TV (Netflix, HBO, etc) series worth binging?

Vikings was really good for the first 3 seasons.
The 4th season started to wane a bit, and by season 5 it was getting SJW stupid. Every single main male character in the series...all of them... was being dominated by a female character. Just like that these strong warriors became weak minded puppies wrapped around some women's pinky. By the end of Season 5 women controlled everyone and everything.
We quit watching it.

Another top favorite of mine on Amazon Prime is: The Fall ( many seasons ) used to be on NTFX

The psychological thriller examines the lives of two hunters -- one is a serial killer who preys on victims in and around Belfast, Northern Ireland, and the other is a female detective drafted from the London Metropolitan Police to catch him. The local authorities have no suspects and no experience with cases involving sexually motivated serial killers; DSI Stella Gibson has. She heads a task force dedicated to solving the crime spree, with a simple motto: Anyone not part of the solution is part of the problem. The killer? He's Paul Spector, a father and a husband leading a double life, as viewers learn from the outset. He's hiding in plain sight, the protagonist in a cat and mouse game that is every police officer's worst nightmare.

The series, starring Gillian Anderson as Detective Superintendent Stella Gibson, is created and written by Allan Cubitt and features Jamie Dornan as serial killer Paul Spector.

Awards: Edgar Award for Best Television Episode Teleplay, British Academy Television Craft Award for Best Editing - Fiction

o my white men only shows? lol...unorthodox ...is a good series...
ozark...but they have strong women...best not watch that...

o here ya go for all you white men and women...dumb and dumber

On Netflix
Locke and key
Ozark
Amazon Prime
Fortitude
Hulu
Last man on earth

Yea white guys love shows like blackish and snowfall that talk about white people all the time. Lol

Eh?
Ozark is good. We both like it a lot. Just too long between seasons. Not sure what you mean by strong women comment?
Seems pretty even to me. Strong men and women.
Vikings is a period series. It didn't bother me when they included women in fighting scenes, didn't happen of course... but OK. One of my favorite characters was Lagertha, Ragnars wife. They were equals through the first 2 seasons. Again, not accurate to the period, but again it's OK. Never claimed to be historically accurate.
The ridiculous set it when every.single.male.character. turned into this weak minded, easily manipulated puppets of their woman. All of them. Women were suddenly running everything. King Egbert, one of the most powerful Kings in ancient times that not only tamed the much more powerful Mercia, but defeated them and united the Kingdom...in the show...suddenly... he becomes this weak little mouse that allows his son's daughter to practically become his master. What in the hell was that about? Then Ragnar (who again actually existed) becoming the most powerful Nordic King, first to raid Englands settlements, defeated numerous Viking lords to join tribes into a Kingdom...again..becomes this weak foolish man succumbing to whims of a young Asian girl. Like that is realistic. I can go on.
It just got stupid.

Perfect Strangers starring my most favorite actor, Bronson Pinchot that is, will always be at the top of my list.

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly

"The Boys" on amazon prime looks interesting. A more adult 'superhero' theme show? Not sure. I'm going to give it a look in a few days provided I get time away from My Covid spreading activities.

'The Boys' is based on one of the best comic book series ever.

A major complaint of mine with Netflix is that when I see something that seems interesting and something I would like, I go through the intro and all that stuff, it turns out that it is in Swedish, Russian, French, or some other foreign language. Push comes to shove, I can catch enough French or Norwegian to get the gist of the story, but it's not fun.

I suppose I should have included a list of what I have watched and enjoyed.

The best ever: The Wire (season one, was best)
Downton Abbey- watched every episode, AND saw the movie
Ozark - like it pretty good, waiting for the next (much delayed) season,
Peaky Blinders - loved it, but had a hell of a time understanding the dialog much of the time.
Of course, the Sopranos, which deteriorated every season.
Outlander - a bitch series, but tolerable.
Dexter
True Detective,
two seasons
Game of Thrones, every fucking episode, every fucking moment - terrible ending
Six Feet Under
West World
first season only
Broadchurch

"The Boys" on amazon prime looks interesting. A more adult 'superhero' theme show? Not sure. I'm going to give it a look in a few days provided I get time away from My Covid spreading activities.

'The Boys' is based on one of the best comic book series ever.

It's not for everyone, but I loved the series. I'm a fan of Garth Ennis in general.

The first season of the show was good, and different enough from the comic that it didn't seem like a waste of time to watch it.

"Upload" on Amazon

I've heard this is good, and I am interested by the basics of the plot, but I haven't tried it yet.

In the near-future setting, your memories and consciousness can be uploaded into a virtual "heaven situation". There are many choices, all very expensive, that simulate grand hotels, Vegas type environment, even Disney Eternity. Everything in the afterlife is an add-on charge and they are constantly pressured to indulge in upgraded experiences.

There is even a basic plan, called 2 Gig, where people can continue to exist after death, but if they do more than sit and do nothing, they quickly eat up their 2 Gig a month allocation and get frozen until the end of the month or until someone adds money to their account. Even thinking too hard can burn up your data.

A very shallow type app developer who is working with a partner on developing a "freeware" paradise that would compete with the commercial heavens is mortally wounded in a suspicious car accident. His high-maintenance, clingly girlfriend talks him into uploading into a heaven account before he dies. Of course, because she's paying for him and can delete him at any time.

A support staff working in the real world bonds with him in the afterlife after finding his death suspicious.

That is, without giving too much away, the basic story. A lot of the story is about the ever more complicated relationship between the upload, his girlfriend, and the support girl and some of the story is given over to explaining his mysterious death.

Forum List

Back