Ubuntu

I am going to first load ubuntu on my laptop. I don't care what happens to it, there are no files on it which are vital. I will use it as a learning tool, a guinea pig, before taking it to this desktop.

On this computer, there are approximately 2 million files on it which are vital, irreplaceable.

I am going to first load ubuntu on my laptop. I don't care what happens to it, there are no files on it which are vital. I will use it as a learning tool, a guinea pig, before taking it to this desktop.

On this computer, there are approximately 2 million files on it which are vital, irreplaceable.

Eew ... Windoze updates .... eeew.

No.... Always real picky about allowing those.

My concern is I might lose my files if the disk isn't partitioned correctly.

Good move. I have two pc's (neither are high end) one with XP and one with Debian. The Debian one is my main computer (it has in its life had XP, Fedora, Ubuntu and a few other distros on it) but the Windows one is where I keep the important files and my work. I don't touch that one. On the Debian one I do the experimenting and learning about how this stuff works.

Aaah ... why not get some server space online and back them up?

Aaah ... why not get some server space online and back them up?
I have everything backed up. I just don't like inconveniences and/or surprises. I host four of my own websites, so online server space is aplenty.

I am posting now using ubuntu with the default firefox browser, on my laptop. The installation went smoothly with no hitches. It gave me the chance to import all documents and settings from XP which I did.

Now I will go out and get AdBlockPlus for this firefox installation.

I shall return shortly.

Oooh ... one nifty thing about Ubuntu that I know any Windoze before Vista (not sure if Vista or others have it yet), if you misspell anything in any document you can just right-click on the word and the recommendations appear in the context menu ...

... yes, I use it a LOT.

Oooh ... one nifty thing about Ubuntu that I know any Windoze before Vista (not sure if Vista or others have it yet), if you misspell anything in any document you can just right-click on the word and the recommendations appear in the context menu ...

... yes, I use it a LOT.
Ahh,much better. All ads blocked now.

Yes firefox has always had that, never saw it though in any windows program except Word.

I will now start exploring and playing around with this new toy!

... yes, I use it a LOT.
Ahh,much better. All ads blocked now.

Yes firefox has always had that, never saw it though in any windows program except Word.

I will now start exploring and playing around with this new toy!

LOL ... my recommendations for some fun programs:

Artist:

Blender - download from the blender site though instead of direct install to get the most updated version without serious upgrades.

Programming:

Eclipse - takes a bit of getting use to but it's worth it.

Audio:

Amarok - the only flaw: no Winamp like skins.

Fun stuff:

ZSNES Emulator
FreeCiv - if you like Civilizations 1, 2, or 3 (it's all three in one really).
XChat - IRC if you like that sort of thing.

Everything else you may need is already there.

GPRename
Kuickshow (for images - I know it's KDE but it works fine)
Transmission for bit torrents
VLC Media Player
gPodder

Just a few favourites.

Bah, I love Gimp for images, it's the default editing tool and the only one that handles PNG and MNG perfectly, the most versatile and useful format at the lowest possible compression with alpha blending is PNG.

PNG rules ....

PNG!

Of course GIMP for editing, Kuickshow is just for basic viewing. GIMP has a bit of a steep learning curve but it's worth it.

Good thing about Ubuntu (and Debian) is that ability to open up the little programme that lets you scan through all the most popular apps and you can download what you want. Of course Synaptic allows it too but with that many apps available it can be a bit mind-boggling unless you know what you're looking for.

One thing though, I found TOR was extremely slow on both Ubuntu Ibex and Debian 5.0 so I had to get rid of it. I can't find a good proxy and I'm not able to use all that VPN stuff, it's beyond me.

Of course GIMP for editing, Kuickshow is just for basic viewing. GIMP has a bit of a steep learning curve but it's worth it.

Good thing about Ubuntu (and Debian) is that ability to open up the little programme that lets you scan through all the most popular apps and you can download what you want. Of course Synaptic allows it too but with that many apps available it can be a bit mind-boggling unless you know what you're looking for.

One thing though, I found TOR was extremely slow on both Ubuntu Ibex and Debian 5.0 so I had to get rid of it. I can't find a good proxy and I'm not able to use all that VPN stuff, it's beyond me.

Oh, I just use Eye of Gnome for viewing.

I love Synaptic! Not only the pop-app installer but the system app installer, my Java is so top of the line in my system because of that. Tweaked to perfection, so when I code I can test so many possible setups with just the click of a button, thanks to some little tools I found on Synaptic so I didn't have to waste my own time writing the code I can focus on my more important coding. Bah! Ubuntu just rules.

Oooh ... and Midnight, something fun to do, hold the mouse over any sound file for a few seconds, don't click or anything, just let it hover ... make sure your speakers aren't too loud though.

Thanks for all these tips! I have used The Gimp for years, I also like Irfanview. So far my ubuntu experience has been good. I can boot to either XP or ubuntu with no issues, and all the files did migrate perfectly.

That's the laptop mind you. I haven't put ubuntu on the Main yet.

I used F-Spot Photo Manager last night to fix up some old scanned photos I had. Transferred them from the XP machine to the Debian one. F-Spot is an excellent photo-editing tool.

Back it up.

And back the backup up.

It's kind of funny, they are now advertising the "new" image editing software for Windoze ... found out that they had better packages for Linux since a long time ago. How odd is that?

The only thing no one has written yet that I would like to see in Linux is better movie editing software. The few that do exist are not very stable and I am just not that good with graphics so coding it myself would be way too much work.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back