Unbreaking America: Solving the Corruption Crisis

iceberg

Diamond Member
May 15, 2017

we've gotten so busy being worried about our own needs and rights, they're *all* getting taken away.

good video if you can keep an open mind.

That video requires your mind to be so open till your brain falls out.
Well you have to have it before it can fall out, so you are safe.

Every time I post a quick remark without actually knowing what I'm talking about, I end up having to apologize. I went back and watched the entire video, and I offer you my apology. I'm not too sure gerrymandering can be ended as simply as the video implied, but it is certainly worth trying.

Every time I post a quick remark without actually knowing what I'm talking about, I end up having to apologize. I went back and watched the entire video, and I offer you my apology. I'm not too sure gerrymandering can be ended as simply as the video implied, but it is certainly worth trying.
wow.

in that case no apology necessary and thank you for giving it a 2nd look.

I don't think any of it will be easy but first thing that must change is us.

we have to get out of the "fight first" mindset we are entrenched in.

myself included.

we've gotten so busy being worried about our own needs and rights, they're *all* getting taken away.

I hate looking at video's as a primary source- because frankly so much on Youtube is just dreck- but I went to the source- good stuff
Anti-Corruption is What We Do | RepresentUs
In general I support all of the ideas here. Thanks for sharing.

I hate looking at video's as a primary source- because frankly so much on Youtube is just dreck- but I went to the source- good stuff
Anti-Corruption is What We Do | RepresentUs
In general I support all of the ideas here. Thanks for sharing.

I'm just not a video person and would rather read. but this one got me interested enough to watch it and think it worth sharing.

Gotta agree with you on the gerrymandering... The duopoly is seriously entrenched and if it isn't one side then it's the other. It's been in the courts so often that when redistricting is even presented any more the standard is to wait and see if the courts will uphold it.
Simple solution, in my humble opinion, break districts down by county. If a town crosses county lines then its in the district the majority of the town is.
Term limits.
I feel they are an absolute must. At every level that is elected. City Council to POTUS. Enough of the "experience" being the catch phrase. Government should be by the people for the people. I don't believe I'd have an issue if a person goes from mayor to state senator to congressional rep to president, just as long as each position isn't held for any longer than 2 terms per. Regardless of what they have by their name R or D.
Here is a link to the current list of longest serving congressional reps;
Seniority in the United States House of Representatives - Wikipedia

Scroll down to the current list of seniority or some such menu item... Some of those folks have been in office almost as long as I've been around. I doubt they hear the "common man" any longer.

Which brings me to lobbyist.... Much like gerrymandering, this one will be tough. I'd like to see it done away with, but then, alot of what I personally believe in would no longer have a voice. Veterans choice in health care, if it works as planned, will be one benefit I will/have gleaned from lobbying. That being said, maybe a better way for lobbying is more transparency in what actually is happening would be a better idea. I don't really have a solid answer on this, just spitballing right now. I'd be interested in what you think.

Gotta agree with you on the gerrymandering... The duopoly is seriously entrenched and if it isn't one side then it's the other. It's been in the courts so often that when redistricting is even presented any more the standard is to wait and see if the courts will uphold it.
Simple solution, in my humble opinion, break districts down by county. If a town crosses county lines then its in the district the majority of the town is.
Term limits.
I feel they are an absolute must. At every level that is elected. City Council to POTUS. Enough of the "experience" being the catch phrase. Government should be by the people for the people. I don't believe I'd have an issue if a person goes from mayor to state senator to congressional rep to president, just as long as each position isn't held for any longer than 2 terms per. Regardless of what they have by their name R or D.

Scroll down to the current list of seniority or some such menu item... Some of those folks have been in office almost as long as I've been around. I doubt they hear the "common man" any longer.

Which brings me to lobbyist.... Much like gerrymandering, this one will be tough. I'd like to see it done away with, but then, alot of what I personally believe in would no longer have a voice. Veterans choice in health care, if it works as planned, will be one benefit I will/have gleaned from lobbying. That being said, maybe a better way for lobbying is more transparency in what actually is happening would be a better idea. I don't really have a solid answer on this, just spitballing right now. I'd be interested in what you think.

I agree there are some problems with politicians holding the same position for long periods of time, but I also see the advantage of knowing how things work. One congress a few years back actually passed a bill that said if the senate didn't take it up in so many days, it would automatically become law. That was stupid, and would never have happened if there weren't so many new idiots swept into office.
In my opinion, correction gerrymandering, lobbyist regulation, and campaign finance reform would solve many of our biggest problems. Plenty of other problems to solve later, but those 3 should be first priority.

Term limits.

I agree there are some problems with politicians holding the same position for long periods of time, but I also see the advantage of knowing how things work. One congress a few years back actually passed a bill that said if the senate didn't take it up in so many days, it would automatically become law. That was stupid, and would never have happened if there weren't so many new idiots swept into office.
In my opinion, correction gerrymandering, lobbyist regulation, and campaign finance reform would solve many of our biggest problems. Plenty of other problems to solve later, but those 3 should be first priority.
I think the video did a good job of outlining common problems both sides face. Hell, check us out talking all civil. :) but we need changes of this sort if we are to continue on and it makes me breathe a bit easier both sides seem to see this as "Common ground".

Term limits.

I think the video did a good job of outlining common problems both sides face. Hell, check us out talking all civil. :) but we need changes of this sort if we are to continue on and it makes me breathe a bit easier both sides seem to see this as "Common ground".
We, left, right, center, moderate, gotta find it somewhere. It's better than constantly trolling each other. We (list again) aren't always right or wrong.... But compromise can be achieved.

Term limits.

Of course there is common ground. I believe there always has been some. I got a little less inclined to discuss some things about the time I was to;d that I hate America, and expect someone else to support me. I generally respond in the same way I am approached, or more accurately, attacked on this site.

Term limits.

Of course there is common ground. I believe there always has been some. I got a little less inclined to discuss some things about the time I was to;d that I hate America, and expect someone else to support me. I generally respond in the same way I am approached, or more accurately, attacked on this site.
fair enough. from my own point of view i feel like you and others come in here "looking" to attack. i'll go back to the other thread where you keep talking about a painting as a prime example of his misuse of funds and address that point there, but like you - i feel when someone is attacking me i'm going to respond in kind. i think after a bit our own expectations of what people are going to say are "set" and we simply stop listening or even trying to care about an opinion.

kinda a "been there, done that" scenario. if you feel that way then rest assured i'd have to believe we all do at times i suppose. i feel from my point of view i don't attack right off but someone snarks off and "pre-existing conditions" i suppose comes back into play and we're all off bitching at each other once more.

like i said - it's going to take a lot of effort on both sides to end this *if* that is the goal. i know some people are here only to troll and whine and will never listen to reason. or at least another version of it. :)

in any event, i about fell over when you came back agreeing with me on something. it was like a ray of sunshine in a long running storm and the only time i've gotten what *i* felt anyway an honest effort to try and get what someone was saying that didn't jive with how you already felt.

enough of all that. just gives me hope we as a country can eventually get past the bitching and hate. or it was just a fluke.

guess we'll find out.

we've gotten so busy being worried about our oown needs and rights, they're *all* getting taken away.

The voter voucher idea was interesting. Ranked choice voting is a good idea. Commissions on drawing Congress districts? Hard pass. Who sits on the commission? There’s the problem. My idea is this:

let’s say there are 10 districts in a state for the sake of ease of math. Take a non political way of dividing those districts...area codes, zip codes, etc.. and assign them a class based on their population. Let’s use zip codes. Class 1 zip codes have (just plucking numbers) have 50,000 people. Class 2 have 40-50K. Class 3 has fewer. The numbers will vary by state of course.

So the zip codes are put into these classes and then, at random, assigned to each district—class 1 first, class 2 next, class 3 etc... This goes on until each district has roughly the same number of people. Since current districts are drawn without concern for geography, a district having voters in 7 different cities without regard to race or regional intrastate interest is not going to be a problem.

Any commission is flawed from the start if the reason for its formation is to get rid of political influence.

we've gotten so busy being worried about our oown needs and rights, they're *all* getting taken away.

The voter voucher idea was interesting. Ranked choice voting is a good idea. Commissions on drawing Congress districts? Hard pass. Who sits on the commission? There’s the problem. My idea is this:

let’s say there are 10 districts in a state for the sake of ease of math. Take a non political way of dividing those districts...area codes, zip codes, etc.. and assign them a class based on their population. Let’s use zip codes. Class 1 zip codes have (just plucking numbers) have 50,000 people. Class 2 have 40-50K. Class 3 has fewer. The numbers will vary by state of course.

So the zip codes are put into these classes and then, at random, assigned to each district—class 1 first, class 2 next, class 3 etc... This goes on until each district has roughly the same number of people. Since current districts are drawn without concern for geography, a district having voters in 7 different cities without regard to race or regional intrastate interest is not going to be a problem.

Any commission is flawed from the start if the reason for its formation is to get rid of political influence.

i do think there are many ways to get to a fair system and appreciate any effort that is meant to do that. it would just take sitting down, putting away hate and distrust, and working to build a system and not allow people to derail it because said system would work better for them *in that instance* and then do it another way where it only serves 1 side.

changes need to fix the system, not tilt it.

Forum List

Back