TV Just lost me.

bill718

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2016
I used to like watching NCAA and NFL Football - - No More! The last few years have seen a slow but steady rise in the amount of airtime spent on ads. I understand ad revenue is important, but this has gotten out of hand. 1 NFL game I watched recently had fully 40% of the airtime on ads for everything from cars to insurance to armpit spray (I very much want to take a machine gun to Mr. Yellow insurance guy and his stupid bird!) From now on its 10 min. a week to check the scores on the internet and the rest of football can go and jump in a lake! :(

I used to like watching NCAA and NFL Football - - No More! The last few years have seen a slow but steady rise in the amount of airtime spent on ads. I understand ad revenue is important, but this has gotten out of hand. 1 NFL game I watched recently had fully 40% of the airtime on ads for everything from cars to insurance to armpit spray (I very much want to take a machine gun to Mr. Yellow insurance guy and his stupid bird!) From now on its 10 min. a week to check the scores on the internet and the rest of football can go and jump in a lake! :(
If you want to start pulling your hair out....watch ESPN+.......they play the same fcking commercial over and over and over and over.

I generally DVR the games I want to see and watch them later speed up. Slow down when I want to see a play but most of the time it’s 2x speed most races don’t do the same thing with.

Try and watch the news on any network cable or otherwise... FOX news for example is a 24 hour commercial with a splattering of news...

1 NFL game I watched recently had fully 40% of the airtime on ads for everything from cars to insurance to armpit spray

Well, Bill, I don't know the percentage but I know it is a lot. That is why I never watch NFL live. I tape the games on my DVR and timeshift. Maybe 45-60 minutes into the game I start playing it back as I do ALL of my TV, that allows me to skip over the commercials and by the time I get to the end, I've caught up with live TV.

If I watch any football live like I did on Sunday, I watch two games or something else so that when a commercial comes, I have another channel to switch to. I absolutely refuse to watch commercials for more than 1-2 seconds they are so insulting, boring and intrusive these days.

I suggest the 10 minute Youtube highlights. Yes; a few ads but such is life.

Greg

The worst is Amazon, there is no taping, fast forwarding or rewinding, they have viewers right where they want them. It's not hard to mute the TV and look on my computer, I usually have something ready to watch over the course of the game.

Liberty biberty.

I dropped that crap 20 years ago, more less. Been a while. For a period of 8 years we didn't watch any TV. After maybe to watch some breaking story or something.

The worst is Amazon, there is no taping, fast forwarding or rewinding, they have viewers right where they want them.

Fuck Amazon. Must be a streaming service. I refuse to buy into that streaming crap because they control everything. I watch it on TV or nowhere. I even have free streaming services like Pluto and a few others and almost never use them because of the BS, from the lousy GUI where you have to search through rows of pictures, to all of the BS trying to find what you want to watch, no control over anything.

I just start recording an NFL game and an hour or so later I come back and start watching. I zap commercials and just watch the play of the game. Often I run out of recording time as the 2 min break in the 4th quarter is about to happen.

Ok listen up old man. We have technology today that can solve your problem. It's called a DVR. I record every football game and I never watch them live. So I let an hour pass and then I start the game. I fast forward to the kickoff. And right after the kickoff they run another add. OMG so may adds. So I hit the ff button and zoom right to 1st down. As soon as the person is tackled I hit ff 30 seconds. It puts me right to 2nd down and the play clock is at 10 seconds. My buddy came over and said he loves watching football over here. Half time? FF x 4 and I'm through halftime in about 1 minute.

The other day they had two games on at the same time on different channels. It was so much fun watching the way I do. When I caught up on one game to where it's live and I can't ff anymore, I flip to the beginning of the other game and repeat. Flipping back and forth between games.

Forum List

Back