U.S. Privately Moves To Block Geneva Conventions Inquiry Into Gaza

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
The Biden administration is finalizing plans to urge Switzerland to reject a request from Palestine and its supporters to hold a conference on violations of the Geneva Conventions.

As bloodshed continues in Gaza, State Department officials are quietly working to stymie an attempt to spur global pressure to end the fighting there.

U.S. diplomats are finalizing a démarche ― a diplomatic initiative ― to their Swiss counterparts that Washington hopes will scuttle plans for a meeting to discuss violations of the Geneva Conventions in the current war between Israel and Hamas, the Gaza-based militant group, according to State Department documents seen by HuffPost.

The revelation comes as the U.S. is simultaneously slow-rolling the most high-profile international attempt to ease suffering in Gaza: a United Nations Security Council resolution that would drastically increase the flow of humanitarian aid into the besieged strip.

The Geneva Conventions are the fundamental principles of international humanitarian law which determine what actions are legal during a war. Every U.N. member state is party to some aspect of them, including the U.S. and Israel. Formal determinations that Israel has violated the conventions in its U.S.-backed offensive in Gaza against Hamas would represent a serious global condemnation of both countries ― and corroborate the claims of human rights groups who have gathered evidence they call proof of such violations.

Historically neutral Switzerland is the depository of the conventions, which means it determines when meetings of the parties involved are held to discuss compliance.

Much more at the link below...

My first reaction is to say shame on Biden! However, maybe there's much I don't know. What do you think?

^^^^^^^^
It's about time; the time for a cease-fire was October 6, 2023. Hamas is responsible for the suffering.

Hamas is only partially responsible for the suffering. Nutanyahoo was warned over a year ago - but ignored it. As I recall - it was a 40-page warning. Ignoring it gave Nutanyahoo the excuse he wanted to eradicate the Palestinians in Gaza.

White phosphors, cluster bombs, depleted uranium , I bet the US wouldn't like to open this can of worms, and now they are flooding the tunnels which probably will contaminate the water cisterns too. Nothing good happens when you start wars, and the first casualty is the truth. Always.

Hamas is only partially responsible for the suffering. Nutanyahoo was warned over a year ago - but ignored it. As I recall - it was a 40-page warning. Ignoring it gave Nutanyahoo the excuse he wanted to eradicate the Palestinians in Gaza.
It was Netanyahu's job to prevent Hamas from doing what it knew was wrong?

White phosphors, cluster bombs, depleted uranium , I bet the US wouldn't like to open this can of worms, and now they are flooding the tunnels which probably will contaminate the water cisterns too. Nothing good happens when you start wars, and the first casualty is the truth. Always.
The tunnels hide activity that is lethal, and their placement under hospitals is a war crime.

^^^^^^^^
It's about time; the time for a cease-fire was October 6, 2023. Hamas is responsible for the suffering.
ok. that being true, 3 months of apocalyptic retribution is enough. cease fire already. let the un and the red cross or red crescent do their job.

there has been a real need for un peace keepers for decades. guess who vetoes that?

Israeli officials repeatedly dismissed warning signs before Hamas attack, report claims​

For months, there has been a question lurking about how Israel’s intelligence services failed to recognize the plans Hamas was making for its attack on October 7. But according to a New York Times report, Israeli intelligence obtained a 40-page document detailing the plan a year before it happened. William Brangham discussed the report with Adam Goldman, one of the journalists who broke the story.

You know, this is like those pictures from LA where all the people have their car doors open, because if they close them, then robbers smash their window, and rob their cars.
“It’s partially your fault! You should have known robbers would rob you, and left all your doors and windows open so they can rummage through your belongings without breaking a window! It’s partially your fault!”

We need to stop this blame the victim constantly, and start just saying, you are at fault. You attacked your neighbors and killed them, and it doesn’t matter what the other side did or didn’t do in relation to what warning they did or didn’t get.

You still did it. You caused it. It’s your fault period.

Nope

ok. that being true, 3 months of apocalyptic retribution is enough. cease fire already. let the un and the red cross or red crescent do their job.

there has been a real need for un peace keepers for decades. guess who vetoes that?

Isreal is the "peace keepers".

A ceasefire would prevent the definitive, final destruction of Hamas, a goal both the U.S. and Israel share. It would allow the Islamist terrorist group to rebuild. As precedent has shown, a ceasefire will lead to ongoing fighting, since Israel will be forced to continue repelling Hamas’s assaults. Indeed, Hamas has promised more attacks resembling the atrocities of October 7th as soon as it is able.

It's much ado about nothing. The U.S. has done nothing and probably will do nothing to block a lame request by Palestine to forgive their invasion and rape and murder of Israeli citizens and blame the Jews. That's a liberal anti-Semite democrat party fantasy.

The Biden administration is finalizing plans to urge Switzerland to reject a request from Palestine and its supporters to hold a conference on violations of the Geneva Conventions.

As bloodshed continues in Gaza, State Department officials are quietly working to stymie an attempt to spur global pressure to end the fighting there.

U.S. diplomats are finalizing a démarche ― a diplomatic initiative ― to their Swiss counterparts that Washington hopes will scuttle plans for a meeting to discuss violations of the Geneva Conventions in the current war between Israel and Hamas, the Gaza-based militant group, according to State Department documents seen by HuffPost.

The revelation comes as the U.S. is simultaneously slow-rolling the most high-profile international attempt to ease suffering in Gaza: a United Nations Security Council resolution that would drastically increase the flow of humanitarian aid into the besieged strip.

The Geneva Conventions are the fundamental principles of international humanitarian law which determine what actions are legal during a war. Every U.N. member state is party to some aspect of them, including the U.S. and Israel. Formal determinations that Israel has violated the conventions in its U.S.-backed offensive in Gaza against Hamas would represent a serious global condemnation of both countries ― and corroborate the claims of human rights groups who have gathered evidence they call proof of such violations.

Historically neutral Switzerland is the depository of the conventions, which means it determines when meetings of the parties involved are held to discuss compliance.

Much more at the link below...

My first reaction is to say shame on Biden! However, maybe there's much I don't know. What do you think?
Clearly there is much you don't know.

That is a blanket statement covering all topics ... please do not make the error of confining my meaning solely to this thread.

Forum List

Back