Uber IPO flop

Rocko

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 30, 2011
NY
i bought preIPO shares at 65 thinking I was getting an awesome deal. Lyft has been getting hammered as well. My Pinterest is doing nicely though, but not to makeup for the Uber. And I’m on restriction for another 6 months. At least I’ll be able to trade options on it in a month. I’m praying it get over 65 in a month from now. As it stands, today is a very bad day for the Rocko residence

UBER TECHNOLOGIES, INC (UBER) Stock Price, Quote, History & News

Last edited:
i bought preIPO shares at 65 thinking I was getting an awesome deal. Lyft has been getting hammered as well. My Pinterest is doing nicely though, but not to makeup for the Uber. And I’m on restriction for another 6 months. At least I’ll be able to trade options on it in a month. I’m praying it get over 65 in a month from now. As it stands, today is a very bad day for the Rocko residence

Give it time...

Give it time...

Being on restriction that’s the only thing I can do. I’m still feel there’s a lot of upside in Uber, but I wish I would have waited to buy the stock in the primary market at 45, instead of the secondary market at 65.

Give it time...

Being on restriction that’s the only thing I can do. I’m still feel there’s a lot of upside in Uber, but I wish I would have waited to buy the stock in the primary market at 45, instead of the secondary market at 65.
Yeah, that sucks.

I'm a professional investor. I used to run a portfolio of stocks.

My advice to you is that if you are praying for something to happen, get out of it.

Cut your losses and get out ASAP.

BTW, I used to trade a LOT of IPOs.

I'd get an allocation from the bookrunner, and we'd usually flip in the first hour of the open. I made millions for my employer during the insane tech bubble in 1999-2000.

My advice to you is that if you are praying for something to happen, get out of it.

I can’t get out of it. The shares are restricted for 6 months

Then you better pray!

As I said above, I'm a professional investor. I once ran a $500 million portfolio of stocks for an institution. I did a lot of IPOs.

What you must know about IPOs is that they usually make money for the buyer off the offering in the first month, but then wind up underperforming the market over the next two years. That's why I'd usually flip them after I received an allocation.

I know how the market works. My guess is that Uber will dramatically underperform the market for some time, especially after what Lyft has done.

However, if you like the long-term prospects of Uber, I'd hang on, and maybe buy more in the after-market if the stock plummets.

Google botched their IPO when they bypassed Wall Street in a Dutch auction. The stock got hammered. But many years later, it's been a home run.

Then you better pray!

As I said above, I'm a professional investor. I once ran a $500 million portfolio of stocks for an institution. I did a lot of IPOs.

What you must know about IPOs is that they usually make money for the buyer off the offering in the first month, but then wind up underperforming the market over the next two years. That's why I'd usually flip them after I received an allocation.

I know how the market works. My guess is that Uber will dramatically underperform the market for some time, especially after what Lyft has done.

However, if you like the long-term prospects of Uber, I'd hang on, and maybe buy more in the after-market if the stock plummets.

Google botched their IPO when they bypassed Wall Street in a Dutch auction. The stock got hammered. But many years later, it's been a home run.

I’m hoping Uber bucks the traditional trend of IPO trading a la Facebook. I believe in the company, but I’m getting killed right now

Then you better pray!

The funny things is is there were rumors of Uber doing an auction IPO similar to that of Google. They decided against it and went the traditional route.

My biggest positions are Uber and Airbnb. Airbnb is going to do a direct listing, so investors aren’t subject to rule 144, thank God.

The thing that pisses me off is Morgan and Goldman were saying not too long ago that Uber is looking at a 120 billion dollar valuation.

Last edited:

The real problem with Uber, as well as with Lyft, is that they really don't offer anything unique to engender loyalty with both their customers as well as their partners. No real reason for a passenger to pick one over the other except for price and that goes for the drivers as well.

That's not a good sign as it really hurts them if they raise prices.

Further, I think they are vulnerable to future competition from Amazon which has thousands under contract delivering packages, Grubhub and other driving outfits.

These various factors make their high 8 figure valuation pretty iffy in my view.

As a transportation company, they have a valuation right now muchmore than United and Southwest Air combined, two established companies in the field that have been around for decades

The real problem with Uber, as well as with Lyft, is that they really don't offer anything unique to engender loyalty with both their customers as well as their partners. No real reason for a passenger to pick one over the other except for price and that goes for the drivers as well.

Further, I think they are vulnerable to future competition from Amazon which has thousands under contract delivering packages, Grubhub and other driving outfits.

These various factors make their high 8 figure valuation pretty iffy in my view.

As a transportation company, they have a valuation right now muchmore than United and Southwest Air combined, two established companies in the field that have been around for decades

Would it be fair to say Uber owns nothing but software and name recognition. Part of that recognition though is in getting sued for bypassing regulations and driver crimes?

Would it be fair to say Uber owns nothing but software and name recognition. Part of that recognition though is in getting sued for bypassing regulations and driver crimes?

They also own their customer and driver lists, as well as a lot of data that they've accumulated in regards to their traveling habits and other items. The key is in monetizing those assets. Particularly the customer base. Customers for Pepsi buy the product over the competition at Coca Cola and it makes the brand valuable. Customers for Chesterfield buy their product over the competition at Lucky Strike similarly and engender brand loyalty.

Uber needs to do the same kind of thing, but they haven't so far.

isn't Uber just a façade,,,,,no there there...If they were to go away would the economy even notice….of all the ipo's to be jacked about I dont understand this one,

I did some cost averaging down. Watch, Uber will trade like Facebook and Amazon. I have all the confidence in the world that this investment will come back to me in spades!

Forum List

Back