There will be no Trade Deal.

The Banker

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2017
Boston
IMO the markets are WAY too overly optimistic about a trade deal getting done. China is never going to cave to Trump. China will wait this out until the election and hope Trump loses so they can negotiate with somebody else that will not take such a hard line.

I don't see China giving in to Trump's demands and I see this escalating.

I am looking for China to announce their retaliatory tariffs against the US hopefully this weekend or very soon, which should cause a small drop in the market and a good opportunity to sell Put spreads against GOOG again. Friday was a good day for me $.

Yep, I agree. China is going wait Trump out and hope he's gone in 2020.

They'd rather take the short term hit than renegotiate long term deals.

IMO the markets are WAY too overly optimistic about a trade deal getting done. China is never going to cave to Trump. China will wait this out until the election and hope Trump loses so they can negotiate with somebody else that will not take such a hard line.

I am looking for China to announce their retaliatory tariffs against the US hopefully this weekend or very soon, which should cause a small drop in the market and a good opportunity to sell Put spreads against GOOG again. Friday was a good day for me $.

Trump snowed his base of support with this con man game of bullshit concerning the 'trade war'

These things are, "good and easy to win" :9:

This is the kinda shit we get when idiots & white trailer trash elect a carnival barker in a clown suit.

• Banned
and that's ok.
For the most part I support Trump on this trade war, if ever there were a time to try and push the issue it is now. But the important issues are the forced technology transfers and the property theft, much less important is the trade gap.

What the average Trump supporter is not smart enough to understand is that globalism has a lot of benefits. We need to be getting our raw materials and goods for the lowest price possible, and tariffs get passed on to the consumer. This increase in tariffs will personally cost us money right out of our pockets, but the economy is strong so we can afford it... for now.

Globalism only hurts lazy, dumb, unskilled workers, globalism benefits the majority of Americans because it means we get to buy things for substantially cheaper, and globalism creates more high paying jobs in our country. If your jobs skills are the same as an illiterate moron from some 3rd world country then you have a problem and that is your fault, not mine. You should have planned a better career path.

If you are a skilled worker with a good education and good jobs skills globalism is a good thing because it means you get to buy a lot more things at a lot cheaper prices, most Trump supporters can't seem to understand this.

Cheap Chinese steel is an overall benefit to the US, sure it hurts the steel workers, but it benefits so many other areas substantially more. I feel bad for the steel workers, but they need to take personal responsibility for their career choices and get themselves into a better industry, then they would benefit from globalism like I do.

and that's ok.
For the most part I support Trump on this trade war, if ever there were a time to try and push the issue it is now. But the important issues are the forced technology transfers and the property theft, much less important is the trade gap.

What the average Trump supporter is not smart enough to understand is that globalism has a lot of benefits. We need to be getting our raw materials and goods for the lowest price possible, and tariffs get passed on to the consumer. This increase in tariffs will personally cost us money right out of our pockets, but the economy is strong so we can afford it... for now.

Globalism only hurts lazy, dumb, unskilled workers, globalism benefits the majority of Americans because it means we get to buy things for substantially cheaper, and globalism creates more high paying jobs in our country. If your jobs skills are the same as an illiterate moron from some 3rd world country then you have a problem and that is your fault, not mine. You should have planned a better career path.

If you are a skilled worker with a good education and good jobs skills globalism is a good thing because it means you get to buy a lot more things at a lot cheaper prices, most Trump supporters can't seem to understand this.

Cheap Chinese steel is an overall benefit to the US, sure it hurts the steel workers, but it benefits so many other areas substantially more. I feel bad for the steel workers, but they need to take personal responsibility for their career choices and get themselves into a better industry, then they would benefit from globalism like I do.
How do you address the job flight...…...can we get our money back Obama gave GM to build factories in China. How bout all the jobs that left for MExico only to disappear because an unfit labor pool and crime extinguished it

Trump snowed his base of support with this con man game of bullshit concerning the 'trade war'

These things are, "good and easy to win"
No worries. Argentina will buy US soybeans at a discount after it's sold its crop to China.

If Trump loses there won't be any negotiations, it will be a matter of "Here ya go Communist China, America is yours, come and do as you please, I have a yacht party to attend".

Trump is the only president with the patriotism and the balls to confront them.

BTW Trump has proposed zero worldwide tariffs......no takers.....dont they know tariffs are bad...….LLMMAAOOO

Globalism is garbage like the rest of your OP. Chinese steel is "sand" steel and it's garbage. You're trying to sound like some kind of elitist but I doubt you're much of an investor with your 1980's take on how an economy works. Thinking like the OP is what wiped out what is now the "rust belt" and tore apart our middle-class.....get lost, loser.

and that's ok.

How do you address the job flight...…...can we get our money back Obama gave GM to build factories in China. How bout all the jobs that left for MExico only to disappear because an unfit labor pool and crime extinguished it
GM building factories in China isn't globalism and that has little to do with this trade deal, it's your incorrect and biased opinion clouding your judgement. You need to look at all issues from an independent and unbiased perspective, and not just unquestionably listen to anything somebody with an R next to their name says, or some lie and biased stupidity said on Foxnews.

BMW, Toyota etc all have factories in America and it allows them competitive access to our markets. GM building factories in China is a good thing because it gives us competitive access to the Asian and Australian markets. All the cars we sell in Asia and Australia are made in those factories, and it greatly lowers the costs of making those cars which makes them competitive in those markets. SO if the choice is between opening up factories in China to sell cars in those markets and make way more money, or not doing that, having less sales, and making less money, than that is a no brainer...

Like I said I support Trump on his trade war, and wanted him to raise tariffs even though it will cost me money because now is the best time to address this issue- with the economy ripping. But if China digs their heels in and the tariffs don't cause them pain we could lose this fight, but if we do then we go back to what we have now, so it's not like we lose that much.

, but if we do then we go back to what we have now, so it's not like we lose that much.

$500B a year "not that much"? Do you know what venture-capital is? We are borrowing to finance that trade imbalance...there's only so much money available for lending....so how are we supposed to finance American start-ups? Get lost, loser.

and that's ok.

GM building factories in China isn't globalism and that has little to do with this trade deal, it's your incorrect and biased opinion clouding your judgement. You need to look at all issues from an independent and unbiased perspective, and not just unquestionably listen to anything somebody with an R next to their name says, or some lie and biased stupidity said on Foxnews.

BMW, Toyota etc all have factories in America and it allows them competitive access to our markets. GM building factories in China is a good thing because it gives us competitive access to the Asian and Australian markets. All the cars we sell in Asia and Australia are made in those factories, and it greatly lowers the costs of making those cars which makes them competitive in those markets. SO if the choice is between opening up factories in China to sell cars in those markets and make way more money, or not doing that, having less sales, and making less money, than that is a no brainer...

Like I said I support Trump on his trade war, and wanted him to raise tariffs even though it will cost me money because now is the best time to address this issue- with the economy ripping. But if China digs their heels in and the tariffs don't cause them pain we could lose this fight, but if we do then we go back to what we have now, so it's not like we lose that much.
GM is shipping Chinese made cars to America...try to keep up

and that's ok.

Japanese cars were alrdy competing quite well against American cars before they built factories here

Globalism is garbage like the rest of your OP. Chinese steel is "sand" steel and it's garbage. You're trying to sound like some kind of elitist but I doubt you're much of an investor with your 1980's take on how an economy works. Thinking like the OP is what wiped out what is now the "rust belt" and tore apart our middle-class.....get lost, loser.
Hmm care to actually present real facts to back up your ridiculous arguments. I doubt it. How about you read this, I'm sure you won't though...

How the American steel industry nearly committed suicide — and not from trade

World War II killed off foreign competition, almost literally, with the massive destruction of the industrial base in Germany and Japan, along with Moscow’s demands for reparations in the form of German mills being transplanted to the Soviet Union. By 1948, with America producing 40 percent of the world’s steel, U.S. mills employed nearly 700,000 workers.

When Europe and Japan began rebuilding, they constructed mills using new and innovative technology. These “basic-oxygen” furnaces and continuous casting methods proved far more efficient and less expensive than steel produced by the open-hearth integrated mills in America. Rather than adopt the new process, executives at firms such as U.S. Steel, Bethlehem Steel and Republic Steel stubbornly stuck with their outmoded methods. Not until the 1960s did a few basic-oxygen plants open in the United States.

Another misstep was using their riches for financial games rather than investing in productivity and innovation. For example, Armco, whose Middletown, Ohio, mill features in the book Hillbilly Elegy, tried to turn itself into a conglomerate in the early 1980s. It bought an insurance company. Many of the majors failed to adequately fund their pension programs when times were good, which would prove catastrophic later.

Finally, Ken Iverson’s Nucor (which has an operation in Seattle) revolutionized steel production with its electric arc minimills. By the 1980s, more steel was being made from scrap than from the traditional base of mined iron ore. The minimills were ideally suited to this. Nucor so wanted to reinvent steelmaking that it preferred to train rookies than hire experienced steelworkers.

The facts seem to disagree with you... What destroyed the US steel industry was the massive failure of the steel executives to adapt to the new lower cost methods of steel production. They were too cheap to make the needed upgrades to their plants and foreign steel companies developed a big advantage over them which allowed them to crush the US companies. This is how capitalism works, you can't pick and choose which laws of capitalism you want to follow...

I wouldn't expect you to understand any of this though, it's easier for you to just yell and scream than inteligently join the debate. Check mate.

And Trump is enjoying the inflation it brings to the treasury from US taxpayers and customers noting he will give away those tariff taxes to other nations. How generous he is with our money but you asshats wants to try and say only socialist want to give away someone else's money..You damn fools were fooled yet again.

and that's ok.

Yes and the savings get passed on to the US consumer, do you want to pay $40,000 or $43,000 for the same new car? I'll take the $40k.

There are plenty of great jobs and job opportunities for skilled and educated workers, if you were too lazy to get educated and get job skills, that's not my fault. How about taking personal responsibility for you actions in life and stop looking for the government to bail you out all the time.

and that's ok.

Yes and the savings get passed on to the US consumer, do you want to pay $40,000 or $43,000 for the same new car? I'll take the $40k.

There are plenty of great jobs and job opportunities for skilled and educated workers, if you were too lazy to get educated and get job skills, that's not my fault. How about taking personal responsibility for you actions in life and stop looking for the government to bail you out all the time.
Why do you think zero tariff proposal was rejected......eh....you assume a lot about me ……...tell me more about this bailout I need

Forum List

Back