Does Roe Vs Wade?

RetiredGySgt

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
North Carolina
Does Roe Vs Wade mean that States can not set appropriate times for when elective abortion is no longer allowed?

As a further question is 20 weeks an acceptable time limit for elective abortions?

Does Roe Vs Wade mean that States can not set appropriate times for when elective abortion is no longer allowed?

As a further question is 20 weeks an acceptable time limit for elective abortions?

it means the states could set longer periods... but not shorter because the states cannot extend lesser rights than the federal law guarantees.

it means the states could set longer periods... but not shorter because the states cannot extend lesser rights than the federal law guarantees.

Did the Supreme Court set a date? And is 20 weeks within that time frame?

that was much clearer after roe itself than it is since later decisions which modified it.

the answer is ... maybe.

that was much clearer after roe itself than it is since later decisions which modified it.

the answer is ... maybe.

Cite the Federal Statue that establishes the end date for when Abortion is no longer voluntary.

As a further question do you as a woman believe that 20 weeks is to soon to say abortion should not be voluntary?

( we are NOT discussing medical needs or threats to the mother)

Roe is no longer the legal standard, the relevant case law now is Planned Parenthood v. Casey (1992), where the Court abandoned the ‘time-limit’ standard and replaced it with the doctrine of ‘undue burden.’

The Casey Court upheld and reaffirmed the Constitutional right to privacy, allowing states to establish their own ‘time limits,’ provided the restrictions do not violate privacy rights. But the states always go too far, as in this case. We saw the same thing this year when the Oklahoma Supreme Court invalidated that state’s ‘personhood’ law on undue burden grounds.

Roe is no longer the legal standard, the relevant case law now is Planned Parenthood v. Casey (1992), where the Court abandoned the ‘time-limit’ standard and replaced it with the doctrine of ‘undue burden.’

The Casey Court upheld and reaffirmed the Constitutional right to privacy, allowing states to establish their own ‘time limits,’ provided the restrictions do not violate privacy rights. But the states always go too far, as in this case. We saw the same thing this year when the Oklahoma Supreme Court invalidated that state’s ‘personhood’ law on undue burden grounds.

Ok answer the question, is 20 weeks an UNDUE burden? If so exactly when is it ok for a State to say one can not CHOSE to abort?

the answer is ... maybe.

Cite the Federal Statue that establishes the end date for when Abortion is no longer voluntary.

As a further question do you as a woman believe that 20 weeks is to soon to say abortion should not be voluntary?

i don't understand the first part of your question. why do you think a federal statute is required when we're talking about a constitutional right?

when you say voluntary, do you mean permissive?

my opinion isn't really relevant. what is relevant is the question asked in roe... which is when does the governmental interest in protecting a potential life outweigh the interest of a woman in being able to exercise dominion over her own body.

what i do know... is i don't want a bunch of uber religious old men telling women what they can and can't do with their bodies...

like what happened today in michigan.

and the u.s. house of representatives...

and virginia...

and

and

and

the answer is ... maybe.

i don't understand the first part of your question. why do you think a federal statute is required when we're talking about a constitutional right?

my opinion isn't really relevant. what is relevant is the question asked in roe... which is when does the governmental interest in protecting a potential life outweigh the interest of a woman in being able to exercise dominion over her own body.

what i do know... is i don't want a bunch of uber religious old men telling women what they can and can't do with their bodies...

and virginia...

and

and

and

So you are on RECORD for saying 20 weeks is acceptable for a woman CHOOSING to have an abortion.

You are on record as saying any time limit established by any State saying at THIS date one can not voluntarily chose to abort is a violation of privacy?

Is that correct. And if not when is a REASONABLE date?

the answer is ... maybe.

and virginia...

and

and

and

Exactly. It is NONE of their business.

None.

and virginia...

and

and

and

None.

So you are on record as saying NO STATE has a compelling interest to EVER establish a date for when Abortion is no longer a choice.

and virginia...

and

and

and

None.
If that is none of their business, then women shouldn't have any say in combat operations?

As I said before, I am pro-Choice, but I don't believe in disallowing men any say in the debate.

Because, that would open up way too much of a door for disallowing women any part in other debates.

Equal rights are equal.

Ok answer the question, is 20 weeks an UNDUE burden? If so exactly when is it ok for a State to say one can not CHOSE to abort?

The issue isn’t the time limit, the issue is the many obstacles, hurtles, and like demeaning, invasive requirements a woman must negotiate and endure which constitutes an undue burden and a violation of privacy rights.

For example, with regard to the Michigan legislation you’re referring to:

Specifically, the omnibus bill would criminalize all abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy, without exceptions for rape victims, the health of the woman or in cases where there is a severe fetal anomaly. It would require health centers that provide abortions to have surgery rooms, even when they don't provide surgical abortions. It would require doctors to be present for medication abortions and to screen women for "coercion" before providing an abortion, and it would create new regulations for the disposal of fetal remains.

The bill would also ban "telemedicine" abortions, or the use of technology to prescribe medication for abortion services and the morning-after pill.

The bolded items likely constitute an undue burden, which would result in the law being un-Constitutional.

If a woman could access an abortion prior to 20 weeks, unmolested and not harassed by the state, the time-limit may pass Constitutional muster, as the only question remaining being is 20 weeks a reasonable amount of time.

The issue isn’t the time limit, the issue is the many obstacles, hurtles, and like demeaning, invasive requirements a woman must negotiate and endure which constitutes an undue burden and a violation of privacy rights.

Specifically, the omnibus bill would criminalize all abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy, without exceptions for rape victims, the health of the woman or in cases where there is a severe fetal anomaly. It would require health centers that provide abortions to have surgery rooms, even when they don't provide surgical abortions. It would require doctors to be present for medication abortions and to screen women for "coercion" before providing an abortion, and it would create new regulations for the disposal of fetal remains.

The bill would also ban "telemedicine" abortions, or the use of technology to prescribe medication for abortion services and the morning-after pill.

The bolded items likely constitute an undue burden, which would result in the law being un-Constitutional.

If a woman could access an abortion prior to 20 weeks, unmolested and not harassed by the state, the time-limit may pass Constitutional muster, as the only question remaining being is 20 weeks a reasonable amount of time.
Well, then I guess the woman should make a decision to abort BEFORE 20 weeks.

Oh, the burden! :rolleyes:

and virginia...

and

and

and

None.
If that is none of their business, then women shouldn't have any say in combat operations?

As I said before, I am pro-Choice, but I don't believe in disallowing men any say in the debate.

Because, that would open up way too much of a door for disallowing women any part in other debates.

Equal rights are equal.

There shouldn't be any debate, in my opinion. The law is the law.

What is happening is that they are making every effort to circumnavigate (?) said law.

I wouldn't care if everybody in the chambers were female. It is nobody else's business what a woman chooses to do with her reproductive rights.

Much of what he bolded has nothing to do with 20 weeks, and everything to do with making it as difficult as possible for an abortion to happen. Ever.

and virginia...

and

and

and

None.

So you are on record as saying NO STATE has a compelling interest to EVER establish a date for when Abortion is no longer a choice.

That’s the problem, conservative lawmakers aren’t satisfied with enacting a reasonable time limit; instead they seek to ‘junk up’ legislation with irrelevant nonsense in violation of the Constitutional right to privacy in an effort to realize a de facto ban on abortion.

None.

Equal rights are equal.

There shouldn't be any debate, in my opinion. The law is the law.

What is happening is that they are making every effort to circumnavigate (?) said law.

I wouldn't care if everybody in the chambers were female. It is nobody else's business what a woman chooses to do with her reproductive rights.
The law is definitely the law.

And, any state who wants to place a legal limit on the time period in which a woman can have an elective abortion can do so (within limits), according to the law.

We know this because it is legal to get an abortion (at least within the first trimester) in ALL states, and has been that way since Roe.

None.

That’s the problem, conservative lawmakers aren’t satisfied with enacting a reasonable time limit; instead they seek to ‘junk up’ legislation with irrelevant nonsense in violation of the Constitutional right to privacy in an effort to realize a de facto ban on abortion.

I think we said the exact same thing, but you were speaking legalese. ;)

Much of what he bolded has nothing to do with 20 weeks, and everything to do with making it as difficult as possible for an abortion to happen. Ever.
You should read the bill.

This bill pertains to abortions AFTER 20 weeks.

Frankly, I think the only thing the bill needed to say was NO abortions after 20 weeks except in the event that the mother's life is in danger.

Forum List

Back