U.S. Navy's first Black female fighter pilot will receive her wings

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
So impressed and proud of this young lady

"By Chevaz Clarke​
Updated on: July 29, 2020 / 7:24 PM / CBS News

Lieutenant Madeline Swegle, who made history as the U.S. Navy's first Black female tactical fighter pilot, will receive her Wings of Gold on Friday. "I am really honored that I get to wear the wings and get to fly planes and call myself a pilot," said Swegle in a video released by the Navy ahead of her July 31 ceremony.​
The Virginia native celebrated her historic achievement earlier this month after she completed her training at the U.S. Naval Academy.​
"I don't think the goal in my life is to necessarily be the first at anything. That was never something that I set out to do, it was just something I was interested in and I found out later," she said.​
Swegle said she had aspirations of becoming a pilot since her parents would take her to see the Blue Angels."​

Story continued here:

High Flight

"Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth,
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth of sun-split clouds -
and done a hundred things You have not dreamed of -
wheeled and soared and swung high in the sunlit silence.
Hovering there I've chased the shouting wind along
and flung my eager craft through footless halls of air.
"Up, up the long delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace,
where never lark, or even eagle, flew;
and, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
the high untrespassed sanctity of space,
put out my hand and touched the face of God."

- John Gillespie Magee, Jr.
High Flight - John Gillespie Magee, Jr.

"By Chevaz Clarke​

Lieutenant Madeline Swegle, who made history as the U.S. Navy's first Black female tactical fighter pilot, will receive her Wings of Gold on Friday. "I am really honored that I get to wear the wings and get to fly planes and call myself a pilot," said Swegle in a video released by the Navy ahead of her July 31 ceremony.​
The Virginia native celebrated her historic achievement earlier this month after she completed her training at the U.S. Naval Academy.​
"I don't think the goal in my life is to necessarily be the first at anything. That was never something that I set out to do, it was just something I was interested in and I found out later," she said.​
Swegle said she had aspirations of becoming a pilot since her parents would take her to see the Blue Angels."​

Story continued here:

Impressive!

Did she meet the same standards as a male pilot, or did they lower the standards?

"By Chevaz Clarke​

Story continued here:
Good for her.

"By Chevaz Clarke​

Story continued here:
Good for her.

Ditto.

A very important comment made by the JG:

"Be encouraged and know that they have all the tools that they need and follow their dreams."

The tool are there. They are proven.

So let's not here any bitching in the future about someone not being given the same shot as someone else...

Did she meet the same standards as a male pilot, or did they lower the standards?

Well, that will take care of itself.

If you are familiar with Kara Hultgreen, you'll know it was claimed she was rushed through the school and the instructors were told to graduate her.

She died when her F-14 stalled on approach to an aircraft carrier. The engine type was known to stall. Her RIO ejected but the delay in ejection of her seat was enough so that by the time it did go off (0.4 seconds later) the plane has rolled below the horizontal. She was ejected into the water and found still strapped to her seat.

Controversy over the initial investigation and claims the Navy covered it up.

We'll never really know.

Let's hope this young woman is above that and has a successful career doing something I could never even think of doing.

Can you do what she does?
That's a stupid way to answer the question, because it's not relevant what I can personally do.

I will tell you the answer to my question.

I was in the Air Force, so I know for a fact that women are not held to the same standards as men.

1596115695546.png

That's a stupid way to answer the question, because it's not relevant what I can personally do.

I was in the Air Force, so I know for a fact that women are not held to the same standards as men.

That's probably true in the Air Force.

For Naval aviators, the only difference in qualifications is that a male must be at least 5'2" tall while a female must be at least 4'10" tall. The maximum for each is 6'6".

Seeing Swegle standing next to a trainer aircraft (the white and orange one she's often seen standing with) she looks to be about 5'9" or 5'10", so her height is not an issue. And, for the record, no exceptions are made for the height requirements.

As a side note, the day that Swegle qualified for her wings, a woman became the first female to graduate from the US Army Special Forces Qualification Course to become a US Army Green Beret...

Last edited:

Careful, your white envy/rage is showing.

Careful, your white envy/rage is showing.
It's irritating to see someone making the same pay you are, who simply can't physically do the job you're both being paid to do.

That's why we have standards in the military.

Not sure how much that applies to pilots, but it's definitely an issue in a lot of MOSs.

"By Chevaz Clarke​

Story continued here:
What?! Only one black woman has actually made it through pilot school?! Why would you want people to know about this dismal record? That is super embarrassing.

Forum List

Back