim that it does. Hope that makes it clearer.

Your statement that "these morons think it is the law, they use Islam as the excuse, regardless of what cultural backing it originally came from" is perfectly valid. It applies to the vigilante group; it applies to Pam Geller; and it applies to the OP. It works all three ways.

A lot of semantics just to get your Gellar Hate on.

These guys whipped a gay man, they used islam as a reason, others are doing similar things in other countries often with government approval , yet you apologists bend over backwards to give Islam a pass.

Are you really that afraid of them?

As quoted above:

1st line of the article:

Well then let's look at the headline -- the title, where everything starts:

Well --- no. Ghana doesn't even have "Islamic law".

But let's not stop there, let's see the very first line:

"It is terrifying for gay people to live in a country that is under the sharia or even respectful of sharia law"
It might be. But what's that have to do with Ghana?
Weasel words. Geller can't write without them.

These guys whipped a gay man, they used islam as a reason, others are doing similar things in other countries often with government approval , yet you apologists bend over backwards to give Islam a pass.

Once again -- where do you see "government approval"?

Where?

"Give Islam a pass"???
rofl.gif

The only thing being given a "pass" here is the ignorant fallacies of the OP and his article.
Why exactly are you doing that?

1st line of the article:

"It is terrifying for gay people to live in a country that is under the sharia or even respectful of sharia law"

The group based it's actions on Sharia, which is Islamic Law. She didn't say Ghana's law, did she?

Once again -- where do you see "government approval"?

Where?

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/iran-executes-two-for-perversion/

1st line of the article:

The group based it's actions on Sharia, which is Islamic Law. She didn't say Ghana's law, did she?

A vigilante group doesn't get to dictate what the country's laws are. Ghana Does. Not. Have. Sharia. Law.
You could look it up.

In exactly the same way, the torture/death of Matthew Shepard didn't mean that "Christianism" made them do it, nor does it mean the US operates under "Inquisition Law", nor does it mean the killing had "government approval". Even if the killers go on that unimpeachable source, Facebook, and claim so.

To cherrypick such exceptions means trying to have your logic both ways. You can't do that.

Last edited:

1st line of the article:

A vigilante group doesn't get to dictate what the country's laws are. Ghana Does. Not. Have. Sharia. Law.
You could look it up.

Did the group that performed the action base their actions on Sharia law?

1st line of the article:

You could look it up.

Did the group that performed the action base their actions on Sharia law?

Define "Sharia law".

In any case -- both the thread, and the article it's based on, clearly say "under Islamic law" -- not "under Sharia law". Ghana has neither. Therefore whatever transpired wasn't "under" either.

Forum List

Back