U.S. Would Consider Ground Troops In Iraq To Help Save Refugees

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
EDGARTOWN, Mass. — A senior White House official said on Wednesday that the United States would consider using American ground troops to assist Iraqis in rescuing Yazidi refugees if recommended by military advisers assessing the situation.

Benjamin J. Rhodes, the deputy national security adviser, told reporters on Martha’s Vineyard that President Obama would probably receive recommendations in the next several days about how to mount a rescue operation to help the refugees, who are stranded on a mountaintop surrounded by Sunni militants. He said those recommendations could include the use of American ground troops.

But he drew a distinction between the use of American forces to help a humanitarian mission and the use of troops in the battle against militants from the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, something he said the president had rejected before and continued to oppose.

More: U.S. Could Use Ground Troops to Aid Rescue of Iraq Refugees - The New York Times

I foresee mission creep.

EDGARTOWN, Mass. — A senior White House official said on Wednesday that the United States would consider using American ground troops to assist Iraqis in rescuing Yazidi refugees if recommended by military advisers assessing the situation.

Benjamin J. Rhodes, the deputy national security adviser, told reporters on Martha’s Vineyard that President Obama would probably receive recommendations in the next several days about how to mount a rescue operation to help the refugees, who are stranded on a mountaintop surrounded by Sunni militants. He said those recommendations could include the use of American ground troops.

But he drew a distinction between the use of American forces to help a humanitarian mission and the use of troops in the battle against militants from the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, something he said the president had rejected before and continued to oppose.

More: U.S. Could Use Ground Troops to Aid Rescue of Iraq Refugees - The New York Times

I foresee mission creep.

Took the words right outa' my mouth.

It would take a large force to do that President Obama won't commit to large scale air strikes against ISIS I see no reason to think he would commit a large scale ground force.

Obama has stated that there will be no boots on the ground to fight ISIS. I hope he sticks to that.

Obama has stated that there will be no boots on the ground to fight ISIS. I hope he sticks to that.

There already are boots on the ground to fight ISIS that is the Kurds right now they are the best fighters in Iraq they have been pro western for a long time supply them with weapons back them with airstrikes and you could defeat ISIS with no American ground troops going in.

There already are boots on the ground to fight ISIS that is the Kurds right now they are the best fighters in Iraq they have been pro western for a long time supply them with weapons back them with airstrikes and you could defeat ISIS with no American ground troops going in.

I'm okay with that. Even Iraq is reportedly arming the Kurds.

It must be an error. We all know that the Obama administration stated that no ground troops would be sent to Iraq.

The Obama administration has consistently said that there will be no combat troops on the ground as part of its ongoing operation in northern Iraq to push back ISIS and bring humanitarian aid to thousands of under-siege Yazidi civilians.

Obama Considering Boots on the Ground in Iraq - NationalJournal.com

From the above link, these were Obama's own words...
We will not be sending U.S. troops back into combat in Iraq

As we've seen lately, President Obama has the credentials of an outstanding President. That is as President of the Liar's Club. History just keeps on repeating itself, and he's getting good at it.

It must be an error. We all know that the Obama administration stated that no ground troops would be sent to Iraq.

The Obama administration has consistently said that there will be no combat troops on the ground as part of its ongoing operation in northern Iraq to push back ISIS and bring humanitarian aid to thousands of under-siege Yazidi civilians.

As we've seen lately, President Obama has the credentials of an outstanding President. That is as President of the Liar's Club. History just keeps on repeating itself, and he's getting good at it.

To my knowledge, there are still no U.S. troops in Iraq that would engage in combat with ISIS.

WE WOULDN'T BE AT THIS POINT Had Obama and the Hildebeast gotten OFF their asses a negotiated a STATUS OF FORCES AGREEMENT...which the groundwork WAS LAID by the previous administration...Instead WE are treated to excuses and BLAME...and Obama cannot make up his fucking mind. The story changes day to fucking day.

WE SEE EVIL turned loose because of Obama's ineptness/INACTION. Can Obama clean up his own messes?

I doubt it. He's too busy planning his next vacation/Golf Outing.

I'm okay with that. Even Iraq is reportedly arming the Kurds.

Military advisors, and ISIS is a real threat. Not a fabricated enemy; it matters not how it began, and if Obama should have begun action sooner himself. Split blame 50/50 between Bush II & Obama. What matters is a group beyond our imagination until now. ISIS claims the ideal of an Islamic state; there are signs that there is a strong second & competing ideal--WWIII.

WE WOULDN'T BE AT THIS POINT Had Obama and the Hildebeast gotten OFF their asses a negotiated a STATUS OF FORCES AGREEMENT...which the groundwork WAS LAID by the previous administration...Instead WE are treated to excuses and BLAME...and Obama cannot make up his fucking mind. The story changes day to fucking day.

WE SEE EVIL turned loose because of Obama's ineptness/INACTION. Can Obama clean up his own messes?

So do Obama's daily top secret intel reports.

The seeds were sown when we got rid of one of the few SECULAR leaders in the region, and backed off the fight against al Qaeda. Why they were allowed to remain only King Abdullah, and his puppet know. Now, the world must confront them or pay an unknown price.

Just two days ago I started a thread on Obama sending ground troops to Iraq.. I was told I was a liar, EVERY liberal said over and over, "Obama isn't sending in group troops and won't send them.

All of you BOZO ass lickers look like the fools you truly are.

Just two days ago I started a thread on Obama sending ground troops to Iraq.. I was told I was a liar, EVERY liberal said over and over, "Obama isn't sending in group troops and won't send them.

What has changed? As I understand it, all of Obama's actions are geared toward humanitarian efforts. No combat troops to fight ISIS - so far.

What has changed? As I understand it, all of Obama's actions are geared toward humanitarian efforts. No combat troops to fight ISIS - so far.

What's the legal status of our forces there ? Are they subject to Iraqi law ?

To my knowledge, there are still no U.S. troops in Iraq that would engage in combat with ISIS.
These were the words of Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel ...
There will be no boots on the ground in Iraq

Also, Obama has once again bypassed congress in regards to the operation in Iraq, including the recent airstrikes. Same for the ground operation. I guess Congress is there only when it serves his needs.

Forum List

Back