U.S. Supremes Tee It Up Against the USGA

try to keep up, skippy

now could you tell me some of the other big travesties of the past 50 years.

this doesn't even rise to the level of the dh

get a grip, corndog
The travesty is in its triviality.

The old del would've figured that out by now.

no, the travesty is in your triviality.

even a newborn del could see that. :lol:
Oh, so the Martin case was some huge monumental ruling?

In what way?

How was anyone served by the USGA giving Martin, and only him, special dispensation from their rules?...ANYONE?

All that folderol for one guy?...One guy who can't even qualify?

Yeah....Travesty of triviality is the right description.

Back in 2001, a disabled professional golfer named Casey Martin ran afoul of a USGA rule prohibiting him from riding in a golf cart while playing professionally in golf tournaments. USGA rules required that all professional golfers walk during rounds. Casey sued the USGA, contending that his disability required him to ride in a cart or give up professional golf. The case got all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, which ruled 7-2 that Casey was right.

Casey is playing in the U.S. Open at The Olympic Club this week. He is riding in his cart.

Oh, you know that 7-2 ruling by the U.S. Supremes? Care to guess who the two dissenting justices were? That's right - those two, well known, compassionate conservatives, Scalia and Thomas.

The Casey Martin Case: The Supreme Court Takes Up Golf - TIME

They had this weird idea that the government could not force an organization to change its rules simply because someone couldn't keep up without special consideration, imagine that.

Unlike baseball, football, or many other sports, walking or running is not part of the skills that create a good golf player. So why not allow people that have the ability to hit the ball far and accurately to ride a cart because their legs do not function that well? Sounds to me like assholes that just like to deny other people oppertunities denigrating their betters.

Why not allow women to play professional football? All we would have to do is change the rules so that there is less hitting. We could do the same thing in baseball, just have them move the pitcher's mound for the women.

Why not change the rules so kids can play?

Unlike baseball, football, or many other sports, walking or running is not part of the skills that create a good golf player. So why not allow people that have the ability to hit the ball far and accurately to ride a cart because their legs do not function that well? Sounds to me like assholes that just like to deny other people oppertunities denigrating their betters.

Why not allow women to play professional football? All we would have to do is change the rules so that there is less hitting. We could do the same thing in baseball, just have them move the pitcher's mound for the women.

Why not change the rules so kids can play?

I think the current administration has demanded the pitcher's mound be moved 30 feet closer so Obama and Miss America can reach the plate when they throws out the first pitch..... probably won't help him.:bad grin:

http://

If I'm not mistaken, toward the end of his career, Babe Ruth would hit a home run and half-jog to first base, where a teammate would circle the rest of the bases for him.

Not in the minors.
Not in an Old-Timer's game.

In the Major Leagues.

Stevie Wonder and Tiger Woods are in a restaurant having dinner.
Woods turns to Wonder and says, "How's the singing career going"?

Stevie Wonder replies, "Not too bad. How's your golf"?

Woods replies, "Not too bad, I've had some problems with my swing, but I think I've got that going right now."

Stevie says, "I always find that when my golf swing goes wrong, I need to stop playing for a while and not think about it. Then, the next time I play, it seems to be all right."

Tiger says, "You play golf"?

Wonder says, "Oh, yes, I've been playing for years."

Woods says, "But you're blind! How can you play golf if you can't see?

Wonder replies, "I get my caddy to stand in the middle of the fairway and call to me. I listen for the sound of his voice and play the ball toward him. Then, when I get to where the ball lands, the caddy moves to the green or farther down the fairway and again, I play the ball toward his voice"

But how do you putt"? asks Woods.

"Well," says Stevie, "I get my caddy to lean down in front of the hole and call to me with his head on the ground, and I just play the ball toward his voice."

Woods asks, "What's your handicap"?

Stevie says, "Well, I'm a scratch golfer."

Woods, incredulous, says, "We've got to play a round sometime."

Wonder replies, "Well, people don't take me seriously, so I only play for money, and never play for less than $10,000 a hole."

Woods thinks it over and says, "Okay, I'm all for that. When would you like to play"?

Stevie says, "Pick a night."

Former MLB major leaguers play in old-timer's sideshows too....It doesn't make them eligible to play in the World Series.

freddie finished tied for twelfth in the masters this year.

watson finished second in the open in '09.

i guess those don't count. :lol:
They have exemptions from qualifying, as past champions....And they still walked.

Even that fat tub of goo Craig Stadler managed to walk all of his tournaments.

ah yes, the ole 'walrus'...and john daly...;) DT's and all....

Back in 2001, a disabled professional golfer named Casey Martin ran afoul of a USGA rule prohibiting him from riding in a golf cart while playing professionally in golf tournaments. USGA rules required that all professional golfers walk during rounds. Casey sued the USGA, contending that his disability required him to ride in a cart or give up professional golf. The case got all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court, which ruled 7-2 that Casey was right.

Casey is playing in the U.S. Open at The Olympic Club this week. He is riding in his cart.

Oh, you know that 7-2 ruling by the U.S. Supremes? Care to guess who the two dissenting justices were? That's right - those two, well known, compassionate conservatives, Scalia and Thomas.

The Casey Martin Case: The Supreme Court Takes Up Golf - TIME

Compassion? Libs have skewed idea of compassion. I doubt if the Founding fathers envisioned a solemn group of legal geniuses deciding who rides in a golf cart. Now that Casey has an advantage over the other golfers I wonder if the supremes will consider making the holes the size of wash tubs so that everyone has an equal chance to make a hole in one.

If I'm not mistaken, toward the end of his career, Babe Ruth would hit a home run and half-jog to first base, where a teammate would circle the rest of the bases for him.

Not in the minors.

In the Major Leagues.

yes thats right. and?
You don't understand the relevance of my post to what Oddball and del are arguing about?

Not in the minors.

In the Major Leagues.

If I am not mistaken the rules in baseball allow pinch runners.

Last edited:

Not in the minors.

In the Major Leagues.

yes thats right. and?
You don't understand the relevance of my post to what Oddball and del are arguing about?
He doesn't see any relevance because there is none.

Nobody whined to the courts to make Ruth run the bases.

yes thats right. and?
He doesn't see any relevance because there is none.

Nobody whined to the courts to make Ruth run the bases.

the only one whining here is you, big fellah.

martin took them to court 14 years ago and won, and you still haven't unbunched your boxers. :lol:

have a nice day :thup:

try to keep up old man, the subject has moved on to how golfers on the champions tour aren't really golfers.

I would qualify based on age and my game would belong on the senior tour, but I would still walk, Martin cried foul and he knows its about walking 72 holes, twist it how ever you want to...

i'm sure that you'd just tear up the senior tour if you weren't so busy being a double naught spy.

I doubt I would qualify dumb dumb...

And stay out of Frank's bathroom window...

I would qualify based on age and my game would belong on the senior tour, but I would still walk, Martin cried foul and he knows its about walking 72 holes, twist it how ever you want to...

i'm sure that you'd just tear up the senior tour if you weren't so busy being a double naught spy.

I doubt I would qualify dumb dumb...

And stay out of Frank's bathroom window...

make up your mind, fuckwit :lol:

Not in the minors.

In the Major Leagues.

But once you use that PR, the person he runs for is out of the game.

That didn't happen with Ruth.

FAIL.

Not in the minors.

In the Major Leagues.

But once you use that PR, the person he runs for is out of the game.

That didn't happen with Ruth.

FAIL.

The wonders of the internet strike again.

In the early days of baseball, when rosters were much more limited, there were courtesy runners in addition to pinch runners. A courtesy runner was put in when the normal runner was temporarily incapacitated by an injury. A courtesy runner had to be agreed by the opposite manager, and his presence in the game was not considered as an official substitution. He could therefore be used again once his running duty was completed, or could be a player already in the line-up, and the player for whom he ran would usually return to the game in the next half-inning. In contrast with pinch runners, courtesy runners tended to be slow base runners. The last courtesy runner in a Major League Game was used in 1949.

Pinch runner - BR Bullpen

Who fails?

Forum List

Back