Trump's lawyers propose 2026 trial date in federal election case

Tunafish

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2023
I agree. Postpone is better. This is another witch-hunt. I am voting Trump forever. I am pure MAGA to the bone. 100% MAGA

(Reuters) -Lawyers for Donald Trump on Thursday asked a federal judge in Washington to schedule an April 2026 trial for the former president, on federal charges that he allegedly sought to overturn his 2020 election loss to Democrat Joe Biden.

That requested date would place the trial after the November 2024 U.S. election, in which Trump is the front-runner for the Republican nomination.

"The public interest lies in justice and fair trial, not a rush to judgment," Trump's attorneys wrote on Thursday.

U.S. Special Counsel Jack Smith, whose office is prosecuting the federal 2020 election case against Trump, last Thursday asked U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan to schedule a trial to start on Jan. 2, 2024. That date is two weeks before the first votes are cast in the 2024 Republican presidential primary.

There are 16 million pages of discovery. The first batch is 11.6 million and none have been provided as of yet.
The statist left fears that which they cannot subdue & control. I wonder what this investigation of Trump has cost the American taxpayers?

I agree. Postpone is better. This is another witch-hunt. I am voting Trump forever. I am pure MAGA to the bone. 100% MAGA

(Reuters) -Lawyers for Donald Trump on Thursday asked a federal judge in Washington to schedule an April 2026 trial for the former president, on federal charges that he allegedly sought to overturn his 2020 election loss to Democrat Joe Biden.

That requested date would place the trial after the November 2024 U.S. election, in which Trump is the front-runner for the Republican nomination.

"The public interest lies in justice and fair trial, not a rush to judgment," Trump's attorneys wrote on Thursday.

U.S. Special Counsel Jack Smith, whose office is prosecuting the federal 2020 election case against Trump, last Thursday asked U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan to schedule a trial to start on Jan. 2, 2024. That date is two weeks before the first votes are cast in the 2024 Republican presidential primary.

It seems wildly unlikely. There is a constitutional requirement to have a speedy trial....unless there's a good reason not to.

And your imagining this is a witch hunt isn't a good enough reason.

I'd say the odds of a 2026 delay is that number that comes *just* after zero.

It seems wildly unlikely. There is a constitutional requirement to have a speedy trial....unless there's a good reason not to.

And your imagining this is a witch hunt isn't a good enough reason.

I'd say the odds of a 2026 delay is that number that comes *just* after zero.

The requirement is only for a defendant and DC judges have ignored that in dozens of J6 cases.

And when there are 16 million pages of discovery it takes years to go over there can be no 'speedy' trial.

The requirement is only for a defendant and DC judges have ignored that in dozens of J6 cases.
Not according to the judges in those cases.

And when there are 16 million pages of discovery it takes years to go over there can be no 'speedy' trial.

16 million pages of discovery according to who?

A few days ago you offered us a fake link to a massive 'trump filing in georgia' that was a total scam. So your word alone isn't going to be enough.

Not according to the judges in those cases.
Oh, so delaying simple trials for so long is just okay as long as biased judges say so. Got it.

16 million pages of discovery according to who?

A few days ago you offered us a fake link to a massive 'trump filing in georgia' that was a total scam. So your word alone isn't going to be enough.

Derp.

... the first batch of discovery material it will share with Trump's team includes roughly 11.6 million pages. The government expects to finish gathering all the material by Aug. 28, when a status conference is scheduled in the case.​

Oh, so delaying simple trials for so long is just okay as long as biased judges say so. Got it.

Biased....according to who? Is it you, citing yourself?

You get that you citing you isn't a legal standard, right? That you disagreeing with a judge doesn't have the slightest relevance to the constitutionality or validity of their rulings?

And 16 million according to who? You'll need to show us, not tell us. You're just not reliable enough to take seriously.

Biased....according to who? Is it you, citing yourself?

You get that you citing you isn't a legal standard, right? That you disagreeing with a judge doesn't have the slightest relevance to the constitutionality or validity of their rulings?

And 16 million according to who? You'll need to show us, not tell us. You're just not reliable enough to take seriously.

Derp. And you ignored my link in post #8, no surprise.

You can't find a more reliable and accurate poster than me on this board.

Derp.

You can't find a more reliable and accurate poster than me on this board.

So....16 million pages, because *you* said so?

Yeah, there's not delaying Trump's trial until 2026 because you said something on a message board.

Oh, you edited your post after I replied to it. Sneaky. And would you like to bet that the case won't be delayed years?

Cry more, troll.

Smiling.....so that's a 'no' on that bet on the trials delay for years?

Per you, it will take years and years to review the discovery. But we both know the trial isn't going to be delayed until 2026.

Smiling.....so that's a 'no' on that bet on the trials delay for years?

Per you, it will take years and years to review the discovery. But we both know the trial isn't going to be delayed until 2026.

:abgg2q.jpg:

Forum List

Back