twisty the clown and the freudian id, ego and super-ego

shart_attack

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
hangin' with my bro e.coli
I have a theory.

Dandy Mott—the creepy, pampered son of Gloria Mott seen in the first two episodes of American Horror Story: Freak Show*—is in fact Twisty the Clown**.

american-horror-story-freak-show.jpg

I need to go back and familiarize myself with the Freudian concepts of the id, the ego and the super-ego (in particular, to attempt to identify how they may interrelate with regard to abnormal psychology***) again to understand what's afoot in the latest American Horror Story saga.

I'm pretty sure the robotic toy that Twisty tried to give his two captives in the show's second episode represents Mott's super-ego.

Mott's id = the ugliness of the character of the sick, murdering Twisty the Clown, totally unwrapped.

What say you?

Might there be something Freudian at work in this year's really creepy Freak Show antagonist?

(There usually is, you know. :thup: )

shart notes​

*American Horror Story Freak Show - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

**How Clowns Became Terrifying - The Atlantic

***Id ego and super-ego - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

I know the general concept--id being primal desires, super ego being the parental or societal injunctions and the ego which referees between the two.

I know the general concept--id being primal desires, super ego being the parental or societal injunctions and the ego which referees between the two.

Exactly.

And that's why I urge you to watch American Horror Story: Freak Show, because it's masterfully pimping those concepts.

Every season of the show has at least on some level been a psychological drama.

This season is no different.

If you're a Freud fan, you seriously need to watch it. :thup:

So what'd you think of last night's episode, AngelsNDemons?

Didja see Dandy Mott's cute little homemade clown costume?

(I think what the writers are trying to show us is that his Freudian id is evolving — or rather, devolving. :thup:)

An ID can't devolve. It's primal.

Thanks.

I wasn't a Psych major but for three semesters.

I just smell something is all. :thup:

(Do you see it now?)

Since we've seen Dandy and Twisty together, that kind of rules out Dandy being Twisty. Both of them grabbed real people, meaning one is not just a figment of the imagination of the other.

I'm trying to care about AHS: Freak Show, and failing. Each major character is an awful person in same way, or at least extremely annoying. Hopefully, some of them will start dying horribly soon.

I'm trying to care about AHS: Freak Show, and failing. Each major character is an awful person in same way, or at least extremely annoying. Hopefully, some of them will start dying horribly soon.

I hate to admit it, but I'm actually starting to lose interest in the series for the first time in its four-year-history now, too.

That episode last night hella sucked.

I'm beginning to think that the show's writers have tried to do a bit too much with this particular AHS series. Too many characters for it to stay enthralling.

It just isn't leaving me on the edge of my seat like its prior sagas, Freakshow isn't.

Since we've seen Dandy and Twisty together, that kind of rules out Dandy being Twisty. Both of them grabbed real people, meaning one is not just a figment of the imagination of the other.

Dandy certainly is evolving into his own psychological sort of Twisty — a far more narcissistic and (as unfathomable as it may seem) downright evil one, though. :thup:

Forum List

Back