TurboTax and the Government

It’s an old story repeated over and over. This is what happens when your government is for sale.

This is also why our tax code will never be simplified. There are too many parasitic businesses like Turbo Tax that suckle at the teat of our 70,000 page tax monstrosity. And Congress is full of lawyers which assures any measure to simplify will not pass.

Especially the IRS.
Don't know who ProPublica is so I can't attest to the complete veracity of their story.
Apparently TurboTax used every trick, dirty or otherwise to make sure filing taxes was never totally free or free to the fewest possible users and then some.

Inside TurboTax’s 20-Year Fight to Stop Americans From Filing Their Taxes for Free — ProPublica

I read that article yesterday. Terrifying to think this is the way things are done in Washington.

ProPublica is reputable..though liberal. You can see that in this article wherein the writer bemoans the fact that courts have the "power of contempt which is inherited from kings". Sheesh...

This is also why our tax code will never be simplified. There are too many parasitic businesses like Turbo Tax that suckle at the teat of our 70,000 page tax monstrosity. And Congress is full of lawyers which assures any measure to simplify will not pass.

I agree. In fact its been mentioned many times by both Republicans and Democrats that simplifying the tax code would have a devastating effect on the huge number of businesses that exist simply to service it.

It takes 12 billion dollars just to operate the IRS to see what taxes you owe. I think that comes out to costing each man, woman and child around $43 out of every year's taxes you pay.

Especially the IRS.
Don't know who ProPublica is so I can't attest to the complete veracity of their story.
Apparently TurboTax used every trick, dirty or otherwise to make sure filing taxes was never totally free or free to the fewest possible users and then some.

Inside TurboTax’s 20-Year Fight to Stop Americans From Filing Their Taxes for Free — ProPublica

Who I use.

FreeTaxUSA
They make their money selling deluxe and State packages though granted it's much cheaper than the big services.

Especially the IRS.

Yep, FREE ain't so free, just wait for that FREE healthcare and FREE college.
What does that have to do with filing taxes? :dunno:

Especially the IRS.

It has to do with the concept of getting something for free.

Especially the IRS.

Not really in this instance. Years ago we all picked up our "free" tax forms at the post office, filled them out or had a CPA do it for a fee, no problem. Though it wasn't really free as we the taxpayers paid to have the government design, print and distribute the forms. When online filing became available we the taxpayers were going to pay the government to develop, institute and maintain tax software available for everyone, doesn't mean that many wouldn't still have to pay for CPAs to do it for them.
But that's not the point of the OP, the point which you obviously missed (not surprisingly....) was how TurboTax supposedly thwarted that plan.

Last edited:
Especially the IRS.

Not really in this instance. Years ago we all picked up our "free" tax forms at the post office, filled them out or had a CPA do it for a fee, no problem. Though it wasn't really free as we the taxpayers paid to have the government design, print and distribute the forms. When online filing became available we the taxpayers were going to pay the government to develop, institute and maintain tax software available for everyone, doesn't mean that many wouldn't still have to pay for CPAs to do it for them.
But that's not the point of the OP, the point which you obviously missed (not surprisingly....) was how TurboTax supposedly thwarted that plan.

Great, another one that feels they'll be getting something for free.

Especially the IRS.

I will be getting free dough after the lawsuit...

I will be getting free dough after the lawsuit...

Yea, think of that $2.99 as a refund or rebate.

Especially the IRS.

Yup, you're stupid enough to actually get that out of what I posted. :rolleyes:

I've always done my own taxes ... they're not that hard ... why pay someone? ...
I've also always done my own bookkeeping ... maybe that's not as easy, but I grew my expertise as my business grew ... about once every ten years I'd run it by a CPA just to make sure I was doing things right ...
It usually took me a couple weeks to cycle my books ... but once done, only a couple hours to fill of tax forms ... it really isn't that hard ...

Forum List

Back