U.S. Senate votes 52-47 vote to restore Net Neutrality

More nanny state telling companies how to run their companies.

Is there anyone in the country that does not favor giant government?

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

• Banned
"All I know is it’s Obama-era regulation. That’s enough for me to say it should be repealed." - President Trump

Explain exactly what the Net Neutrality rules mean to you.

It is very simple, the Govt controls how ISPs charge people to use their services and how they categorize the data flowing through them.

Amazing how for over 20 years the Internet has flourished into its current state mostly on its own, but suddenly now we somehow need government to step in with "Net Neutrality."

It is very simple, the Govt controls how ISPs charge people to use their services and how they categorize the data flowing through them.

Amazing how for over 20 years the Internet has flourished into its current state mostly on its own, but suddenly now we somehow need government to step in with "Net Neutrality."

ISPs are at best a oligopoly in some instances a monopoly. That was not true earlier in the decade. Government always regulates when that happens. Also you have ISPs now owning content which gives them incentives to slow down certain traffic. That is why we need net neutrality.

ISPs are at best a oligopoly in some instances a monopoly. That was not true earlier in the decade. Government always regulates when that happens. Also you have ISPs now owning content which gives them incentives to slow down certain traffic. That is why we need net neutrality.

Why should a company not be allowed to give preferential treatment to their own products?

Net Neutrality is the principle that Internet service providers should enable access to all content and applications regardless of the source, and without favoring or blocking particular products or websites. That's it. It's basically one rule and it was there to protect the consumer. The only thing IMO opinion the previous idiot in chief did right.

The telecom industry is practically monopolistic at this point, filled with rampant greed and corruption. This simple rule keeps them honest, as I predicted years ago. Comcast, the 'most hated company in the U.S.', promised to play fair up and until the day the FCC announced its repeal. Then, Comcast immediately reneged on said promise. Why? Because fuck the consumer, that's why.

I hope you don't expect me to side with an industry that was given billions in tax breaks in the 90s to replace a 100-year old copper line system with fiber only to sink that money into wireless and cable instead. I don't want to be punished with higher fees for expecting the 100mbps I was promised through my ISP's contract, do you? I don't purchase cable TV because I believe it's an ad-riddled inferior product to what is available elsewhere online. Without neutrality, they can and will make consumer pay more for requesting an internet only package (as I predicted) because most big telecoms own both services. I hate the idea that the appointed gatekeepers (FCC) of the regulation are ex-telecom lobbyists themselves. This is a bunch of foxes guarding the hen house. Repealing this rule goes against the idea of an open internet. Repealing this rule can stifle exchanges of ideas and innovation. Repealing this rule gives these mega conglomerates an even bigger pay-to-play straw to suck more money from consumer pockets.

I have a problem with consumers being screwed over for a service that's slower than 27 other countries. Want to impress me? Fix that. The Orange Virus had made this issue political because... Obama reasons.

*shrug* The internet is a constantly evolving thing. Perhaps a safeguard (1 rule) is required to keep it open and equal to allow for innovation and the free exchange of ideas. Allowing providers free reign to disrupt this for a pay-to-play environment stifles this. Without neutrality, the internet will get much, much worse.

*shrug* The internet is a constantly evolving thing. Perhaps a safeguard (1 rule) is required to keep it open and equal to allow for innovation and the free exchange of ideas. Allowing providers free reign to disrupt this for a pay-to-play environment stifles this. Without neutrality, the internet will get much, much worse.

It's open and equal to the bandwidth you can afford.

Forum List

Back