Trying to can peaches

ARRRRGGG...so I buy some peaches, I get all the stuff ready. I pop the peaches into boiling water like you're supposed to, 30-60 seconds, then into cold water. The skins are supposed to slip off, but they didn't. Undaunted, I peel a couple..and I can't get the things off the fucking pit. I'm supposed to halve and pit them, there's no halving, no pitting because they are cemented to the pits. I'm exerting all my strength trying to get the fucking piece of shit bastard peaches off the goddamn pits and all I can do is get slimy chunks...not halves..and half the peach is still stuck to the pit.

What the screaming hell is with selling peaches that are inedible to eat, hard as rock, but also impossible to can? They're worthless. I wasted the money I spent on them because they aren't good for anything, plus I made simple syrup (a quart of sugar) wasted.

Crap crap crap crap crap I hate it when something that takes so much planning falls to shit.

You should slice a large X on the bottoms of the peaches to help with the skin slip.....

and yes.... do to half's... you will have better luck with free stone peaches. I love my peach jam!

It is really yummy and verrrry peachy tasting.

I love jam but I've been bummed lately because the cheap stuff I pick up at grocery outlet tastes like absolutely nothing. It has no flavor. Sooo it's nice to have some that does taste like something, other than just goo.

I'm going to make orange marmalade next. I would have made it today except you have to let it sit 12-18 hours then finish it and my schedule won't allow that unless I start at like 3 am. Which I might do tomorrow night. I'd like to have some this weekend to share with the fam. I also want to make some pickles...but there are no affordable little cukes here!

It's kind of ironic that now I'm finally into canning, I no longer live where I can easily pick up pretty much any sort of produce I want by the bushel. I'm no longer in the middle of thousands of square miles of incredible farmland. This time of year I could drive down the road a few miles and pick up any veggie I wanted, for cheap....or fruit....not now, not here. Oh well, I'll make due.

And right now oranges are fairly cheap, so I'm going with marmalade.

Ive never made marmalade.

Ive always wanted to spend a summer with some old amish woman and pick her brain about all the canning secrets of the world. Its just not something you do much here. Ive only ever done peach, blueberry, blackberry,apricot jam...and tomato sauce.

Ive never made marmalade.

Ive always wanted to spend a summer with some old amish woman and pick her brain about all the canning secrets of the world. Its just not something you do much here. Ive only ever done peach, blueberry, blackberry,apricot jam...and tomato sauce.

My mom & dad's families canned a lot...my mom and aunts all canned all sorts of fruit, my cousins can everything under the sun...tunafish, venison mincemeat, meatloaf, for pete's sakes.

I'm going to stick with beans until I get it right, 3 of my pints didn't seal. I think it's because I didn't crank the heat high enough right at first so the lids jiggled and didn't seal. Though I see that strawberries are kind of cheap here today, I might make a little batch of strawberry jam tonight.

Got more beans...hitting it again tonight.

Then I'm going to do some carrots...then I might try corn.

I've decided I'm going to do more beans this evening...and then do my marmalade at one or two. That will put me right in the gold zone for finishing the marmalade tomorrow after dinner.

I've decided I'm going to do more beans this evening...and then do my marmalade at one or two. That will put me right in the gold zone for finishing the marmalade tomorrow after dinner.

family recipe or one from he web?

ARRRRGGG...so I buy some peaches, I get all the stuff ready. I pop the peaches into boiling water like you're supposed to, 30-60 seconds, then into cold water. The skins are supposed to slip off, but they didn't. Undaunted, I peel a couple..and I can't get the things off the fucking pit. I'm supposed to halve and pit them, there's no halving, no pitting because they are cemented to the pits. I'm exerting all my strength trying to get the fucking piece of shit bastard peaches off the goddamn pits and all I can do is get slimy chunks...not halves..and half the peach is still stuck to the pit.

What the screaming hell is with selling peaches that are inedible to eat, hard as rock, but also impossible to can? They're worthless. I wasted the money I spent on them because they aren't good for anything, plus I made simple syrup (a quart of sugar) wasted.

Crap crap crap crap crap I hate it when something that takes so much planning falls to shit.

difference between cling and freestone peaches - Google Search

I'm trying really hard not to kill anyone, lol.

The acid level has to be right is all i know. Make sure all the beans are looking good...and have everything sterilized. Are you using a water bath or pressure canner?

Pressure canner.
You don't have to sterilize for pressure canning, the prolonged heat sterilizes it. That's the theory, anyway.

High acid fruits and veggies (aka tomatoes and pickles) can be processed in a water bath...but all the other veggies and other stuff have to be pressure canned.

I did my peach jam in a water bath....but the beans are pressure canned.

Can't hurt.

I made more beans today, I had to do the batch 2x because half of the liquid came out in the canner. So I unsealed the bastards and topped them off with more liquid and did it again...with better success. Still lost some of the liquid, but not half.

The beans are completely, ridiculously mushy...the first time around processed them at about 13 lbs for 20 minutes, which is 2 lbs over what they're supposed to be at...and the result is really done, done done beans.

I took the kids out to scout for berries, and we found blackberries, enough to make a batch of jelly. So I juiced them and will make blackberry jelly tomorrow night. The kids LOVE to pick berries! Go figure...I always hated it as a kid. I remember it being hot, and scratchy...and I never got as much as everybody else. And huckleberries, omg, don't even go there. You pick and pick and pick and you have like 3 tablespoons of berries at the end.

But the kids were great...at the end, I just parked and let them out and they did the work. Next time, I'll have to bring a book or something. My daughter is a berry fiend, and will eat them steadily as long as she has access to them. The boy makes up for it though, as he likes to pick but doesn't like to eat them much. His question about jelly making..."are you making the kind that you make with your feet?"

Hahahaha we watched some show that showed people squishing berries with their feet...I think it was for jam, not wine..I think he was disappointed that we weren't going to be doing that. It would be right up his alley.

Can't hurt.

I made more beans today, I had to do the batch 2x because half of the liquid came out in the canner. So I unsealed the bastards and topped them off with more liquid and did it again...with better success. Still lost some of the liquid, but not half.

The beans are completely, ridiculously mushy...the first time around processed them at about 13 lbs for 20 minutes, which is 2 lbs over what they're supposed to be at...and the result is really done, done done beans.

I took the kids out to scout for berries, and we found blackberries, enough to make a batch of jelly. So I juiced them and will make blackberry jelly tomorrow night. The kids LOVE to pick berries! Go figure...I always hated it as a kid. I remember it being hot, and scratchy...and I never got as much as everybody else. And huckleberries, omg, don't even go there. You pick and pick and pick and you have like 3 tablespoons of berries at the end.

Im sorry about your beans. Do you cook them before you can them?

I prefer to make jam.... easier. :tongue:

Forum List

Back