Ubuntu

Here's what's happening with this.

I installed ubuntu on my laptop, and didn't like the way it partitioned the HD. It cut space for windows off, only leaving 30MB for additional files. This is OK for the laptop, but unacceptable for the Monster.

During an install attempt on the Monster, I could not get it to allow me to manually partition the HD. So, I aborted the install.

So, I went out and got myself a 1 TB hard drive:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001IEZX3G]Amazon.com: Western Digital Caviar Green 1 TB Bulk/OEM Hard Drive 3.5 Inch, 32 MB Cache, 7200 RPM SATA II WD10EADS: Electronics[/ame]
07b2c060ada07dcfb4cdf110.L._AA280_.jpg

One Terabyte. 95 bucks.

I will transfer my windows OS and all files to this, and make it my main HD. I will then put ubuntu on my existing 300GB HD.

While I was at it, I got myself some really cool new blowers for my case cooling. All of this of course, paid for by Obama, my $400 stimulus check arrived!

By the way, I love ubuntu on my laptop, hardly ever use windows on that machine any more.

But on the Monster, I need windows for at least the time being, I have some programs there which won't run on Linux. Chiefly, my 32 track Dolby Digital 5.1 audio studio program.

I'll find ways around everything as I go along, and will be getting off windows completely in the future.

LOVE that stimulus check! LOOK at the infrastructure improvements I was able to do and still have $250 left over for beer!

If you do a lot of multimedia work there is a flavour of Ubuntu called Ubuntu Studio which is apparently pretty good. I have never used it so I can't give a personal view on it.

Home | Ubuntu Studio
Excellent tip! Thanks, I am investigating.

What do you make of a 1TB hard drive for under a hundred bucks? I think it's cool as hell myself.

A pun! Nice piece of kit that one and good price. When I eventually upgrade my old computer I'll have to look at some effective cooling.
I build my own, always have. This beast I built in 2006 so it's time for some upgrades.

I recommend next time you get a new computer, build it yourself don't buy retail. To buy this computer I have right now, retail would be around 2 grand, cost me $850 to build.

A pun! Nice piece of kit that one and good price. When I eventually upgrade my old computer I'll have to look at some effective cooling.
I build my own, always have. This beast I built in 2006 so it's time for some upgrades.

I recommend next time you get a new computer, build it yourself don't buy retail. To buy this computer I have right now, retail would be around 2 grand, cost me $850 to build.

Thanks for that idea, I reckon I'll give it a try, there are quite a few places here that sell parts that I can use to build my own. And I reckon it would be a bit of fun as well. But I'm a bloke who can get the cold sweats when he reads "Some assembly required" on a cardboard box so I'll have to do quite a bit of planning first - happily I have some computer magazines here with very comprehensive "how tos" so those will be a big help.

Thanks for that idea, I reckon I'll give it a try, there are quite a few places here that sell parts that I can use to build my own. And I reckon it would be a bit of fun as well. But I'm a bloke who can get the cold sweats when he reads "Some assembly required" on a cardboard box so I'll have to do quite a bit of planning first - happily I have some computer magazines here with very comprehensive "how tos" so those will be a big help.
This site is excellent for BTO online:

TigerDirect.com - Computers, Computer Parts, Computer Components & Electronics

I recommend the BTO (build to order) line, Systemax. Comes to you just the way you specified, ready to plug in and go. You can get it with no OS or with, customize it any way you want. Awesome hardware, great computers that you design, they assemble. Huge $$$$ savings too! You can build it with no OS and put yer open source Linux on it when it comes to your door.

Midnight, you can control the partitioning yourself and choose how much goes to which, you just have to do it a bit more manually. On a 20 gig HD when I first did a dual boot with it I had 50/50. The swap partition is a requirement for all OSs, just Windoze uses it's own file system so it's hidden and adjustable, but also prone to a lot more errors and slower. If you are running Vista then it sucks to be you, it's just XP with more graphics libraries and uses more space than needed.

Midnight, you can control the partitioning yourself and choose how much goes to which, you just have to do it a bit more manually. On a 20 gig HD when I first did a dual boot with it I had 50/50. The swap partition is a requirement for all OSs, just Windoze uses it's own file system so it's hidden and adjustable, but also prone to a lot more errors and slower. If you are running Vista then it sucks to be you, it's just XP with more graphics libraries and uses more space than needed.
I will never switch to Vista, that's the whole reason for seeking out another OS. I know Microdick is gonna try to force Vista on we XP users, and that's not gonna fly with me.

For some reason when installing ubuntu from DVD, it wouldn't accept my manual partitions. It kept wanting to default back to where ubuntu takes over the world. But that's ok, it can have the 300GB drive when the 1TB one arrives!

I do alot of audio work, so the storage the 1TB provides will serve me well into next decade. I have one more open slot for another drive, who knows -- in a couple of years we'll have 3TB drives that fit that slot.

But there's no doubt, ubuntu is superior to windows in alot of ways. It runs like a champ on my laptop. It's ultra stable too. (Not that I ever had windows crash, not even in the old days.)

My deal is, FUCK Microdick. I am NOT going to Vista, I will buy a fucking MAC if it comes down to it. But this Linux so far makes it look like I won't have to do that.

I will never switch to Vista, that's the whole reason for seeking out another OS. I know Microdick is gonna try to force Vista on we XP users, and that's not gonna fly with me.

For some reason when installing ubuntu from DVD, it wouldn't accept my manual partitions. It kept wanting to default back to where ubuntu takes over the world. But that's ok, it can have the 300GB drive when the 1TB one arrives!

I do alot of audio work, so the storage the 1TB provides will serve me well into next decade. I have one more open slot for another drive, who knows -- in a couple of years we'll have 3TB drives that fit that slot.

But there's no doubt, ubuntu is superior to windows in alot of ways. It runs like a champ on my laptop. It's ultra stable too. (Not that I ever had windows crash, not even in the old days.)

My deal is, FUCK Microdick. I am NOT going to Vista, I will buy a fucking MAC if it comes down to it. But this Linux so far makes it look like I won't have to do that.

Okay ... it's the same reason I switched to, saying "fuck MS". You're setup must be different than mine enough to make installation different. I am not good at helping remotely and usually have to see things in person to tweak it. Just go with what works for you, you can't go wrong as long as you are happy with it. Oh, and Apple computers uses a home-brew Unix core, but are suppose to be switching to Linux soon to, go figure.

Upgraded to Jaunty Beta but given that it's nearly time for release I don't think it is a big risk. So far so good.

I tried it but had to go back to Hardy, just didn't want to mess with the X-Server configuration by hand and couldn't get OpenGL to work right. I'll wait for the official release maybe but I'm happy with Hardy.

That's the thing - if it works for you then no problem - I mean it's not like it's essential to upgrade, things still do what you want them to do. I had problems with Pulse in Hardy and reverted to Gutsy then I worked out that Hardy's Pulse was sending the sound signals to my onboard sound card not the SB I had installed. Once I went into the setup and disabled the onboard Pulse worked beautifully and I had Hardy working.

One thing I'm staying away from, Nvidia upgrades outside of the distro - did it once and blew up my X - had to save work through the console and then reinstall.

That's the thing - if it works for you then no problem - I mean it's not like it's essential to upgrade, things still do what you want them to do. I had problems with Pulse in Hardy and reverted to Gutsy then I worked out that Hardy's Pulse was sending the sound signals to my onboard sound card not the SB I had installed. Once I went into the setup and disabled the onboard Pulse worked beautifully and I had Hardy working.

One thing I'm staying away from, Nvidia upgrades outside of the distro - did it once and blew up my X - had to save work through the console and then reinstall.

I haven't been impressed with Nvidia in a long time, it's like they are just fucking with us on purpose lately.

I haven't been impressed with Nvidia in a long time, it's like they are just fucking with us on purpose lately.

I put it down (with good reason) to my incompetence.

Forum List

Back