U.S. sends troops to Niger for drone missions

High_Gravity

Belligerent Drunk
Nov 19, 2010
Richmond VA

WASHINGTON — About 100 U.S. troops have deployed to the West African country of Niger to help establish a drone base for surveillance missions, in the latest step by the United States to aid French forces battling Islamic militants in neighboring Mali.

In a letter to Congress on Friday, President Obama said the deployment would "provide support for intelligence collection and will also facilitate intelligence sharing with French forces conducting operations in Mali, and with other partners in the region."

The last 40 American troops in the deployment arrived in Niger on Feb. 20 with the consent of the government, Obama said.

A senior U.S. officer described the troops as a security unit that will protect crews flying and maintaining U.S. Air Force drones now operating from an airfield near the capital, Niamey. The force includes drone pilots, intelligence liaison officers and aircraft maintenance personnel, the officer said.

"We're basing drones there to help the French, and this deployment is the security element," the officer said.

He spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss details of the operation publicly.

French forces have been battling to push Islamic militants out of northern Mali in recent weeks in an effort to oust insurgents who seized local control after the civilian government collapsed last year.

U.S. sends troops to Niger for drone missions - latimes.com

Good. Now lets start taking out AQIM and Boko Haram.
Yes, I applaud this! More Military "Kinetic Actions" overseas will speed the USBankruptcy.

I don't get why we keep getting ourselves involved in other people's problems. These people being framed as Islamists are actually government rebels. Who here knows the military of Mali overthrew the president? That's when the rebels came about. Also the Tuareg rebels. And now this endless cycle of war which will only inflame the region if we get involved and history will repeat itself.

Good. Now lets start taking out AQIM and Boko Haram.
Yes, I applaud this! More Military "Kinetic Actions" overseas will speed the USBankruptcy.

I don't get why we keep getting ourselves involved in other people's problems. These people being framed as Islamists are actually government rebels. Who here knows the military of Mali overthrew the president? That's when the rebels came about. Also the Tuareg rebels. And now this endless cycle of war which will only inflame the region if we get involved and history will repeat itself.
Mali basically has two resources:

1. Salt
2. Gold

You think the Frogs are there for the Salt?

You know that US "Troops" (Military or CIA) are in Mali?

You think Germany repatriating it's Gold from France and Germany has anything to do with it?

Naw! Gold is just another Commodity. Toro will tell you that, if he ever comes back here.

Surveillance? Who actually believes that?

I do. If Hellfires start falling out of the sky there is going to be little doubt where they came from and before that happens the fact will be 'leaked' just so know one can realistically say they didn't know. This is phase one. There may or may not be a phase two. The French are doing the ground work anyway. Helping is in our nation's best interest although that concept might be over some's head. Terrorist need an HQ and if they are allowed to create one they will. World peace is an obtainable goal but we are not going to get there curled up in a ball sucking our thumb hoping someone else will make the bad people go away.

1. Salt
2. Gold

You think Germany repatriating it's Gold from France and Germany has anything to do with it?

Naw! Gold is just another Commodity. Toro will tell you that, if he ever comes back here.

I know it's gold, but with Americans the only thing popular to convince them is to tell them we shouldn't be involved...that's the only way anyone here will object to that. But I know the truth is about resources.

I do. If Hellfires start falling out of the sky there is going to be little doubt where they came from and before that happens the fact will be 'leaked' just so know one can realistically say they didn't know. This is phase one. There may or may not be a phase two. The French are doing the ground work anyway. Helping is in our nation's best interest although that concept might be over some's head. Terrorist need an HQ and if they are allowed to create one they will. World peace is an obtainable goal but we are not going to get there curled up in a ball sucking our thumb hoping someone else will make the bad people go away.

Why are you calling them terrorists? They are rebels against the Mali military which overthrew the President.

1. Salt
2. Gold

Despite what the cynical people say the U.S. does a lot of good in this world for no other reason than trying to make the world a better place. That is what is called, "In our best interest".

Why are you calling them terrorists? They are rebels against the Mali military which overthrew the President.

I call them terrorists because they will not operate only in Mali but actively work to harm other countries in the region. They will also terrorize their own people. And if they get a chance to kill a few Americans in the name of their angry God they most certainly will. That is why I call them 'terrorists'. They are not the girl scouts if that is what you are thinking.

I call them terrorists because they will not operate only in Mali but actively work to harm other countries in the region. They will also terrorize their own people. And if they get a chance to kill a few Americans in the name of their angry God they most certainly will. That is why I call them 'terrorists'. They are not the girl scouts if that is what you are thinking.

Are you describing the invading forces?

Last edited:
America must help the Mali people remain free to live under their current French puppet dictator.

And has nothing to do Mali being the 3rd largest gold producer in Africa.

Or that the country sets on top of 1 billion tons of bauxite. (basic element of aluminum)........ :cool:

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos

WASHINGTON — About 100 U.S. troops have deployed to the West African country of Niger to help establish a drone base for surveillance missions, in the latest step by the United States to aid French forces battling Islamic militants in neighboring Mali.

In a letter to Congress on Friday, President Obama said the deployment would "provide support for intelligence collection and will also facilitate intelligence sharing with French forces conducting operations in Mali, and with other partners in the region."

The last 40 American troops in the deployment arrived in Niger on Feb. 20 with the consent of the government, Obama said.

A senior U.S. officer described the troops as a security unit that will protect crews flying and maintaining U.S. Air Force drones now operating from an airfield near the capital, Niamey. The force includes drone pilots, intelligence liaison officers and aircraft maintenance personnel, the officer said.

"We're basing drones there to help the French, and this deployment is the security element," the officer said.

He spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss details of the operation publicly.

French forces have been battling to push Islamic militants out of northern Mali in recent weeks in an effort to oust insurgents who seized local control after the civilian government collapsed last year.

U.S. sends troops to Niger for drone missions - latimes.com

Why do foreign countries allow American troops, military equipment and even the CIA to operate on their turf? Can it be that much of the world wants and needs our involvement and trusts us to do the right (not perfect) thing?

Last edited:

Dude, they are sons of the Mali people. They aren't operating anything, they're trying to get the corrupt military out of their towns and the military comes back to kill them and they have no other choice to drive them out. No they don't terrorize their people, their people like them, you're just looking at government sponsored media to support the attacks. It has nothing to do with religion, it's all about fighting criminals.

Are you describing the invading forces?

I am describing the population for whom the drones are there for.

From the OP:

Predator drones are already flying over Mali to assist French troops, who intervened in January and have driven back militants and Tuareg rebels, who had taken over three major cities and were threatening Mali's capital, Bamako.

The drones flying from Niger will be unarmed surveillance aircraft tracking suspected militants operating in the remote parts of northern Mali. The aircraft could also be used over other countries in the region, the officer said.

Why do foreign countries allow American troops, military equipment and even the CIA to operate on their turf? Can it be that much of the world wants and needs our involvement and trusts us to do the right (not perfect) thing?

Foreign governments welcome outside forces that help them crack down on dissent.

Forum List

Back