UK puts gay guy on £50 banknote

Alan Turing was a great scientist and a major contributor to the modern age. I can think of few more deserving.

That being said, when I read the headline I guessed that they were putting Oscar Wilde on the bank note.
Not to mention his part in ending WWII

It's impossible to imagine what he and countless others could have achieved if not for the outright bigotry of the past

Alan Turing gets on the £50 banknotes, the guy was persecuted for being gay, even though he was a national hero. How the UK was back then, and some countries are today.
No. No-one was "persecuted" for being gay - he was persecuted for breaking the law (at the time) which was committing lewd homosexual acts.

Contrary to this popular myth, being gay has never been illegal. Shagging your own sex was criminal, though. There's a difference.

he was persecuted for breaking the law (at the time) which was committing lewd homosexual acts.

Being gay was legal, as long as you're celibate? A sexual orientation without sex is pretty much a useless definition, isn't it?

All sexual relations are lewd ... if you're doing them right.
Pretty much yes.

But there was the distinction in the law.

No-one was made a criminal for just being gay.

Might have been sodomy laws. I'd need to double check that tho.

Just for expressing it.
Already said yes.

How many times you want/expect me to confirm it to you?

Just highlighting the absurdity of that line of reasoning. It's amusing to me.
That idiot comes from a flat earth, creationist background so you waste your time discussing any adult topic with him. Turing was a national hero who was treated as a criminal and this gesture is too little too late.

Just for expressing it.
Already said yes.

It's not my line of reasoning though. It was a stupid law at the time.

I'm always of the opinion what 2 consenting adults get up to, in their bedrooms, behind closed doors provided they aren't harming themselves or others is zero business of mine or anyone else's.

I can't stand the LGBTQ movement because it's an industry, political and laced with perverts but the actual act of homosexuality, to me, is no different to me being disgusted by the thought of having sex with a big fat greasy chick, having sex with an ugly black chick with furry hair, having sex with a midget or whatever.

We all like what we like sexually.

Just for expressing it.
Already said yes.

That idiot comes from a flat earth, creationist background so you waste your time discussing any adult topic with him. Turing was a national hero who was treated as a criminal and this gesture is too little too late.
I never said he wasn't a hero. I am pointing out the distinction in the law. It's never been illegal to be gay - no matter how much history is rewritten.

Where are you getting the flat earth, creationist shit from? that's news to me - not like you to jump in with baseless accusations though. Welsh nonce.

That idiot comes from a flat earth, creationist background

I'm not a creationist, unless you consider The Big Bang an act of Creationism. But, I do respect the central tenant of The Flat Earth Society.

No one should believe in something just because that is what they are taught. If you can't explain why you believe in something, then it is no different to superstition.

Don't know or care anything about the guy on the 50 Pound note. But if the note is anything like the 50 dollar bill, I would avoid it like the plague.

I hate those $50 bills: They look too much like the 20 dollar bill and are easy to confuse, so the teller makes a mistake and short-changes you. That's already happened to me.

They also mess up your count when you count your money. Throwing in an odd number when you're counting even numbers sucks. I only like even numbers.

Don't know or care anything about the guy on the 50 Pound note. But if the note is anything like the 50 dollar bill, I would avoid it like the plague.

I hate those $50 bills: They look too much like the 20 dollar bill and are easy to confuse, so the teller makes a mistake and short-changes you. That's already happened to me.

They also mess up your count when you count your money. Throwing in an odd number when you're counting even numbers sucks. I only like even numbers.

Like most countries, UK bills come in different colors and sizes. Making it very easy to distinguish.

Just using a tiny bit of logic here............
Maybe the guy is on the money because of his actions and deeds for his country..........not for his personal and private lifestyle.
If specifics about peoples personal lives are going to be initiated, then how about all the lives the Royal Family has destroyed over it hypocritical hierarchy over the many decades they have been on the money?

Im just sayin.jpg

Like most countries, UK bills come in different colors and sizes. Making it very easy to distinguish.

We must have missed that memo. :laughing0301:

main-qimg-80ce0481e711987100cd613122992e36

UK notes, and those in most other countries. We seem to be the exception to that rule.

Alan Turing gets on the £50 banknotes, the guy was persecuted for being gay, even though he was a national hero. How the UK was back then, and some countries are today.
No. No-one was "persecuted" for being gay - he was persecuted for breaking the law (at the time) which was committing lewd homosexual acts.

Contrary to this popular myth, being gay has never been illegal. Shagging your own sex was criminal, though. There's a difference.

Right.... he wasn't persecuted for being gay, but the law persecuted gay people, and that was the law.

Ah yes, being gay wasn't illegal, just acting on it.......

Splitting hair somewhat....

UK notes, and those in most other countries. We seem to be the exception to that rule.

That's because we're exceptional. :auiqs.jpg:

Forum List

Back