U.S. Supremes Tee It Up Against the USGA

You don't understand the relevance of my post to what Oddball and del are arguing about?
He doesn't see any relevance because there is none.

Nobody whined to the courts to make Ruth run the bases.

the only one whining here is you, big fellah.

martin took them to court 14 years ago and won, and you still haven't unbunched your boxers. :lol:

have a nice day :thup:
And the loser still can't qualify....As though he ever could.

If I'm not mistaken, toward the end of his career, Babe Ruth would hit a home run and half-jog to first base, where a teammate would circle the rest of the bases for him.

Not in the minors.
Not in an Old-Timer's game.

In the Major Leagues.

yes thats right. and?
You don't understand the relevance of my post to what Oddball and del are arguing about?

no, I don't and apparently you don't either.

a) it was called a 'courtesy runner', the managers of each team agreed before hand, it was a LEGAL allowable move, ( it was struck out of the rules , pardon the pun in 1949).
b) it was for singles only and it had to be a pitcher who 'pinch' ran for the player ( not it wasn't just Ruth either), not some speed demon ...

don't tell me , you saw it in a movie.

If I am not mistaken the rules in baseball allow pinch runners.
But once you use that PR, the person he runs for is out of the game.

That didn't happen with Ruth.

FAIL.

The wonders of the internet strike again.

In the early days of baseball, when rosters were much more limited, there were courtesy runners in addition to pinch runners. A courtesy runner was put in when the normal runner was temporarily incapacitated by an injury. A courtesy runner had to be agreed by the opposite manager, and his presence in the game was not considered as an official substitution. He could therefore be used again once his running duty was completed, or could be a player already in the line-up, and the player for whom he ran would usually return to the game in the next half-inning. In contrast with pinch runners, courtesy runners tended to be slow base runners. The last courtesy runner in a Major League Game was used in 1949.

Pinch runner - BR Bullpen

Who fails?

oh shit......didn't see that, my apologies QW.

no fair using the net;)

But once you use that PR, the person he runs for is out of the game.

That didn't happen with Ruth.

FAIL.

The wonders of the internet strike again.

In the early days of baseball, when rosters were much more limited, there were courtesy runners in addition to pinch runners. A courtesy runner was put in when the normal runner was temporarily incapacitated by an injury. A courtesy runner had to be agreed by the opposite manager, and his presence in the game was not considered as an official substitution. He could therefore be used again once his running duty was completed, or could be a player already in the line-up, and the player for whom he ran would usually return to the game in the next half-inning. In contrast with pinch runners, courtesy runners tended to be slow base runners. The last courtesy runner in a Major League Game was used in 1949.
Pinch runner - BR Bullpen

Who fails?

oh shit......didn't see that, my apologies QW.

no fair using the net;)

Not a problem, your explanation actually confirmed my assumption.

He doesn't see any relevance because there is none.

Nobody whined to the courts to make Ruth run the bases.

martin took them to court 14 years ago and won, and you still haven't unbunched your boxers. :lol:

"Casey Martin Wins U.S. Open Qualifier" | Videos at The Register-Guard | The Register-Guard

:eusa_whistle:

Back in 2001, a disabled professional golfer named Casey Martin ran afoul of a USGA rule prohibiting him from riding in a golf cart while playing professionally in golf tournaments. USGA rules required that all professional golfers walk during rounds. Casey sued the USGA, contending that his disability required him to ride in a cart or give up professional golf. The case got all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, which ruled 7-2 that Casey was right.

Casey is playing in the U.S. Open at The Olympic Club this week. He is riding in his cart.

Oh, you know that 7-2 ruling by the U.S. Supremes? Care to guess who the two dissenting justices were? That's right - those two, well known, compassionate conservatives, Scalia and Thomas.

The Casey Martin Case: The Supreme Court Takes Up Golf - TIME

Why not allow people in wheelchairs to play professional football? How about baseball. The only reason you would champion this decision is that it is against a predominately white and asian sport.
The Supreme Court was wrong in that decision. Read about Ben Hogan's U.S. Open story......

Ben Hogan wins U.S. Open with courageous comeback — History.com This Day in History — 6/11/1950

You obviously don’t understand the meaning of the term ‘reasonable accommodation’ as codified by the ADA.

"Casey Martin Wins U.S. Open Qualifier" | Videos at The Register-Guard | The Register-Guard

I stand corrected....He finally, and but barely, qualified after all these years.

Meanwhile the case he "won" still didn't change the USGA rules, in the same way that Brown made guibmint schools open to all students who want to attend....All that happened was that they made a special carve-out for one, and only one, fucking whiner.

The victories don't come any more Pyrrhic.

Back in 2001, a disabled professional golfer named Casey Martin ran afoul of a USGA rule prohibiting him from riding in a golf cart while playing professionally in golf tournaments. USGA rules required that all professional golfers walk during rounds. Casey sued the USGA, contending that his disability required him to ride in a cart or give up professional golf. The case got all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, which ruled 7-2 that Casey was right.

Casey is playing in the U.S. Open at The Olympic Club this week. He is riding in his cart.

Oh, you know that 7-2 ruling by the U.S. Supremes? Care to guess who the two dissenting justices were? That's right - those two, well known, compassionate conservatives, Scalia and Thomas.

The Casey Martin Case: The Supreme Court Takes Up Golf - TIME

Why not allow people in wheelchairs to play professional football? How about baseball. The only reason you would champion this decision is that it is against a predominately white and asian sport.
The Supreme Court was wrong in that decision. Read about Ben Hogan's U.S. Open story......

Ben Hogan wins U.S. Open with courageous comeback — History.com This Day in History — 6/11/1950

You obviously don’t understand the meaning of the term ‘reasonable accommodation’ as codified by the ADA.

You obviously don't understand the concept of rules in sports.

I stand corrected....He finally, and but barely, qualified after all these years.

Meanwhile the case he "won" still didn't change the USGA rules, in the same way that Brown made guibmint schools open to all students who want to attend....All that happened was that they made a special carve-out for one, and only one, fucking whiner.

*gubmint*

:rofl:

put on your big girl skirt and move on, son, he won the qualifier.

I already conceded the point...Reading for comprehension is your friend.

Even so, how much time had elapsed since he "won" the case?...And he's only eligible to play in the US Open (USGA tournament), under a waiver that bumps out no other eligible player from the field, and can play no PGA events?

Some big fucking victory. :lol:

*gubmint*

.............And he missed the cut with +9 after 2 rounds while riding in his Pyrrhic chariot. :lol: He really has no business playing with the big boys if he can't walk. Sorry, there is no Affirmative Action in the PGA.

He fought a battle against the PGA and won. Whoopdy Doo! but he still is a piddling middler of a golfer -not a champion.

*gubmint*

.............And he missed the cut with +9 after 2 rounds while riding in his Pyrrhic chariot. :lol: He really has no business playing with the big boys if he can't walk. Sorry, there is no Affirmative Action in the PGA.

He fought a battle against the PGA and won. Whoopdy Doo! but he still is a piddling middler of a golfer -not a champion.
No, he sued the USGA, not the PGA....Two different governing bodies.

The only professional tournament he can play in is the US Open....And even then, he only gets the cart under special waiver...Nobody else can ever ride a buggy in a USGA tournament.

I already conceded the point...Reading for comprehension is your friend.

Even so, how much time had elapsed since he "won" the case?...And he's only eligible to play in the US Open (USGA tournament), under a waiver that bumps out no other eligible player from the field, and can play no PGA events?

Some big fucking victory. :lol:

it worked for him

He won the qualifier? Either you qualify or not, it's not something you win. Maybe he shot the lowest score for the 36 holes( the pathetic video never said what he supposedly "won") but I have never heard the term win in a qualifier.

*gubmint*

luke donald (world no. 1) +11

rory mcilroy(world #2, 2011 open champ) +10

bubba watson (2012 masters champ) +9

2012 U.S. Open -- Top-ranked players Luke Donald, Rory McIlroy miss cut - ESPN

*gubmint*

Yet, they managed to walk....:badgrin:

Yet, they managed to walk....:badgrin:

yet, they have two good legs.:lol:

you guys crack me up

You're right, they don't count, they were playing to win, guess what, they walked in all four rounds...

try to keep up old man, the subject has moved on to how golfers on the champions tour aren't really golfers.

I would qualify based on age and my game would belong on the senior tour, but I would still walk, Martin cried foul and he knows its about walking 72 holes, twist it how ever you want to...

There is a difference between a golfer who has trouble walking because he is getting old, and a golfer who has trouble walking because he is MISSING A FUCKING LEG! The latter is DISABLED; the former is not.

Forum List

Back