U.S., Iraq planning 20,000 soldier spring offensive to retake Mosul from ISIS

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Hopefully this will make a big dent in the ISIS machine. Maybe when so many who joined up see so many of their comrades lying dead or terribly wounded, they will have a big change of heart.

U.S., Iraq planning 20,000 soldier spring offensive to retake Mosul from ISIS
BLOOMBERG NEWS 02.19.2015

WASHINGTON — The U.S. and Iraq are planning a spring offensive to retake the city of Mosul that will require 20,000 to 25,000 Iraqi troops to defeat 1,000 to 2,000 Islamic State of Iraq & Al-Sham fighters.

The main attack force of five Iraqi army brigades will need to be trained first by U.S. advisors, an official at U.S. Central Command, told a briefing Thursday to discuss military operations.

The U.S. has not ruled out delaying the offensive from its planned start in April or May if more time is needed for training.

While the spring timing had been previously discussed, new details were offered on the size of the force required to recapture Iraq’s second-largest city from ISIS, which sei

Continue reading at:
U.S. Iraq planning 20 000 soldier spring offensive to retake Mosul from ISIS?

Spring? and we've been training them for years. Obama let Iraq fall into what it is today. Most likley someone else will have to clean up his mess

Spring? and we've been training them for years. Obama let Iraq fall into what it is today. Most likley someone else will have to clean up his mess
There will be a number of US 'Special Advisors' on the ground as well.

Bush let Iraq fall into what it is today by invading it in the first place.

Get the B-52's out of mothballs.

What I don't understand, Tom, is that we have satellites and drones. Why aren't the satellites being used to pinpoint these groups and then the servicemen handling these drones here in the U.S. just direct drones at them to kill them. I thought a perfect shot for a drone would have been the other day when there were captured Kurds being paraded. Why didn't the drones get the ISIS guys who were right behind the Kurds. Didn't drones get people even in speeding cars?

Bush let Iraq fall into what it is today by invading it in the first place.

Wrong..... Obama pulled out and ignored the threat before it became what it is today. He still cant define it. Hes a weak, pathetic, poor excuse, for a leader

Both of you are wrong...this is Bush and Cheney's grand design. The destabilization of the ME is genius. They are killing each other and soon, ME countries will have to make a decision as to what side they are on. Genius. I love it. Obama, the fool he is, unwittingly has helped this plan if he wasn't already privy to it.

Both of you are wrong...this is Bush and Cheney's grand design. The destabilization of the ME is genius. They are killing each other and soon, ME countries will have to make a decision as to what side they are on. Genius. I love it. Obama, the fool he is, unwittingly has helped this plan if he wasn't already privy to it.

Yeah that's it!!:uhoh3:

I am serious...did you think the American people would have allowed troops to remain in Iraq indefinately. They had to come up with a short term plan to have the longest possible effect that is beneficial to the States, UAE and Saudi Arabia. Turmoil in the Middle East was the answer.

I am serious...did you think the American people would have allowed troops to remain in Iraq indefinately. They had to come up with a short term plan to have the longest possible effect that is beneficial to the States, UAE and Saudi Arabia. Turmoil in the Middle East was the answer.

The American people don't make foreign policy... We should have had a military base there. Obama dropped the ball. He didn't want it. He wanted to fulfill his campaign promise. He's a pathetic little man really

The American people don't make foreign policy... We should have had a military base there. Obama dropped the ball. He didn't want it. He wanted to fulfill his campaign promise. He's a pathetic little man really
So how many decades of occupation and how many dead America soldiers would've been enough to quench your thirst?

So how many decades of occupation and how many dead America soldiers would've been enough to quench your thirst?

A military base in a country is not occupation genius:wtf:

The size of the base you're talking about needed to keep out invaders and keep the locals from rising up sure as hell would count as an occupation.

Or were you just joking?

The size of the base you're talking about needed to keep out invaders and keep the locals from rising up sure as hell would count as an occupation.

Or were you just joking?
We have bases all over the world... are we occupiers?

Sorry, we were never going to have a military base of any signficance there. We had to leave as well...doesn't matter who was President. Staying would have put the focus on Americans. Leaving set up muslims killing muslims. Turmoil in the ME was the goal.

Or were you just joking?
When you presence causes turmoil - domestically and internationally - then yes, we are occupiers.

Don't get me wrong...I am a HUGE Bush fan. I just know the truth...while everyone else plays knee jerk with the headline of the day. Chess..not checkers.

Or were you just joking?
Answer the question. What would it have taken to maintain a base in Iraq?

And BTW, yes, the American people do make foreign policy. It is called elections. Why the hell do you think Obama got elected....the majority of Americans wanted to withdraw from Iraq. Not saying I agree...but Bush KNEW we were going to withdraw before we even went in....all planned...GENIUS. Turmoil in the ME, muslims killing muslims and ME nations choosing sides. WIN-WIN!

Forum List

Back