UCLA Professor Suspended and Under Police Protection After Refusing To Exempt Black Students From Final Exam

JustAGuy1

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2019
Gordon Klein, an accounting professor in the Anderson School of Business has taught at University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) for almost 40 years. He is now suspended and under police protection in his home. The reason? Klein refused to exempt black students from his final exam and sent a pointed rebuttal to students asking for the “no harm” exam. Parts of the response was certainly mocking in tone, more so than I would have considered appropriate. The school has launched a formal discrimination investigation. However, the suspension, investigation, and death threats against Klein reinforce the fear of many in the academy of a raising orthodoxy on campus and a lack of support for faculty involved in controversies.

According to Inside Higher Ed, a group of students asked Klein for a “no-harm” final exam that could only benefit students’ grades as well as shortened exams and extended deadlines. They cited recent “traumas, we have been placed in a position where we much choose between actively supporting our black classmates or focusing on finishing up our spring quarter . . . We believe that remaining neutral in times of injustice brings power to the oppressor and therefore staying silent is not an option.”

Poor me. Gimmee,gimmee, gimme.

sit tight----you aint seen NUTHIN' yet. ----suspension of school debt, suspension of rent payment, ---coming soon---Increase suspension of supermarket check-out,
free electronics for all "students of color" .......monthly
STIMULUS CHECK

Gordon Klein, an accounting professor in the Anderson School of Business has taught at University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) for almost 40 years. He is now suspended and under police protection in his home. The reason? Klein refused to exempt black students from his final exam and sent a pointed rebuttal to students asking for the “no harm” exam. Parts of the response was certainly mocking in tone, more so than I would have considered appropriate. The school has launched a formal discrimination investigation. However, the suspension, investigation, and death threats against Klein reinforce the fear of many in the academy of a raising orthodoxy on campus and a lack of support for faculty involved in controversies.

According to Inside Higher Ed, a group of students asked Klein for a “no-harm” final exam that could only benefit students’ grades as well as shortened exams and extended deadlines. They cited recent “traumas, we have been placed in a position where we much choose between actively supporting our black classmates or focusing on finishing up our spring quarter . . . We believe that remaining neutral in times of injustice brings power to the oppressor and therefore staying silent is not an option.”

I'm surprised at the level of snark from an accountant, not surprised that he didn't realize it wouldn't go over very well.

I'm surprised at the level of snark from an accountant, not surprised that he didn't realize it wouldn't go over very well.

UNDER POLICE PROTECTION? --!!!!!!!!! what is that
/????? EXAMOPHOBIA?

sit tight----you aint seen NUTHIN' yet. ----suspension of school debt, suspension of rent payment, ---coming soon---Increase suspension of supermarket check-out,
STIMULUS CHECK
Yes various forms of 'reparation' are just starting. Oprah is going to have special called "What matters now?" that is going to explore all the benefits Blacks should push for.

Gordon Klein is Da Man!:TH_WAY~113:

Note to self, NEVER hire a black accountant.

Will we grant CPA status to black people with no exam?

Note to self, NEVER hire a black accountant.

Will we grant CPA status to black people with no exam?
They still have to pass the exam to be CERTIFIED. That's what the C stands for. I worked for a lawyer whose final exams in law school were CANCELLED because they were scheduled to begin the day after Kent State. He was graduated without his finals. But he still had to pass the Bar Exam.

STIMULUS CHECK
Yes various forms of 'reparation' are just starting. Oprah is going to have special called "What matters now?" that is going to explore all the benefits Blacks should push for.

fear not. the BRILLIANT Linda Sarsour has stated that ANYONE WHO puts a colorful rag on his or her head is AUTOMATICALLY a PERSON OF COLOR &&&&&
there is hope for all of us

I don't think he was being racist. Just a hard ass. No one ever had a hard ass professor in college?

Yes, it was less than sympathetic to imply that students in California didn't have any business getting worked up over "something that happened in Minneapolis." That's missing the point, and then some. But I don't see where it's racist. The request was ridiculous. The University did the right thing by granting an extension to everyone, if there was a lot of activity on campus. There is nothing wrong with that, either.

I asked for a make up exam for my finals in law school so I could go to my mom's funeral. I was told no make up exam. Show up or fail. I went straight from her grave to my finals. And passed.

I have no sympathy.

In my opinion, colleges should have the same standard for all races.

This professor was not being racist.

The racists are the ones who think that students of different races should be held to different standards:

UCLA Professor Under Police Protection Following Threats

UCLA suspended professor for refusing to cancel finals for minorities after George Floyd killing

June 9, 2020

A college professor is living under police protection after rebuffing a request to exempt minority students from taking final exams in the wake of George Floyd's death.

University of California Los Angeles accounting professor Gordon Klein faced threats of violence after he declined a student's request that he delay a final exam in light of national unrest. The university suspended the professor for three weeks beginning on June 25 and launched a discrimination investigation into the incident. Klein declined a request for comment, but a Malibu Police Department spokesman said the department increased police presence near the educator's home after Klein received multiple threats.

In my opinion, colleges should have the same standard for all races.

This professor was not being racist.

The racists are the ones who think that students of different races should be held to different standards:

UCLA Professor Under Police Protection Following Threats

UCLA suspended professor for refusing to cancel finals for minorities after George Floyd killing

June 9, 2020

A college professor is living under police protection after rebuffing a request to exempt minority students from taking final exams in the wake of George Floyd's death.

University of California Los Angeles accounting professor Gordon Klein faced threats of violence after he declined a student's request that he delay a final exam in light of national unrest. The university suspended the professor for three weeks beginning on June 25 and launched a discrimination investigation into the incident. Klein declined a request for comment, but a Malibu Police Department spokesman said the department increased police presence near the educator's home after Klein received multiple threats.
When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Universities where you go to expand your horizons and expose yourself to new thoughts...and potentially get your life threatened for it.
college encourages lively exchange of idea.png

Forum List

Back