Two Professors Found What Creates a Mass Shooter. Will Politicians Pay Attention?

From the article;

"Densley: Too often in politics it becomes an either-or proposition. Gun control or mental health. Our research says that none of these solutions is perfect on its own. We have to do multiple things at one time and put them together as a comprehensive package. People have to be comfortable with complexity and that’s not always easy.

Peterson: Post-Columbine there’s been this real focus on hardening schools — metal detectors, armed officers, teaching our kids to run and hide. The shift I’m starting to see, at least here in Minnesota, is that people are realizing hardening doesn’t work. Over 90 percent of the time, school shooters target their own school. These are insiders, not outsiders. We just had a bill in Minnesota that recognized public safety as training people in suicide prevention and funding counselors. I hope we keep moving in that direction.

Densley: In Uvalde, there was an army of good guys with guns in the parking lot. The hard approach doesn’t seem to be getting the job done."

They need to repeal that damn law, that if you get a bunch of the kids killed in your community? You don't automatically get a brand new school built for you at the expense of the Federal Government and Federal Tax payers . . . THAT? Is a bullshit law that turns local responsibility and response times to garbage.

I am very time constrained right now and will be for the next 14 months or so, otherwise I'd be consuming and analyzing this data like crazy. I love real data but it needs to be put into a form that people can understand an see how everything fits together, sort of like the COVID rates in the U.S. dashboard/graph that John Hopkins produced at the beginning of the pandemic.

I hope these researchers reach the people they need to, they've already done the work, now someone just needs to act and to remember that mitigation is the goal even if we can't achieve immediately, a 100% reduction.

Each time a high-profile mass shooting happens in America, a grieving and incredulous nation scrambles for answers. Who was this criminal and how could he (usually) have committed such a horrendous and inhumane act? A few details emerge about the individual’s troubled life and then everyone moves on.
Three years ago, Jillian Peterson, an associate professor of criminology at Hamline University, and James Densley, a professor of criminal justice at Metro State University, decided to take a different approach. In their view, the failure to gain a more meaningful and evidence-based understanding of why mass shooters do what they do seemed a lost opportunity to stop the next one from happening. Funded by the National Institute of Justice, the research arm of the Department of Justice, their research constructed a database of every mass shooter since 1966 who shot and killed four or more people in a public place, and every shooting incident at schools, workplaces and places of worship since 1999.
Peterson and Densley also compiled detailed life histories on 180 shooters, speaking to their spouses, parents, siblings, childhood friends, work colleagues and teachers. As for the gunmen themselves, most don’t survive their carnage, but five who did talked to Peterson and Densely from prison, where they were serving life sentences. The researchers also found several people who planned a mass shooting but changed their mind.
Their findings, also published in the 2021 book, The Violence Project: How to Stop a Mass Shooting Epidemic, reveal striking commonalities among the perpetrators of mass shootings and suggest a data-backed, mental health-based approach could identify and address the next mass shooter before he pulls the trigger — if only politicians are willing to actually engage in finding and funding targeted solutions. POLITICO talked to Peterson and Densely from their offices in St. Paul, Minn., about how our national understanding about mass shooters has to evolve, why using terms like “monster” is counterproductive, and why political talking points about mental health need to be followed up with concrete action.
"...suggest a data-backed, mental health-based approach could identify and address the next mass shooter before he pulls the trigger — if only politicians are willing to actually engage in finding and funding targeted solutions."

Very much so; it is exactly THIS that Australia did as a supplement to "Gun Control". An interesting factoid; pre-1996(1970 onwards) but including the Port Arthur massacre, about 150 people died in mass killings; since then about 152died in the same time frame; fewer by guns but more by 'other means"; often incineration. The means might have changed but NOT the killing. See wiki Mass killings Australia.

Greg

Yes we could use a good mental health system and universal background checks and red flags...but no sacrifice is too great to save the greedy idiot GOP megarich from paying their fair share...

I’ve never heard anyone say a good guy with a gun is a deterrent. The good guy is a defense. You can’t deter someone who intends to die, and most, if not all, of these creeps plan on going out in a blaze of publicity.
Nonsense.

IF good men with guns are not a deterrent, why then are there good men with guns surrounding President Biden, Congress, all state legislators, banks, and so many more locations?

I am very time constrained right now and will be for the next 14 months or so, otherwise I'd be consuming and analyzing this data like crazy. I love real data but it needs to be put into a form that people can understand an see how everything fits together, sort of like the COVID rates in the U.S. dashboard/graph that John Hopkins produced at the beginning of the pandemic.

I hope these researchers reach the people they need to, they've already done the work, now someone just needs to act and to remember that mitigation is the goal even if we can't achieve immediately, a 100% reduction.

Each time a high-profile mass shooting happens in America, a grieving and incredulous nation scrambles for answers. Who was this criminal and how could he (usually) have committed such a horrendous and inhumane act? A few details emerge about the individual’s troubled life and then everyone moves on.
Three years ago, Jillian Peterson, an associate professor of criminology at Hamline University, and James Densley, a professor of criminal justice at Metro State University, decided to take a different approach. In their view, the failure to gain a more meaningful and evidence-based understanding of why mass shooters do what they do seemed a lost opportunity to stop the next one from happening. Funded by the National Institute of Justice, the research arm of the Department of Justice, their research constructed a database of every mass shooter since 1966 who shot and killed four or more people in a public place, and every shooting incident at schools, workplaces and places of worship since 1999.
Peterson and Densley also compiled detailed life histories on 180 shooters, speaking to their spouses, parents, siblings, childhood friends, work colleagues and teachers. As for the gunmen themselves, most don’t survive their carnage, but five who did talked to Peterson and Densely from prison, where they were serving life sentences. The researchers also found several people who planned a mass shooting but changed their mind.
Their findings, also published in the 2021 book, The Violence Project: How to Stop a Mass Shooting Epidemic, reveal striking commonalities among the perpetrators of mass shootings and suggest a data-backed, mental health-based approach could identify and address the next mass shooter before he pulls the trigger — if only politicians are willing to actually engage in finding and funding targeted solutions. POLITICO talked to Peterson and Densely from their offices in St. Paul, Minn., about how our national understanding about mass shooters has to evolve, why using terms like “monster” is counterproductive, and why political talking points about mental health need to be followed up with concrete action.
I think there is something to this.

Think about being a kid today and NEVER being able to escape your bullies.

Every hour of the day being bullied on social media.

When I graduated email was just starting to be a thing, we had landline phones and rode our bikes around the neighborhood. School was a big part of life, but it was just a segment, with friends being somewhat connected to school, but separate and family life separate from that. If your school life sucked...you still had friends and family...and two out if three ain't bad.

Last edited:

You fucking retard, I can absolutely assure you that a youth who for years has murdered and mutilated small animals, set fires, shot other people after dark with a bb rifle, and routinely been the subject of domestic dispute calls to the police, whilst also ruminating publicly about murdering children at school and then acted upon such desire, shooting little 8, 9, 10, and 11 year old boys & girls to death by blasting them at arms length with a rifle, literally blowing their little heads apart in a massive expulsion of blood, bone, tissue, and brain matter, 19 times in succession, suffers from no mental illness that could ever be treated, not even a tiny bit!

This is because such a creature is not truly a human being, and most likely never was one, sociopaths/psychopaths never attain full humanity and we've known that of such for a very very long time now, such is not mental illness, they are what are termed as, "character disorders," and as such there is no known treatment for them, prisons are absolutely stuffed with them for a reason! I can also tell you that every last one of those little boys and girls whose heads he methodically blew apart while giggling, would argue that the morons you claim brilliant, haven't a notion as to what a monster really is if they consider even talk of such reality to be counter-productive! :poke:

Everyone thinks the solutions to our problems are simple. They never are.
I disagree.

Most problems, whatever they are, have simple solutions. Implementing them is hard.

For example. Public school shootings can and should be reduced drastically by simply not declaring them to be gun-free safe zones. Instead of them being soft targets, make them hard targets. Reduce the number of entrances to the campus. Metal detectors at all building entrances, an armed guard in each school, and permitting properly trained employees of the school to carry a weapon. No requirement, an intruder simply would not know if anyone had a gun.

Police at the Uvalde school were stopped from entering for FORTY-FIVE MINUTES! All that time the shooter was walking through the school killing children while they were desperately calling 911 begging for help! Do you think the results would have been different had there been an armed officer in the school or if one or two of the employees had weapons? If you don't, you're one sick puppy!

Nonsense.

IF good men with guns are not a deterrent, why then are there good men with guns surrounding President Biden, Congress, all state legislators, banks, and so many more locations?
They're a deterrent for only a segment of the population. Those intent on dying but taking out as many others as possible before doing so are only going to be deterred by others with weapons to the extent that too many professionals with weapons may prevent them from committing the murders they're intent upon before they themselves are killed.

I found it really interesting that Payton Gendron, the Buffalo mass shooter SUCCESSFULLY took measures to keep himself from being killed during his shooting spree but apparently did not want to be killed at the hands of the police. It has been reported that the retired police officer who was working security at the store fired 12 rounds at Gendron but his Kevlar vest prevented him from being taken down.

Another thing I found interesting is that even though Gendron had just murdered close to a dozen people the police apparently were not in fear for their lives and didn't look too concerned as they were going through his pockets and patting him down while taking him into custody after he had threatened suicide.

Does it make sense to anyone that a shooter would wear a bulletproof vest while committing a mass shooting and then be timid about killing himself or worried about being killed by the police?

Last edited:
They're a deterrent for only a segment of the population. Those intent on dying but taking out as many others as possible before doing so are only going to be deterred by others with weapons to the extent that too many professionals with weapons may prevent them from committing the murders they're intent upon before they themselves are killed.

I found it really interesting that Payton Gendron, the Buffalo mass shooter SUCCESSFULLY took measures to keep himself from being killed during his shooting spree but apparently did not want to be killed at the hands of the police. It has been reported that the retired police officer who was working security at the store fired 12 rounds at Gendron but his Kevlar vest prevented him from being taken down.

Another thing I found interesting is that even though Gendron hadjust close to a dozen pple the police apparently were not in fear for their lives and didn't look too concerned as they were going through his pockets and patting him down while taking him into custody after he had threatened suicide.

Does it make sense to anyone that a shooter would wear a bulletproof vest while committing a mass shooting and then be timid about killing himself or worried about being killed by the police?
img_1313-whats-your-point-nana-meme-S.jpg

I’ve never heard anyone say a good guy with a gun is a deterrent. The good guy is a defense. You can’t deter someone who intends to die, and most, if not all, of these creeps plan on going out in a blaze of publicity.
If there were good guys with guns in the school they could deter the perp from killing kids by killing him first. Other would be suicide mass shooters would know their dream of killing as many kids as possible and going down in a blaze of 'glory' will never be realized.

Another thing I found interesting is that even though Gendron had just murdered close to a dozen people the police apparently were not in fear for their lives and didn't look too concerned as they were going through his pockets and patting him down while taking him into custody after he had threatened suicide.

There is so much wrong with the Buffalo shooting, that any data gained from it, should just be thrown out. It is contaminated IMO.

That manifesto bares too much in common with that Christchurch one, and, is fishy as hell. There is no evidence that Gendron actually wrote it, it could be a prank, or purposeful mis/disinformation. We just don't know.

Second, it is known among researchers, that the NeoNazis in Ukraine, the intel portion, have been over here in the US, training small reactionary parties that have participated in political events.

Before the war broke out, it was no secret, and all of the MSM, especially the more progressive media, were concerned with the fascist movement connection to the Asov battalion.

There was even a diplomatic mission with McCain, Lindsay Graham, and Amy Klobuchar to the front lines Ukrainian Marines. The most highly trained NATO trained fighters, get equipped first.

Some of these agents, have been trained by our spooks, in the US.

from Reuters;

Commentary: Ukraine’s neo-Nazi problem​

. . . and this, little known connections to Charlottesville, supported by Deep State funding.. . . :eusa_think:

FBI Documents Reveal US May Have Funded Charlottesville Rioters Through Ukrainian Neo-Nazi Group — Documents Show Ties Between Azov Battalion, US Rioters​

Screen-Shot-2022-03-10-at-2.06.21-PM-1024x578.png

Screen-Shot-2022-03-10-at-2.10.59-PM-1024x387.png

Screen-Shot-2022-03-10-at-2.12.59-PM-1024x1020.png

iu

. . . and finally? There is this. . .

Authorities Investigating Retired Federal Agent Having Contact with Buffalo Shooter Before Attack

Authorities Investigating Retired Federal Agent Having Contact with Buffalo Shooter Before Attack - The Last Refuge
suspicious-cat-3-2020_10_01-01_52_18-UTC.jpg
fbi-austin-768x487.jpg

There is so much wrong with the Buffalo shooting, that any data gained from it, should just be thrown out. It is contaminated IMO.

That manifesto bares too much in common with that Christchurch one, and, is fishy as hell. There is no evidence that Gendron actually wrote it, it could be a prank, or purposeful mis/disinformation. We just don't know.

Second, it is known among researchers, that the NeoNazis in Ukraine, the intel portion, have been over here in the US, training small reactionary parties that have participated in political events.

Before the war broke out, it was no secret, and all of the MSM, especially the more progressive media, were concerned with the fascist movement connection to the Asov battalion.

There was even a diplomatic mission with McCain, Lindsay Graham, and Amy Klobuchar to the front lines Ukrainian Marines. The most highly trained NATO trained fighters, get equipped first.

Some of these agents, have been trained by our spooks, in the US.

from Reuters;

Commentary: Ukraine’s neo-Nazi problem​

. . . and this, little known connections to Charlottesville, supported by Deep State funding.. . . :eusa_think:

FBI Documents Reveal US May Have Funded Charlottesville Rioters Through Ukrainian Neo-Nazi Group — Documents Show Ties Between Azov Battalion, US Rioters​

Screen-Shot-2022-03-10-at-2.06.21-PM-1024x578.png

Screen-Shot-2022-03-10-at-2.10.59-PM-1024x387.png

Screen-Shot-2022-03-10-at-2.12.59-PM-1024x1020.png

iu

. . . and finally? There is this. . .

Authorities Investigating Retired Federal Agent Having Contact with Buffalo Shooter Before Attack

Authorities Investigating Retired Federal Agent Having Contact with Buffalo Shooter Before Attack - The Last Refuge
suspicious-cat-3-2020_10_01-01_52_18-UTC.jpg
fbi-austin-768x487.jpg

That's a lot of information but I"m not sure what you're implying. That someone within the government planned this, wanted it to happen or let it happen?

You fucking retard, I can absolutely assure you that a youth who for years has murdered and mutilated small animals, set fires, shot other people after dark with a bb rifle, and routinely been the subject of domestic dispute calls to the police, whilst also ruminating publicly about murdering children at school and then acted upon such desire, shooting little 8, 9, 10, and 11 year old boys & girls to death by blasting them at arms length with a rifle, literally blowing their little heads apart in a massive expulsion of blood, bone, tissue, and brain matter, 19 times in succession, suffers from no mental illness that could ever be treated, not even a tiny bit!

This is because such a creature is not truly a human being, and most likely never was one, sociopaths/psychopaths never attain full humanity and we've known that of such for a very very long time now, such is not mental illness, they are what are termed as, "character disorders," and as such there is no known treatment for them, prisons are absolutely stuffed with them for a reason! I can also tell you that every last one of those little boys and girls whose heads he methodically blew apart while giggling, would argue that the morons you claim brilliant, haven't a notion as to what a monster really is if they consider even talk of such reality to be counter-productive! :poke:
Do you have anything constructive to offer? Anything at all?

Nonsense.

‘Good guy with a gun’ is not only a myth but a likely incentive for mass shooters:

Peterson: I don’t think most people realize that these are suicides, in addition to homicides. Mass shooters design these to be their final acts. When you realize this, it completely flips the idea that someone with a gun on the scene is going to deter this. If anything, that’s an incentive for these individuals. They are going in to be killed.

It’s hard to focus on the suicide because these are horrific homicides. But it’s a critical piece because we know so much from the suicide prevention world that can translate here.” ibid

As for armed security for elected officials and ‘good guy with a gun' concerning schools, that fails as a false comparison fallacy.

Forum List

Back