UK's first all-electric car charging forecourt opens in Essex

This is all very encouraging.A real kick in the bollocks for the deniers.
And where is that electricity for those cars coming from again?

Solar? Pretty dark out this time of year? Wind? Dont think you have enough Dutch Windmills to cover the whole bucktooth population of Britain yet. So will you be charging cars, and cutting off your computer and other electricity while charging?

The article explains it. All you have to do is read. On top of that if you aren't interested don't buy one. It's simple.

Are electric cars perfected yet? No, people still largely rode horses when cars hit the road. This is simply another large step forward. I don't understand why that scares so many people.
People aren't scared, they're just savvy enough to know the infrastructure is not there to support the idea. It was reported that a third of motorists can't charge a vehicle from home. People are not convinced because the technology is currently not there in terms of what people see as an adequate alternative to petrol and diesel.

In general, people on the whole don't like change and will just envisage the negatives.

For example, after a flood in city where I live, the power was off for over a week. No problem for my diesel car but what problems would I have experienced if it was an EV?

The only way EV's will work is that you own the car but not the batteries. When the batteries run low, you stop at a converted petrol station where they swap your battery pack with a charged one and you pay the charge cost. Or, technology means the car is charged in 2 to 5 minutes.

We didn't really even have roads before we had cars. No one is arguing that this is a done technology. Actually if power is off you can't get diesel either as the pumps won't work. If you have diesel in your car it will run. If your car is charged it will run.

I keep 2 Jerry cans full of diesel, 50 litres in total in the garage.

Solar? Pretty dark out this time of year? Wind? Dont think you have enough Dutch Windmills to cover the whole bucktooth population of Britain yet. So will you be charging cars, and cutting off your computer and other electricity while charging?

The article explains it. All you have to do is read. On top of that if you aren't interested don't buy one. It's simple.

Are electric cars perfected yet? No, people still largely rode horses when cars hit the road. This is simply another large step forward. I don't understand why that scares so many people.
People aren't scared, they're just savvy enough to know the infrastructure is not there to support the idea. It was reported that a third of motorists can't charge a vehicle from home. People are not convinced because the technology is currently not there in terms of what people see as an adequate alternative to petrol and diesel.

In general, people on the whole don't like change and will just envisage the negatives.

For example, after a flood in city where I live, the power was off for over a week. No problem for my diesel car but what problems would I have experienced if it was an EV?

The only way EV's will work is that you own the car but not the batteries. When the batteries run low, you stop at a converted petrol station where they swap your battery pack with a charged one and you pay the charge cost. Or, technology means the car is charged in 2 to 5 minutes.

We didn't really even have roads before we had cars. No one is arguing that this is a done technology. Actually if power is off you can't get diesel either as the pumps won't work. If you have diesel in your car it will run. If your car is charged it will run.

Many people keep generators.

That run on petrol !! So burn petrol to charge your car and feel you saved the planet. You didn't think that through, did you!!

There have been electric charging posts in parking lots in Canada and northern Maine for decades so people could run the heaters on their engine blocks.

pknopp I think you're misunderstanding the EV concept. I'm not against the EV idea, that is not the issue. The issue is, the idea that we suddenly go EV is disastrous. Once in a blue moon, a charge point appears. In the UK, there's some 40 million cars. A random charge point is not great. A third of these car owners can't charge from home. Many streets are not suitable to charge cars. And the UK government are banning the sale of new petrol/diesel cars from 2030.

It's the current technology and impossible infrastructure build that's under question.

pknopp I think you're misunderstanding the EV concept. I'm not against the EV idea, that is not the issue. The issue is, the idea that we suddenly go EV is disastrous. Once in a blue moon, a charge point appears. In the UK, there's some 40 million cars. A random charge point is not great. A third of these car owners can't charge from home. Many streets are not suitable to charge cars. And the UK government are banning the sale of new petrol/diesel cars from 2030.

It's the current technology and impossible infrastructure build that's under question.
That sounds serious. The infrastructure has to be there to support it.

That run on petrol !! So burn petrol to charge your car and feel you saved the planet. You didn't think that through, did you!!

Hyperbole. That's all you have. Should we have quit making petrol cars more efficient also?

Hyperbole. That's all you have. Should we have quit making petrol cars more efficient also?

What does your generator run off?

These arent unreasonable questions. But I think that the advent of a renewable age will bring fundamental changes to our society. This recharging station will seem quaint in a few years. Remember internet cafes ?

What does your generator run off?

What difference does it make? You are running with hyperbole again.

These arent unreasonable questions. But I think that the advent of a renewable age will bring fundamental changes to our society. This recharging station will seem quaint in a few years. Remember internet cafes ?
An alternative to petrol and diesel is required, EV's could be the answer. The banning of new fossil cars in 2030 seems ambitious giving the task required to create the infrastructure. I'll be early 60's in 2030 so I'll buy my last new diesel car then. That will see me out into old age. Who knows, if EV's become viable, I may buy one when prices are realistic and if technology improved etc..

An alternative to petrol and diesel is required, EV's could be the answer. The banning of new fossil cars in 2030 seems ambitious giving the task required to create the infrastructure. I'll be early 60's in 2030 so I'll buy my last new diesel car then. That will see me out into old age. Who knows, if EV's become viable, I may buy one when prices are realistic and if technology improved etc..

Nobody is going to ban anything. You know this.

Nobody is going to ban anything. You know this.

Yes and no. The UK government committed to banning new diesel and petrol cars in 2040. They've now stuck their neck out and moved it to 2030. Will it happen? I doubt it, but we live in crazy times, so we'll see.

Forum List

Back