UCLA blacks scream RACISM at professor who corrected their punctuation

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
If colleges dropped all these silly liberal arts degrees and taught only STEM like they should, few blacks would attend college. There's the answer.

Professor Called Racist For Correcting Black Student?s Grammar And Punctuation - Downtrend.com

January 22, 2014
. 25 University of California Los Angeles students participated in a sit-in protest because, get this, one of their professors had the gall to correct grammar and spelling issues on some black students’ papers.

Val Rust, a professor of education and information, was the target of the protestors for what they feel was racial insensitivity. Describing themselves as “aggrieved minority students,” they claim that the professor was wrong to correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar in the papers of black students.

Call 2 Action: Graduate Students of Color, the group which launched the sit-in, said the act of correcting a black student was “micro-aggression.” But it’s much worse than you think. The group issued the following statement:

“A hostile campus climate has been the norm for Students of Color in this class throughout the quarter as our epistemological and methodological commitments have been repeatedly questioned by our classmates and our instructor. The barrage of questions by white colleagues and the grammar ‘lessons’ by the professor have contributed to a hostile class climate.”

For all the hype and grandstanding over their professor’s “crime” the only example the protesters could put forth was this: he told a black female student that the word “indigenous” should not be capitalized. The student felt this correction was “ideologically motivated.” Indigenous is an adjective and should not be capitalized unless it’s at the beginning of a sentence like the way I just used it. I learned that in grade school.

Just who are the racists here?

VAL.jpg

Val Rust Graduate School of Education and Information Studies

ShootSpeeders, normally you are as silly as these students you describe, but on this OP, you got it right.

Can't believe how thin skinned some blacks have become when it comes to dealing the race card. The prof is simply doing his job, or perhaps that of the black students' previous teachers who should have covered such a simple concept as proper capitalization.

So yeah, rather than learn a lesson let's have a protest sit-in for such a racist non-action by a professor. How'd these morons ever get into college in the firsst place? Never mind. I know the answer.

As an engineering grad, I recall being frustrated in one of my last mandatory humanities courses to see such corrections myself. I regarded it as trivial and a bit insulting to see grammatical corrections. But I came to appreciate the correction efforts when I realized that grammar enforces clarity and avoids the risk of conflicting interpretation of a written statement.

These students need to mature and to realize that they will get more from the profs who criticize them than from those who provide undeserved praise or grades.

Added another one:

Grammar and punctuation are racist, noticing things is racist, learning is racist, songs are racist, tests are racist, history is racist, America is racist, western civilization is racist, Europe is racist, whites are racist, conservatives are racist, firemen are racist, colorblindness is racist, equal opportunity is racist, the truth is racist, fairness is racist, "live and let live" is racist, self-determination is racist, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches are racist, free association is racist, Gun Owners are racist, rights are racist...

Black people simply do not believe they should be corrected EVER. To correct an error requires that a judgment be made and they are simply above all judgment.

Black people simply do not believe they should be corrected, ever. To correct an error requires that a judgment be made and they are simply above all judgment.

Fixed that for you, Katz. Even a Juris Doctor isn't above being reminded that an adverb shouldn't be capitalised in the syntax you've employed. Not forgetting there should be a comma between "corrected" and "ever".

Other than that, I'm in agreement with what you've written.

Sent from the memories of an English grammar school way back in the day, where any grammatical error was usually met with severe pain.

Last edited:
Professor Called Racist For Correcting Black Student?s Grammar And Punctuation - Downtrend.com

January 22, 2014
. 25 University of California Los Angeles students participated in a sit-in protest because, get this, one of their professors had the gall to correct grammar and spelling issues on some black students’ papers.

Val Rust, a professor of education and information, was the target of the protestors for what they feel was racial insensitivity. Describing themselves as “aggrieved minority students,” they claim that the professor was wrong to correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar in the papers of black students.

Call 2 Action: Graduate Students of Color, the group which launched the sit-in, said the act of correcting a black student was “micro-aggression.” But it’s much worse than you think. The group issued the following statement:

“A hostile campus climate has been the norm for Students of Color in this class throughout the quarter as our epistemological and methodological commitments have been repeatedly questioned by our classmates and our instructor. The barrage of questions by white colleagues and the grammar ‘lessons’ by the professor have contributed to a hostile class climate.”

For all the hype and grandstanding over their professor’s “crime” the only example the protesters could put forth was this: he told a black female student that the word “indigenous” should not be capitalized. The student felt this correction was “ideologically motivated.” Indigenous is an adjective and should not be capitalized unless it’s at the beginning of a sentence like the way I just used it. I learned that in grade school.
Indigenous is a also a race, and therefore, like 'African-American' and 'Sioux' deserves a capital letter..as a mark of respect if nothing else.
So says bianco, the man in the street.

...protestors for what they feel was racial insensitivity. Describing themselves as “aggrieved minority students,” they claim that the professor was wrong to correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar in the papers of black students.

These students are totally wrong.
How else are they going to learn what's correct spelling, punctuation, and grammar.
In law firms and the corporate world they don't write 'wa choo doin'.

If these Black students hope to compete in the corporate workforce with others who do know how to speak, spell, and write "the Queen's english"[with an American twist] correctly, they need to take notice of their professor and learn the correct way.

What's the point of going to university if you're not going to learn anything?
What's the point of going to university if you're english spelling, punctuation, and grammar when you come out are as still as bad as when you went in?
Corporate bosses-employers, the ones who pay the salaries, judge staff on the standard of their letter writing and writing of reports etc.

They tried that PC "as long as the student's meaning can be understood, spelling and grammar will not be marked" nonsense in Sydney-NSW Australia schools.
It was a dismal failure.
All the schools churned out were a lot of "illiterate" "dodos"...many of whom became teachers...the rot continued.
Now, the error of it all has been recognised, and the system changed.

Last edited:
...or so it seems. It seems that every criticism of certain people is deflected as a racial attack. I think it's those sensitive narcissists that complain the most. It's the least educated among them that complain the most among them.

Taken out of context, the correction would be rude and demeaning as if the one teaching was looking down on the one that was learning. In the context of a respected, accomplished university professor pointing out a technical error in the submitted paper of a post graduate student supposedly striving for a higher degree, the student should know to recognize it as a lesson instead of a slur.

Black people simply do not believe they should be corrected EVER. To correct an error requires that a judgment be made and they are simply above all judgment.

That's BS. Blacks are simply mentally inferior and can't make it in college so they scream racism and discrimination. Blacks know they are idiots and don't want the liberals to find that out.

Should the Professor be forced to resign?
I mean what he did was unforgivable.
These young people will carry this around with them the rest of their lives.
What was he thinking?...

That's BS. Blacks are simply mentally inferior and can't make it in college so they scream racism and discrimination. Blacks know they are idiots and don't want the liberals to find that out.

Kudos to you for being living proof that there is no racial monopoly on idiocy.

Yup--So phony affirmative action puts these lazy miscreants into the system. Then when they're there, they continue to insist that the de-evolution should continue.

Forum List

Back