UK School: Hot Cross Buns Too Religious! Yes, Seriously

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?StoryID=20060206-120137-1464r

School deems hot cross buns 'offensive'

IPSWICH, England, Feb. 6 (UPI) -- A school in England has decided that hot cross buns are religiously offensive, and demanded the supplier start making them as simply cross-less currant buns.

Traditionally served at Easter time, the buns have been around since 1361, when a monk reportedly made small spiced cakes stamped with the sign of the cross, to be distributed to the poor visiting the monastery at St. Albans on Good Friday.

Head teacher Tina Jackson of the Oaks Primary School in Ipswich says that might offend some religious minorities like Jehovah's Witnesses, who are not allowed to worship things of a pagan nature.

But the Rev. Haley Dossor told the Suffolk Evening Star political correctness has gone too far.

"All religions have particular traditions, habits and customs and this is one of the traditions of the Church of England," he said.

One parent who asked not to be identified told the newspaper it was an absurd move.

"I have never heard of anything so ridiculous. Since when have hot cross buns been offensive?" the parent asked the Star.

Next thing you know, PETA will demand that there are no more chocolates shaped like the Easter Bunny.

I say we take up arms...burn building..kill people.

WE WANT OUR HOT CROSS BUNS!!

Can the banning of Shepherd's Pie be far behind? Just think how offended the all those shepherd's must be.

readymealchild02.jpg

GotZoom said:
Next thing you know, PETA will demand that there are no more chocolates shaped like the Easter Bunny.

I say we take up arms...burn building..kill people.

WE WANT OUR HOT CROSS BUNS!!

I keep thinking that someday we will attain that magical state of PCness but

nnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

How could we have overlooked those offensive HOT CROSSED BUNS !

(you can get them under the counter at the Mary Ann and Ginger thread)

Abbey Normal said:
Can the banning of Shepherd's Pie be far behind? Just think how offended the all those shepherd's must be.

readymealchild02.jpg
There were lots of shepherds in the Bible. The religious connotations are overwhelming! :eek:

Abbey Normal said:
And we can no longer allow girls to wear their hair in pig tails (ironically, also in the Ginger/Mary Anne thread)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

NOT THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT

insein said:
a solution for everyone. Turn the sandwich 45 degrees. Now its an X. :thup:

But that will offend all followers of malcolm X, and tic tac toe players, and math students,,and, and, and, muslims..........

insein said:
a solution for everyone. Turn the sandwich 45 degrees. Now its an X. :thup:

And every Scot will tell you that St. Andrew was crucified on a cross shaped like an X - thus, the Scot flag, featuring such a cross, white, on a blue background.

Forum List

Back