UN: US Breached International Law Executing Mexican

Republicans only have contempt for anything "foreign".

"Unintended Consequence" tells you they have put Americans in other countries in jeopardy. As if they care.

U.S. broke international law by executing Mexican national, says U.N. - CNN.com

Humberto Leal Garcia Jr., 38, was convicted of raping and killing a 16-year-old girl.STORY HIGHLIGHTS
The U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights says U.S. breached international law
Humberto Leal Garcia, a Mexican national, was not granted consular access
The U.S. Supreme Court denied a stay of execution
Leal was not informed of his right to contact the Mexican consulate upon his arrest
(CNN) -- The United States breached international law by executing a Mexican national without having granted him consular access, the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights said Friday.

Navi Pillay, in a statement, said she deeply regrets the execution of Humberto Leal Garcia, after a 5-4 decision by the U.S. Supreme Court denied him a stay of execution Thursday night.

"The execution of Mr. Leal Garcia places the U.S. in breach of international law," said Pillay, who is on an official mission in Mexico. "What the state of Texas has done in this case is imputable in law to the U.S. and engages the United States' international responsibility."

Pillay said Leal was not granted consular access, which -- as a foreign national -- was his right under Article 36 of the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations.

The denial of access raises concerns about whether Leal got a fair trial, Pillay said.

This one sort of slid by with all the hoopla about other things. But when I first read about this in the news, I REALLY thought Texas would hold up a little while to let this get worked out.

I realize there is most likely a message they wanted to send to their next door neighbor, but is this really the way?

When the same exact thing happens to an American overseas..this is going to be a big fat "I told ya so..".

"Unintended Consequence" tells you they have put Americans in other countries in jeopardy. As if they care.

yeah, dipshit. that's why there have been how many executions of DOMESTIC criminals in Texas?

Personally, I think Texas did the right thing. I don't really care what the UN thinks, says or does. They are a toothless, parasitic organization devoted to destroying American hegemony.
So the US is in violation of Int'l law? OK. What are they going to do about it? Nothing. They have no power whatsoever. NONE. Period.

It is time to de-fund the UN, sell the land in NYC, and put up a Starbucks.

The Empire must be perserved..

Viva Pax Americana!

:lol:

Humberto Leal Garcia Jr., 38, was convicted of raping and killing a 16-year-old girl.STORY HIGHLIGHTS
The U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights says U.S. breached international law
Humberto Leal Garcia, a Mexican national, was not granted consular access
The U.S. Supreme Court denied a stay of execution
Leal was not informed of his right to contact the Mexican consulate upon his arrest
(CNN) -- The United States breached international law by executing a Mexican national without having granted him consular access, the U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights said Friday.

Navi Pillay, in a statement, said she deeply regrets the execution of Humberto Leal Garcia, after a 5-4 decision by the U.S. Supreme Court denied him a stay of execution Thursday night.

"The execution of Mr. Leal Garcia places the U.S. in breach of international law," said Pillay, who is on an official mission in Mexico. "What the state of Texas has done in this case is imputable in law to the U.S. and engages the United States' international responsibility."

Pillay said Leal was not granted consular access, which -- as a foreign national -- was his right under Article 36 of the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations.

The denial of access raises concerns about whether Leal got a fair trial, Pillay said.

This one sort of slid by with all the hoopla about other things. But when I first read about this in the news, I REALLY thought Texas would hold up a little while to let this get worked out.

I realize there is most likely a message they wanted to send to their next door neighbor, but is this really the way?

When the same exact thing happens to an American overseas..this is going to be a big fat "I told ya so..".
no it won't. thanks for playing, though.

Liberals and Democratics only have contempt for America and Americans.

Their indifference to the slaughter of actual U.S. citizens on U.S. soil by illegal aliens is pretty astounding.

The fact that Leal ULTIMATELY got eradicated is hardly an indication that any Americans have been endangered.

If U.S. citizens overseas get arrested for crimes (actual or imagined) and then get treated as fairly as Leal got treated here, Americans wouldn't have anything to complain about.

Tell us, rdunce, you sanctimonious dick-weed: what country is it you fear will now treat an American arrested/charged for a crime in some miserable fashion that wouldn't have done so anyway?

:cuckoo:

Their indifference to the slaughter of actual U.S. citizens on U.S. soil by illegal aliens is pretty astounding.

The fact that Leal ULTIMATELY got eradicated is hardly an indication that any Americans have been endangered.

If U.S. citizens overseas get arrested for crimes (actual or imagined) and then get treated as fairly as Leal got treated here, Americans wouldn't have anything to complain about.

Tell us, rdunce, you sanctimonious dick-weed: what country is it you fear will now treat an American arrested/charged for a crime in some miserable fashion that wouldn't have done so anyway?

All of them, dumbass.

All of them, dumbass.

Bullshit, scum-sucker.

You think England is now going to screw with the rights of the accused if an American gets busted in Jolly Olde? You are a bigger asshole than even I thought you were if you honestly think that.

Now, perhaps your idiot-concern is that fucking Mexico (that world-renowned bastion of legality and fair treatment) will suddenly mistreat American arrestees more than they have in the past?

You truly are a little dick -- with an even smaller brain. Metaphysically speaking.

It's already happened.

Getting a visa for Brazil use to be easy. Since the United States changed that deal with Brazil..Brazil followed suit and made it a real pain in the ass for Americans to travel there.

Reciprocity..

The US didn't execute the Mexican. Texas did. It might seem like a minor difference but the Supreme Court didn't think so. It's interesting that the UN has no opinion about the ATF shipping 2,000 illegal weapons to Mexico which were used to murder a lot more Mexicans than a single depraved murderer.

It's already happened.

Getting a visa for Brazil use to be easy. Since the United States changed that deal with Brazil..Brazil followed suit and made it a real pain in the ass for Americans to travel there.

Reciprocity..

If we had reciprocity, we'd be shooting the illegals instead of giving them jobs.

Gee, I hope this didn't upset Mexicans to the point that they would leave America.

Do you think that American prisoners being held abroad will fare better because of this?

Do you honestly believe they will fare worse?

Absolutely.

An absolutely baseless belief.

The thinking is bizarre. It goes like this:

Country "A" sees an American State execute an illegal alien from Mexico MANY many years after the illegal alien committed a foul murder. BUT the illegal alien apparently didn't get to consult with his fucking nation's consul or embassy prior to his legal proceedings (or during those proceedings). Nevertheless, he did get a full fair trial where the folks of Texas paid for him to have a lawyer representing his rights as an accused in OUR criminal justice system. (Yep, he got treated EXACTLY the same as a citizen in that respect.)

The illegal alien also got treated to tax-payer provided attorney representation for his EXTENSIVE years and years worth of appeals.

Oh the horror. Those horrible, evil, nasty Americans.

If ONLY he had been able to contact the Mexican embassy! Oh wait. He could. But the Vienna treaty makes it incumbent on the local law enforcement (or the courts) to ADVISE the illegal alien that he can ask for help from his own nation's diplomats. HOWEVER, treaties are not self-enforcing. The various nations that are parties to that treaty must enact whatever laws are needed to put it into effect. Congress never did.

Ergo, the Supreme Court correctly determined that Texas had no obligation to Leal beyond what Texas had graciously accorded to him already. A fair trial and legal representation.

Nevertheless, because the U.S. is a signatory to the Vienna Treaty (actually, the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations) the other nation ("A") might be offended that in the case of the murderer, Leal, the signatory, USA, failed to definitively comply with Article 36, therefore Nation "A" will now go out of its way to fuck with Americans accused of crimes in Nation "A."

Pretty low opinion you libbies have of other nations.

Forum List

Back