TURN OFF YOUR TELEVISION!!!!

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
13086218.gif

I've been watching the news too much lately and all it does is upset me, so my solution is don't watch the news for awhile.

I remember when I was on a Hawaiian vacation back in 03', how wonderful. No news at all. Just Sun and surf and listening to the wife bitch at me about getting up and going for walks. It was Heaven. I didn't feel like taking an axe-handle to the television every 15 minutes. A calm feeling creeped into my subconscious and I was at perfect ease.

I want to get that feeling back somehow. I guess not watching the news is a good start. Who needs to watch all of this mess about how we're such a racist country. How we've had not weeks, not months, not years, not decades, but centuries of racism. I don't want to hear that garbage anymore and feel like pumping rounds into Comrad Deblasio's fat face. I want to be cool. I want to just watch "Harry Potter" or throw in "Hobo With A Shotgun" an all-time classic.

I suggest the same for everyone else, because this place really sucks lately. The insanity is going full tilt 24/7.

Television is fatally flawed, unless you're a propagandist, in which case it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Which is another thing you can advertise on television.

I got rid of mine when it dawned on me that anything I wanted to watch I could get on the internet for free with the exception of live sports -- which I'd have to pay for on TV anyway to get what I want. So out it went. I've never regretted it for one second. It's a ball and chain.

Television is fatally flawed, unless you're a propagandist, in which case it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Which is another thing you can advertise on television.

I got rid of mine when it dawned on me that anything I wanted to watch I could get on the internet for free with the exception of live sports -- which I'd have to pay for on TV anyway to get what I want. So out it went. I've never regretted it for one second. It's a ball and chain.
Now if only PCs came with a 55inch screen.

Et voilà:

HDMI_TypeA_to_TypeC_cable_6ft.jpg

Friend of mine got Google Chromecast. I helped her set it up. We got it to work (after a lot of setup) but I don't recommend it, just for the convenience of not running a cable. She's getting rid of it and getting a longer HDMI.

I want a setup like that just to watch House of Cards and other things on Netflix on my TV. People are gravitating more toward PC watching simply because cable is getting so expensive.

I hear ya, Muddy. Which is why I started that thread with ENOUGH as the title.

Folks are turning on each other that used to be friendly with one another. Arguing, bickering, fighting. The well is being poisoned and this place is the well. It used to be sorta fun. Not much any more. Hence...lots and lots and lots of netflix, youtube, messing with my hippie van (it looks so cool now. Very hippyfied) and in general, playing at websites where its fun to be..like pinterest, twitter, an old fogey board where all they wanna do it chatter about jokes, humor, etc.
I keep coming back here but its getting harder and harder to do. Besides, everyone would miss me soooooooo much if I did bail. They love me. :)

They do. Just hook up your pc to your tv. I did that recently but undid it because of Survivor and Dude Your Screwed and Master Chef and Curse Of Oak Island.

My brother gave me Apple TV for Christmas last year. Since then, I've downgraded my cable service to the most basic package. Netflix, Amazon Prime and Vudu along with the Apple gizmo and I've got all the TV content I need.

I buy the MLB app every season and all the baseball games get blasted over the Internet and on to my Vizio in the living room.

My brother gave me Apple TV for Christmas last year. Since then, I've downgraded my cable service to the most basic package. Netflix, Amazon Prime and Vudu along with the Apple gizmo and I've got all the TV content I need.

I buy the MLB app every season and all the baseball games get blasted over the Internet and on to my Vizio in the living room.

I used to get the MLB.TV package (online). Last year I had Sirius XM, which carries all the games with no blackouts, so that's another option. Only thing is you usually have to listen to the home team broadcast, but that's the same with the MLB package. And SXM is a lot cheaper.

Of course that's audio as opposed to video but that's an advantage anyway, and another flaw of TV. Television anchors you down into a sedentary position, while radio lets you physically do whatever you want, and lets the imagination breathe rather than dictating all the images. And you probably find (I always do) that the radio sports announcers are better at what they do than the same team's TV announcers.

I want a setup like that just to watch House of Cards and other things on Netflix on my TV. People are gravitating more toward PC watching simply because cable is getting so expensive.

Roku is a good setup. Mostly use a tv antenna, the Roku for netflix and other online sourced and occasionally hook up the laptop to the tv.

Works fine. Haven't tried the chromecast, so can't comment b

With Chromecast you have to use the Chrome browser (of course) to pull up YouTubes or whatever you want. I found after doing that and trying to cast a Hulu page it wouldn't cast that page at all. Then maybe you have other computer stuff you'd like to do on the screen -- it's just a lot less hassle to run a cable.

They don't? :confused-84:

I wanna get a roku but am not sure how to hook it up. It needs the cord to the internet but I am out of holes in the modem to plus it in to...and the modem is in the dining room. No wireless. So that means I would have to unplug the pc cord to go to the tv..and redo it when I get back on the pc. I think. I hate gadgetry.

I wanna get a roku but am not sure how to hook it up. It needs the cord to the internet but I am out of holes in the modem to plus it in to...and the modem is in the dining room. No wireless. So that means I would have to unplug the pc cord to go to the tv..and redo it when I get back on the pc. I think. I hate gadgetry.

Gracie I think your issue is in these two words:

"no wireless"

You must be the last one. :uhh:

Roku is a good setup. Mostly use a tv antenna, the Roku for netflix and other online sourced and occasionally hook up the laptop to the tv.

Do you have to switch the setup for the tv orpc, when you eant to watch one or the other?

Do you have to switch the setup for the tv orpc, when you eant to watch one or the other?

I have a remote, harmony 650, in which I just hit a button and it switches from watching tv to watching Roku, so that made switching between devices a piece if cake.

I highly recommend it, controls a bunch of devices so you can ditch all the others. I even control a room fan with it.

It is a Logitech harmony 650. I paid $65 but have seen it cheaper now

Last edited:
13086218.gif

I've been watching the news too much lately and all it does is upset me, so my solution is don't watch the news for awhile.

I remember when I was on a Hawaiian vacation back in 03', how wonderful. No news at all. Just Sun and surf and listening to the wife bitch at me about getting up and going for walks. It was Heaven. I didn't feel like taking an axe-handle to the television every 15 minutes. A calm feeling creeped into my subconscious and I was at perfect ease.

I want to get that feeling back somehow. I guess not watching the news is a good start. Who needs to watch all of this mess about how we're such a racist country. How we've had not weeks, not months, not years, not decades, but centuries of racism. I don't want to hear that garbage anymore and feel like pumping rounds into Comrad Deblasio's fat face. I want to be cool. I want to just watch "Harry Potter" or throw in "Hobo With A Shotgun" an all-time classic.

I suggest the same for everyone else, because this place really sucks lately. The insanity is going full tilt 24/7.
uh WHY would you want to watch the CIA propaganda news anyways? you want to hear the news that's uncensored,you need to read from independent non biased sources not controlled by the elitist such as American free press,drudge,newsmax.media bypass,ect ect.

My wife can't pedal the exercise bike turned generator fast enough to generate the electricity required to power both our television and the computer...

Forum List

Back