TURN OFF YOUR TELEVISION!!!!

Funny how they never suggested not watching T.V. back when Cronkite was king and a couple of Commie "investigative reporters" led the charge to impeach Nixon with a fake informant. Nobody suggested not watching T.V. when Dan Rather engaged in a little treason to try to influence an election with forged documents. Now that Fox dominates the news with fair and balanced news coverage all of a sudden the low information left doesn't want to play anymore.

13086218.gif

I've been watching the news too much lately and all it does is upset me, so my solution is don't watch the news for awhile.

I remember when I was on a Hawaiian vacation back in 03', how wonderful. No news at all. Just Sun and surf and listening to the wife bitch at me about getting up and going for walks. It was Heaven. I didn't feel like taking an axe-handle to the television every 15 minutes. A calm feeling creeped into my subconscious and I was at perfect ease.

I want to get that feeling back somehow. I guess not watching the news is a good start. Who needs to watch all of this mess about how we're such a racist country. How we've had not weeks, not months, not years, not decades, but centuries of racism. I don't want to hear that garbage anymore and feel like pumping rounds into Comrad Deblasio's fat face. I want to be cool. I want to just watch "Harry Potter" or throw in "Hobo With A Shotgun" an all-time classic.

I suggest the same for everyone else, because this place really sucks lately. The insanity is going full tilt 24/7.
uh WHY would you want to watch the CIA propaganda news anyways? you want to hear the news that's uncensored,you need to read from independent non biased sources not controlled by the elitist such as American free press,drudge,newsmax.media bypass,ect ect.
No, I feel it's important to only stick to the Daily Show or other "Real News Sources".

Last edited:
my vizio is internet ready

on the backside of the remote is a keypad

between the mrs and the grand kid

most of the time it is on the internet instead of dish

13086218.gif

I've been watching the news too much lately and all it does is upset me, so my solution is don't watch the news for awhile.

I remember when I was on a Hawaiian vacation back in 03', how wonderful. No news at all. Just Sun and surf and listening to the wife bitch at me about getting up and going for walks. It was Heaven. I didn't feel like taking an axe-handle to the television every 15 minutes. A calm feeling creeped into my subconscious and I was at perfect ease.

I want to get that feeling back somehow. I guess not watching the news is a good start. Who needs to watch all of this mess about how we're such a racist country. How we've had not weeks, not months, not years, not decades, but centuries of racism. I don't want to hear that garbage anymore and feel like pumping rounds into Comrad Deblasio's fat face. I want to be cool. I want to just watch "Harry Potter" or throw in "Hobo With A Shotgun" an all-time classic.

I suggest the same for everyone else, because this place really sucks lately. The insanity is going full tilt 24/7.

It is. I do this from time to time, totally avoid the news. It sucks though because then you have no idea what's going on and what everyone is talking about. :lol: You're like "who did WHAT?" Oh man, figures that's when all the super interesting stories are on the news!

you know it is time to tune out the news media

when CNN took the time to "fact check" Saturday Night Live

--LOL

13086218.gif

TV isn't bad as much as some of the content is. Need for news is debatable. If you can't do anything about it, what's being served knowing about it?

I haven't had cable since 2005 or 2006. Charter pissed me off and I told them to come get their equipment. The times I have been on the road and turned on the tv in the hotels, I found myself searching in vain for something to watch.

I hate looking at that violent animation but I really like your sig.

13086218.gif

It is. I do this from time to time, totally avoid the news. It sucks though because then you have no idea what's going on and what everyone is talking about. :lol: You're like "who did WHAT?" Oh man, figures that's when all the super interesting stories are on the news!

Actually I get a lot of that here. And almost invariably it turns out whatever I was missing wasn't worth my time anyway. Just because the TV mentality has a warped view of what's important versus what reality is.

Funny how they never suggested not watching T.V. back when Cronkite was king and a couple of Commie "investigative reporters" led the charge to impeach Nixon with a fake informant. Nobody suggested not watching T.V. when Dan Rather engaged in a little treason to try to influence an election with forged documents. Now that Fox dominates the news with fair and balanced news coverage all of a sudden the low information left doesn't want to play anymore.

Funny how "nobody" is selective. Critics have been railing against TV since its inception. This book by an ex-ad executive came out in 1978 (and is a great read).

Here's a quote from 1970:
To me there's something incredibly sad about a bunch of human beings sitting down watching something take place. ... the spectacle of millions and millions of people sitting in movie theaters and in front of television sets every night, watching a second, or third-hand reproduction of reality going on, when the real world is right there in their living room, or right outside on the street or down the block somewhere... I think it's a tool to sonombulize or hypnotize people into kind of a waking sleep. -- Jim Morrison

When it was dubbed a "vast wasteland", that was 1961 (FCC Chair Newton Minow)

"Television is called a medium because it's so rarely well done", said Ernie Kovacs, who made his living on TV in the 1950s.

Just a few "nobodies" off the top of my head. But then I'm not cursed with selective memory. No, this is not a new thing to be noticed. All of these refer to, and are built on, the inherent flaws of the technology. And all of them were uttered in Crokheit's time or even before. It's not a waste of time because crap is what TV producers produce; it's a waste of time because crap is all the medium can handle. At least as far as mass audiences -- which is after all the objective of a technology built for no other purpose that to sell people crap they don't need.

Last edited:

I hate looking at that violent animation but I really like your sig.

Sarah, if you have AdBlock, right click on any image you're tired of and select "AdBlock Plus Block Image". Gone forever. :thup:

13086218.gif

Actually I get a lot of that here. And almost invariably it turns out whatever I was missing wasn't worth my time anyway. Just because the TV mentality has a warped view of what's important versus what reality is.

I don't like being out of the loop though.

13086218.gif

I don't like being out of the loop though.

I guess what I'm saying is... "the loop" isn't all it's cracked up to be. You'll be fine. :)

Not having television would be like not having meatloaf --- it's become an American staple.

I suppose if you are against TV, even ABCD shows like "Gotham" (Fox TV)

I think it is a good idea to turn it off. There is plenty of reading material available to read here about the news on USMB - which is where I read most of my news. I read it sparingly as I'm not willing to let it have that much of my time ( the news ). To listen to a constant stream of bad news is not healthy. We should be thinking on things that are of good report not of bad report.

Something else I just thought of. There was someone here who posted the outcome of the verdict for the officer in Ferguson recently. They posted it early in the evening on USMB yet the television news did not report the outcome of that jury hearing until about 8 or 9 p.m. at night. So those who read the news here on USMB about that verdict of no indictment had the news hours earlier than those who didn't read it on USMB. Something to consider.

Forum List

Back