Trumps Tariffs on China causing businesses to leave China? The NYT's thinks so

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
One Trump Victory: Companies Rethink China

This news finally trickled down to my local news. Was surprised to see this lead the 6am local news this morning. The blurb was quite small as pro Trump news never lasts long but nevertheless I did a bit of digging and found this gem.

THE NYT PRAISED TRUMP POLICY!

Someone check the pulse of those running the times. See if they are alive after this report.

This news finally trickled down to my local news. Was surprised to see this lead the 6am local news this morning. The blurb was quite small as pro Trump news never lasts long but nevertheless I did a bit of digging and found this gem.

Someone check the pulse of those running the times. See if they are alive after this report.

So, companies are shifting from China to other low wage countries...how does that benefit the US?

So, companies are shifting from China to other low wage countries...how does that benefit the US?

Boooo. You spoiled the troll post with details.

Yeah…amazingly when you tariff Chinese goods and a company has a means to produce and ship goods from another nation…they shift production and shipping to that nation.

A simple way to think about tariffs is this:

ABC company makes a widget in China. It sells for $10.00 to the importer. So it is sold at Wal*Mart for $15.00.

A 25% tariff is imposed.

So ABC company makes a widget in China. It now sells for $12.50 to the importer. So it is now sold at Wal*Mart for $17.50.

Meanwhile, XYZ company had a widget made in Vietnam. It sells and is still sold to the importer for $11.00. And it was on the shelf at Wal*Mart for $16.50.

Before the Chinese Tariff, the Vietnamese widget was not getting a sniff because it was $1.50 more than the Chinese widget. But now, it is a $1.00 less.

So who are the winners?

The American Consumer? No. She is paying $1.50 more for a widget.
The importer (Wal Mart in this case)? No. They are selling fewer widgets all together
The Chinese? No. They are making fewer widgets and would arguably be getting paid less.
The Vietnamese? Yes. Especially when they find out that they can actually raise their price some and still under cut their opponents in the widget market.

and yet no one takes Trump up on his zero tariffs offer...…..why do they punish their citizens with higher prices?

• Banned

Because if the trend continues it will force China to the negotiating table in good faith. Which is of course the goal of tariffs.

Derp

Because if the trend continues it will force China to the negotiating table in good faith. Which is of course the goal of tariffs.

Derp

we're maybe 4% of their economy , while they hold the lions share of our debt

~S~

and yet no one takes Trump up on his zero tariffs offer...…..why do they punish their citizens with higher prices?

When Trump starts to talk about zero subsidies, then come talk to me.
No Deal: Trump Offers Zero-Tariff Deal, EU Refuses
try to keep up

That is because the EU knows that Trump does not have the power to remove all tariffs.

Also, zero tariffs is useless as long as countries subsidize industries.

Both need to go away...

They have been moving to Mexico instead of China for years, due to shipping costs, and closer to home. The auto manufactures grow in China due to more people.
All the tariffs done was make things more expensive.

Read the 2012 article:

The shift in production at Siemens is part of a little publicized manufacturing revolution in Mexico taking place across a range of industries from cars and aircraft to refrigerators and computers. For the first time in a decade, Latin America’s second-largest economy has become a credible competitor to China.

During the first half of this year, Mexico accounted for 14.2 per cent of manufactured imports into the US, the world’s largest importer. In 2005, Mexico’s share was just 11 per cent. Surprisingly, China, which gained huge chunks of the US import market for many years, has started to lose ground. From a high of 29.3 per cent of the total at the end of 2009, it has now shrunk to 26.4 per cent.Subscribe to read | Financial Times

Last edited:

Yeah…amazingly when you tariff Chinese goods and a company has a means to produce and ship goods from another nation…they shift production and shipping to that nation.

ABC company makes a widget in China. It sells for $10.00 to the importer. So it is sold at Wal*Mart for $15.00.

A 25% tariff is imposed.

So ABC company makes a widget in China. It now sells for $12.50 to the importer. So it is now sold at Wal*Mart for $17.50.

Meanwhile, XYZ company had a widget made in Vietnam. It sells and is still sold to the importer for $11.00. And it was on the shelf at Wal*Mart for $16.50.

Before the Chinese Tariff, the Vietnamese widget was not getting a sniff because it was $1.50 more than the Chinese widget. But now, it is a $1.00 less.

So who are the winners?

The importer (Wal Mart in this case)? No. They are selling fewer widgets all together
The Chinese? No. They are making fewer widgets and would arguably be getting paid less.
The Vietnamese? Yes. Especially when they find out that they can actually raise their price some and still under cut their opponents in the widget market.
Or the market buys a different widget elsewhere. Too many variables to say we will all die because of tariffs.

Love how everyone in our throwaway society is so worried that their cheap Chinese junk will cost them more. While they do not even think that the cheap (insert country) junk maybe slightly higher quality and last slightly longer. The thought never goes through there head that if they must pay a dollar or two for Chinese junk in the short term it may in later times be worth it. They never consider that companies that first produced the product have been forced out of the market because China allowed their countrymen to steal the idea and produce it with cheap parts all while not paying the original company a cent.

The worry is that my junk that I will throw out next month is costing me more.

A 25% tariff is imposed.

So who are the winners?

The Chinese have thier tentacles all over south east asia .....Vietnam included
The VC hate them

probably cant count the cutting rooms alone

He got a quick result out of Mexicans
he may turn up the heat on china after the G20

ANd golly gee multinationals and others are considering their options

shocker
some will stay overseas another shocker

Both already said by myself anda couple others with brains last frigging month zzzzzzz

When Trump starts to talk about zero subsidies, then come talk to me.
No Deal: Trump Offers Zero-Tariff Deal, EU Refuses
try to keep up

That is because the EU knows that Trump does not have the power to remove all tariffs.

Also, zero tariffs is useless as long as countries subsidize industries.

Both need to go away...
No its because they like the cash......

Love how everyone in our throwaway society is so worried that their cheap Chinese junk will cost them more. While they do not even think that the cheap (insert country) junk maybe slightly higher quality and last slightly longer. The thought never goes through there head that if they must pay a dollar or two for Chinese junk in the short term it may in later times be worth it. They never consider that companies that first produced the product have been forced out of the market because China allowed their countrymen to steal the idea and produce it with cheap parts all while not paying the original company a cent.

Go through your home, most everything is put together in China, and by the way tramp has and had his wares made in China and Ivanka just got a few patents from the country. He also used illegal immigrants and steel from China.

Go through your home, most everything is put together in China, and by the way tramp has and had his wares made in China and Ivanka just got a few patents from the country. He also used illegal immigrants and steel from China.
Lol you are so dependable. Other companies have also had their stuff made in China but leave it to a first grader to single out only someone she hates.

Can you prove that he himself and not someone in his employ knowingly hired illegals? Or are you just playing your usual CNN told me I hate Trump card?

I tend to pay a little more for things since I was brought up and believe that you get what you pay for. If it costs me a few dollars more for something that may last longer I don't mind. If I buy something that is made in China and because of the tariffs it costs me more right now I will pay the added cost. I was never a big fan of Nixion and his idea of being fantastic friends with the Chinese in the first place. Giving them the lions share of our economy was and is not a good idea. Allowing them to take advantage of us is a terrible idea. Allowing them to steal intellectual property even worse. Allowing them to spy on us and use their military against us while giving them trade concessions is the worst idea. Doing so just because you want to buy cheaply made goods at cheap prices is beyond idiotic.

China is the enemy of the United States. Doing business with them is counter productive

POTUS knows what he is doing

We must be willing to pay our fair share to bring back Economic Nationalism...... just like E Warren aka... Mrs Tonto wants

-Geaux

A move from China to ANY other jurisdiction is good. No other nation is as controlled and represents an existential threat to America than China does. Made the products in Vietnam or other locations. Better than solely farming out to one Communist Super Power.

Lol you are so dependable. Other companies have also had their stuff made in China but leave it to a first grader to single out only someone she hates.

Can you prove that he himself and not someone in his employ knowingly hired illegals? Or are you just playing your usual CNN told me I hate Trump card?

I tend to pay a little more for things since I was brought up and believe that you get what you pay for. If it costs me a few dollars more for something that may last longer I don't mind. If I buy something that is made in China and because of the tariffs it costs me more right now I will pay the added cost. I was never a big fan of Nixion and his idea of being fantastic friends with the Chinese in the first place. Giving them the lions share of our economy was and is not a good idea. Allowing them to take advantage of us is a terrible idea. Allowing them to steal intellectual property even worse. Allowing them to spy on us and use their military against us while giving them trade concessions is the worst idea. Doing so just because you want to buy cheaply made goods at cheap prices is beyond idiotic.

I went thought most things in my home long ago, and the one thing I found one of few things made in the USA was Pyrex measuring cups and several other things, most old things left over from our Mothers, dishes and such. You are hard pressed to find anything not made in China. And I wish they had the dollar stores , such as Family Dollar or Dollar General when I was first setting up an apartment or home. It would of saved a lot of money. I bet if you go through your home you will find a lot of things not made in the USA. I shop price, that is the conservative in me I guess.

I guess if you read , you will find Tramp has a long history of not paying illegals and scam wages, see he is as cheap as can be.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back