U.S. to Restore Full Relations With Cuba

I would be all for it if the people of Cuba actually got freedom, but they will not have freedom of speech or freedom of the press or property rights.

How is it that you know "they will not have freedom of speech or freedom of the press or property rights" ? a serious question how do you know the above ?

Because of the regimes ideology.
Have you heard anything at all from that Government that the people will have freedom of the press or speech?
Alan Gross was arrested in 2009 for trying to give the small Jewish community who has a tiny bit more freedom than the rest of Cuba. freedom to provide communications equipment to break the Cuban government's 'information blockade'

Press Release 8220 Secret Files of Alan Gross 8221 Debunk State Department Cover Story Says the Center for Democracy in the Americas
you are wrong...
March 22, 2013 |CDA

Press Release: “Secret Files of Alan Gross” Debunk State Department Cover Story, Says the Center for Democracy in the Americas
Documents released by the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia, hearing a $60 million lawsuit filed by imprisoned USAID subcontractor Alan Gross, describe a broad mission vastly exceeding State Department explanations of his activities.

The plan Gross wrote and submitted to his employer DAI, a federal contractor in Maryland, was conceived, in his words, to “change the status quo” and “hasten a transition to democracy,” using U.S. government funds set aside for “transition-to-democracy initiatives.”

According to a detailed analysis by Tracey Eaton, an investigative journalist, Gross’s plan cited the strategic importance of Cuba’s Jewish community, which he believed could be used as a “secure springboard” to reach others in Cuba, including 30,000 members of the country’s Masonic Lodges.

An infographic included in his plan also cites additional targets: “Youth, women and Afro-Cubans.”

Gross’s plan says U.S.-based humanitarian organizations that take computers and other supplies to Jews in Cuba could be useful in DAI’s democracy project. He didn’t explain in detail what he had in mind, but one possibility is that these groups could be used, perhaps unwittingly, to shuttle equipment to Cuba.

Eaton released his analysis today, as part of an on-going collaboration with the Center for Democracy in the Americas (CDA).

Rather than disclosing the larger purpose of his mission, the State Department has responded to questions from reporters by claiming Mr. Gross was focused only on connecting Cuba’s Jewish community to the Internet.

Lets do it, I want to go down there and drink a Mojito, smoke a cigar and find a wife.

You will go to the designated tourist areas only and no where else in Cuba.
Can't have anti government propaganda exposed to Cuban citizens.
and you know this how ....Cubans are much better informed than the people of the US...the people of the US get corporate reality ....

Still having a hard time seeing the difference between Cuba and China.

If someone will explain away the hypocrisy, I'd be much obliged. Otherwise, we ought to treat Cuba like China.

China is not right next door to America
Chinas nukes are capable of reaching the west coast, but Cuba with Russian missiles can reach a fast area of America.

Gee, now you sound like those "liberals" you hate so much.

Situational ethics? Subjective morals?

A bit wishy washy in your reasoning and logic. You're beginning to sound as evil as the fuckwits I personally have little time for. Keep up that sort of blathering idiocy and I shall lose any respect I might have had for you.

Machiavelli would be proud, to be sure.

How about this. . . . .

Make friends with everyone, then you don't have to worry about them killing you?

And, on a more direct note, our relationship with China has nothing to do with nukes, and has everything to do with greed and economics. American political elites are hypocrites, plane and simple. It is all about power and money with them. There is nothing that Cuba has to offer that we want that is worth the insult that besmirched the pride of the American elite establishment when Cuba did what it did fifty years ago. Let any nation leave the umbrella of American hegemony, it needs to know it will suffer the same fate as Cuba. THAT is why Cuba was made to suffer by the elites, both on the left and the right.

And it worked. Did Kaddafi ever act so brazen? No. Did Saddam act so brazen? No. How about Chavez? Nope, they kidnapped him, staged a coop, and then finally assassinated him first, but never had as much trouble, because he always did have his oil on the market. The Cuban message was always loud and clear.

If you think that Russia would ever put any missiles there now? What are you, a teenager, twenty years old? Russia would have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

I agree. The Castro's won't be around forever. Hell. Fidel might already be dead and they haven't let anyone know it.

I'm sure most of the Cuban citizens are about sick to shit of Communism by now and would love to hit the old capitalist trail.

As you said we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.

They will just get a new Dictator.
Cuban leaders are committed to a Dictatorship no matter who is the leader.
you know nothing at all about Cuba ...you speak without a "data base"

I speak from Raul Castro's own words who says that Cuba is committed to it's principals which is keeping Cuba a Dictatorship.
Riiiiiight.

His speech that he made to the people of Cuba was on C-Span and that is exactly what he said. "Cuba is committed to it's principals"

Aside from the release of Gross Cuba also released a US mole spy it had caught way back in 1995 ....... I think after 55 years of a failed policy it was time for change ...

obama has always idolized Fidel. This is his opportunity to meet his hero personally.

It's about time, I am not a supporter of Obama but I cannot find fault with this move.
The embargo has been in effect for 50 plus years and it is plainly a failed policy.
Definitely a time for a Change.

I agree. The Castro's won't be around forever. Hell. Fidel might already be dead and they haven't let anyone know it.

I'm sure most of the Cuban citizens are about sick to shit of Communism by now and would love to hit the old capitalist trail.

As you said we'll just have to wait and see how it plays out.

I speak from Raul Castro's own words who says that Cuba is committed to it's principals which is keeping Cuba a Dictatorship.
Riiiiiight.

His speech that he made to the people of Cuba was on C-Span and that is exactly what he said. "Cuba is committed to it's principals"
but when he said that he is not saying "our principles amount to a dictatorship" that is just noise going on in your head from anti Cuba brainwashing here in the US...the rest of the world sides with Cuba condemning US policy in October 2014 by a 188-2 vote at the UN

More naiveté from the Boy King.... Raul Castro is a dedicated despot.. he's just thinking he can get some money out of the stupid Americans and their stupid president.

If someone will explain away the hypocrisy, I'd be much obliged. Otherwise, we ought to treat Cuba like China.

Chinas nukes are capable of reaching the west coast, but Cuba with Russian missiles can reach a fast area of America.

A bit wishy washy in your reasoning and logic. You're beginning to sound as evil as the fuckwits I personally have little time for. Keep up that sort of blathering idiocy and I shall lose any respect I might have had for you.

How about this. . . . .

Make friends with everyone, then you don't have to worry about them killing you?

And, on a more direct note, our relationship with China has nothing to do with nukes, and has everything to do with greed and economics. American political elites are hypocrites, plane and simple. It is all about power and money with them. There is nothing that Cuba has to offer that we want that is worth the insult that besmirched the pride of the American elite establishment when Cuba did what it did fifty years ago. Let any nation leave the umbrella of American hegemony, it needs to know it will suffer the same fate as Cuba. THAT is why Cuba was made to suffer by the elites, both on the left and the right.

And it worked. Did Kaddafi ever act so brazen? No. Did Saddam act so brazen? No. How about Chavez? Nope, they kidnapped him, staged a coop, and then finally assassinated him first, but never had as much trouble, because he always did have his oil on the market. The Cuban message was always loud and clear.

If you think that Russia would ever put any missiles there now? What are you, a teenager, twenty years old? Russia would have nothing to gain and everything to lose.

I'm 62.
I support the freedom of the Cuban people and this new relationship with them is not going to give them their freedom.
If Putin wants his oil money to go back up (or anything else they think they could use for political gain or leverage) he would do that threat in a heart beat, but would never really go through with it just like the last time it happened. It's about political games and power. It also would be in the future but not now.
He is pretty happy right now with his new spying ability, having it back again in Cuba. They will use that for a little bit for political leverage against us.
I do agree with you that it is about greed with our trading to China and the elites in both parties being hypocrites.

How about this. . . . .

I do not hate, I am against any of our politicians who promote big government. Dem's or Repubs.
Speaking against them is not hate.

How about this. . . . .

I'm 62.
I support the freedom of the Cuban people and this new relationship with them is not going to give them their freedom.
If Putin wants his oil money to go back up (or anything else they think they could use for political gain or leverage) he would do that threat in a heart beat, but would never really go through with it just like the last time it happened. It's about political games and power. It also would be in the future but not now.
He is pretty happy right now with his new spying ability, having it back again in Cuba. They will use that for a little bit for political leverage against us.
I do agree with you that it is about greed with our trading to China and the elites in both parties being hypocrites.

I am sorry but the US Government is not in charge of doling out Freedom...I wonder where folks get such outlandish notions....

More naiveté from the Boy King.... Raul Castro is a dedicated despot.. he's just thinking he can get some money out of the stupid Americans and their stupid president.

its the digital age ... Obama to recalcitrant Right wing poltroons
....................../´¯/)
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Riiiiiight.

but when he said that he is not saying "our principles amount to a dictatorship" that is just noise going on in your head from anti Cuba brainwashing here in the US...the rest of the world sides with Cuba condemning US policy in October 2014 by a 188-2 vote at the UN

The government will still control them.
They will just have it a littler easier in being equal in their misery.
It isn't anti USA Cuban brainwashing. It's reading history in all of the governments who promote big government control over their people.
If the Senate passes this, you will see that the people of Cuba will still not have freedom.

How about this. . . . .

I'm 62.

I am sorry but the US Government is not in charge of doling out Freedom...I wonder where folks get such outlandish notions....

I never said that it was.
Promoting freedom is not doling out freedom.

Forum List

Back