Trump's Defense Pick Accused of Delaying Aid to Wounded Soldiers

strollingbones

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2008
chicken farm
On December 5, 2001, as the wreckage of the twin towers still smoldered in lower Manhattan, a team of Army Green Berets accompanying Hamid Karzai, the future president of Afghanistan, was hit by a U.S. smart bomb in a case of friendly fire.

Two American soldiers died instantly and a third was badly wounded. He would later die, thought it is unclear whether that soldier would have survived had a rescue team arrived more quickly. Dozens of Afghans also were killed, and the CIA officer who now runs the agency's spying arm protected Karzai with his body.

snip

He was indecisive and betrayed his duty to us, leaving my men to die during the golden hour when he could have reached us," Jason Amerine, who led the Army special forces operation as a captain, said in a Facebook post Friday morning.

"Every element in Afghanistan tried to help us except the closest friendly unit, commanded by Mattis," added Amerine, who retired as a lieutenant colonel and made news in recent years as a prominent critic of the Obama administration's hostage policies.

The 15th anniversary of the Afghanistan friendly fire incident is Monday. Master Sgt. Jefferson Donald Davis, 39; Sgt. 1st Class Daniel Henry Petithory, 32; and Staff Sgt. Brian Cody Prosser, 28, were killed.

Ultimately, an Air Force Special Forces unit based three hours away, in Pakistan, sent older helicopters to rescue Amerine and his men. Three more Afghans and a badly-wounded American, Brian Cody Prosser, died on the way to the hospital, according to the book. It is not known whether any of them could have been saved.

A former Green Beret accuses Trump's Defense pick of delaying help to wounded soldiers

It's interesting that his accusation comes this late in the game. From an article on how he was dismissed from his position at the Pentagon, there is absolutely no mention of his men being left to die by Mattis.

"On the morning of December 5, just outside the town of Shawali Kowt, an American B-52 that had received faulty coordinates dropped a 2,000-pound satellite-guided bomb directly on top of Amerine’s men. Three Green Berets and 27 Afghans were killed, and every man was wounded, including Amerine, who took shrapnel in his leg. Three days later, the supreme leader of the Taliban, Mullah Mohammed Omar, fled Kandahar on the back of a Honda motorcycle as the city fell to the coalition.

Amerine’s team earned three Silver Stars, seven Bronze Stars and 11 Purple Hearts. His story was immortalized in a New York Times best-seller, Eric Blehm’s The Only Thing Worth Dying For. In January 2002, he was invited as a guest of President George W. Bush to the first post-9/11 State of the Union address. He visited New York, rang the closing bell of the New York Stock Exchange and did interviews with CBS, Fox and CNBC. He returned to West Point to teach international relations and Arabic to the young men who would take his place in the war. When he moved to Washington to work at the Pentagon, he received the orders that would derail his career. "

U.S.
Why Is the FBI Trying to Bury a Special Forces War Hero?
By Michael Ames On 9/2/15 at 6:58 AM

This will have no bearing on his confirmation.

The only question that remains is whether or not the Deomcrats will insist that the 7 year rule be applied. If they do, they can block him.

Now...if the Dems were led by McConnell and Ryan, we know what they would do. We saw that with Merrick Garner. They'd do anything to oppose the POTUS. Even buck centuries of tradition and snub their noses at the constitution.

They aren't, thoùgh. And he will be given a waiver. The Dems are interested in making the best of a bad situation.

Now...to the point of the OP. Nobody is perfect and I'm military situations, bad calls are made sometimes. Sometimes lives are given for the greater good.....or what the decision maker believes is the greater good. Unless he acted negligently or some other devastating proof emerges, this event isn't something that would force sane, logical people to oppose the man.

I'm a little more concerned with what he's been doing since he retired from active duty. But that won't prevent his confirmation either.

Let's hope Trump listens to the guy.

The only question that remains is whether or not the Deomcrats will insist that the 7 year rule be applied. If they do, they can block him.

Now...if the Dems were led by McConnell and Ryan, we know what they would do. We saw that with Merrick Garner. They'd do anything to oppose the POTUS. Even buck centuries of tradition and snub their noses at the constitution.

They aren't, thoùgh. And he will be given a waiver. The Dems are interested in making the best of a bad situation.

Now...to the point of the OP. Nobody is perfect and I'm military situations, bad calls are made sometimes. Sometimes lives are given for the greater good.....or what the decision maker believes is the greater good. Unless he acted negligently or some other devastating proof emerges, this event isn't something that would force sane, logical people to oppose the man.

I'm a little more concerned with what he's been doing since he retired from active duty. But that won't prevent his confirmation either.

Why should he listen to him?

You can't survive without conflict in your day, huh? Must be rough.

He should listen to him because he knows that torture doesn't work and because he's got a clue about how the world works. That's why. Trump is a full time student now....and he likes to ditch class.

He should listen to him because he knows that torture doesn't work and because he's got a clue about how the world works. That's why. Trump is a full time student now....and he likes to ditch class.

Trump has picked his advisor. Mattis.

Trump has picked his advisor. Mattis.

You think the Sec Def is an advisor?

Why so ignorant?

"a prominent critic of the Obama administration's hostage policies," the retired LTC is contacting every member of the Senate personally on the matter.

His input will be a thousand times more effective than any of his naysayers.

Because Mattis has a brain, something that Trump lacks.

So you're saying that because he failed to render aid during fighting he should be Secretary of State?
Secretary of Defense: pay attention.

Those are your words, not mine, sw.

Mattis' supporters are saying that he should be confirmed. I am saying he should not

But if failing to send aid was OK for Hillary and supported by all you libs, why is it a bar to Mattis?
I am not a liberal, you are not an American patriot, but you are saying you support Hillary's actions, so you are saying you support Mattis, who acted like Hillary, to be president. You can't have it both ways.

But if failing to send aid was OK for Hillary and supported by all you libs, why is it a bar to Mattis?
I am not a liberal, you are not an American patriot, but you are saying you support Hillary's actions, so you are saying you support Mattis, who acted like Hillary, to be president. You can't have it both ways.
Who did you vote for Jake?

I am not a liberal,
Yeah, right.

you are not an American patriot,
I served my country, did you?

but you are saying you support Hillary's actions, .
No I'm not, I'm mocking all the libs that said it just didn't matter.

so you are saying you support Mattis, who acted like Hillary, to be president.
Mattis isn't running for president.

On December 5, 2001, as the wreckage of the twin towers still smoldered in lower Manhattan, a team of Army Green Berets accompanying Hamid Karzai, the future president of Afghanistan, was hit by a U.S. smart bomb in a case of friendly fire.

Two American soldiers died instantly and a third was badly wounded. He would later die, thought it is unclear whether that soldier would have survived had a rescue team arrived more quickly. Dozens of Afghans also were killed, and the CIA officer who now runs the agency's spying arm protected Karzai with his body.

snip

He was indecisive and betrayed his duty to us, leaving my men to die during the golden hour when he could have reached us," Jason Amerine, who led the Army special forces operation as a captain, said in a Facebook post Friday morning.

"Every element in Afghanistan tried to help us except the closest friendly unit, commanded by Mattis," added Amerine, who retired as a lieutenant colonel and made news in recent years as a prominent critic of the Obama administration's hostage policies.

The 15th anniversary of the Afghanistan friendly fire incident is Monday. Master Sgt. Jefferson Donald Davis, 39; Sgt. 1st Class Daniel Henry Petithory, 32; and Staff Sgt. Brian Cody Prosser, 28, were killed.

Ultimately, an Air Force Special Forces unit based three hours away, in Pakistan, sent older helicopters to rescue Amerine and his men. Three more Afghans and a badly-wounded American, Brian Cody Prosser, died on the way to the hospital, according to the book. It is not known whether any of them could have been saved.

A former Green Beret accuses Trump's Defense pick of delaying help to wounded soldiers

And it begins.........how soon before Mattis is called a racist, a homophobe.......let us all turn to page one in the democrat party playbook on how to attack Republican nominees........we will go directly to the Jeff Sessions and Robert Bork chapters and skip the Clarence Thomas chapter since he was confirmed.....

snip

And it begins.........how soon before Mattis is called a racist, a homophobe.......let us all turn to page one in the democrat party playbook on how to attack Republican nominees........we will go directly to the Jeff Sessions and Robert Bork chapters and skip the Clarence Thomas chapter since he was confirmed.....

Victim. You are a professional victim.

No asswipe...the first ones to stop the process due to an election were the democrats....moron....and they also ended the filibuster...another long and honored tradition......the democrats will do anything for power...so sell your crap to democrat borg drones....

Forum List

Back